• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Possible Engine over heating? ( Hpi Trophy Truggy 4.6 )

RC_ maniac

Hi all,

Took my hpi trophy 4.6 truggy out earlier today and at first it would not start at all, took glow plug out, cycled engine then put it back it and heated the black engine casing with a hair dryer until it was fairly warm( before doing this i did accidently spill a couple of drops of fuel inside the engine heatsink but the glow plug was in and wiped it up with some tissue.

it then started A couple of pulls later. Took it steady 1/3 throttling for a couple of mintues then was bashing it in a local park on grass. A couple of mintues later i drove the car near me to check how much fuel was left and noticed on driving back there was a small bit of clear smoke was coming from the engine heatsink. I immediality turned the car off and let it cool down. The car on return was only going full speed then It seemed like either i loss some power for a couple of seconds or it was the semi wet/tall grass i really dont know.

Now thinking about it im not sure if that smoke was just the fuel that i spilt or the engine was over heating?. the heatsink wasnt srotching hot just normal and i didnt have a temperature gun to hand to check how hot it actually was.

Took the glow plug out and it all seemed fine not burnt or nothing?, put after run oil in and pulled the pullstart a couple of times and everything seemed fine. Just wondering what you guys think and how i could check if the engine actually did over heat?.

try to richen up the hsn 1/8 of a turn as you say you sort of loss of power on top end , so it seems lean , your best bet is the spit test , when up to running temperature , spit on the head and if it takes a few seconds to fizz away then its ok but if it fizzes straight away then its lean , so reichen it up