• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Antenna distance

ftxfrenzy8

Hi guys on my nitro buggy that I've had for a while when I use it I dont seem to be able to go far without it run away at full throttle the furthest I can get is about 20-25 metres and i don't think that's far enough as you see a lot of other peoples buggies on YouTube about 50 metres away maybe more is there any way I can improve the range/distance of the transmitter or antenna on the car. If you could please give me some advice on how I can fix or improve this. Thanks help would be much appreciated thanks.

If your guesstimate of 20-25m range is right...then I would think something is wrong.

I have radio sets from the 1980s with more range than that.

Failsafe as already mentioned is important to be set and personally I check it everytime before starting the engine- turn Tx on, then Rx and when you turn Tx off the failsafe should operate.

A simple way to check range is to turn Tx and Rx on...then walk away from the vehicle whilst operating the steering....when the steering stops working that is your range...(if you get far enough away that you can no longer see if the wheels are turning then you either have good range or need an eye check :) ).

Many things can cause the range to be lower than it should/could be, I will list some things... (and note I only know FM/AM sets but most things will apply to all).

Low battery levels at either end.

Damaged (or not fully extended) aerials at either end.

Built up areas (trees/buildings/car/etc.).

Corroded or "dodgy" battery connections or on/off switch.

Interference and vibration (this cover a whole host of WTH things that can happen).

Finally faulty Tx or Rx.

• Like 2