• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mbx7r

Lo08nyb

Hi guys,

Just pushed the button on a new mugen mbx7r :) very excited to say the least!

Not going to run it in winter as the bad weather eats bearings as iv learnt in my MBX6!

Going all out with the new car haven't really set a budget as its gong to be a pure racing buggy.

Going for a PICCO Boost .21 5TR CER Team Spec engine and pipe combo but unsure on servos and new radio gear....any one got any suggestions?

Cheers!

Congrats! and welcome to mafia (assuming it's your first Mugen). I run a 6R (with clocked P5/2058) and its monstrous., That 5TR is a very impressive looking engine. I know guys with some and they say they've never seen an engine hold its tune this well and will idle like no engine they've seen. What pipe? I've seen it rip with 9886/41001 and the 2099 so can recommend those two Post up some pics! BTW, if you are looking for aftermarket bodies the FTW Nightfox is pretty slick, IMO  Much stronger than the Bitty Design too. 

MugenMBX6r_zps9b3e001b.jpg

Hi mate,

Thanks for the post, this will be my 2nd mugen I currently run a mbx6r with a fastrax enduro engine which I plan to run through the rest of winter and keep the 7r for next summers racing (April onwards or as soon as it stops raining)

No photos yet as it's still sat in the box, I plan to build it over Christmas as I have allot of time off this year.

About 6 people run the boost engine and it has fantastic feedback, one of the racers has put 7 gallons through one and still runs perfect no bearings and hasn't been pinched!

Just need to decide what servos and new radio gear, Like I said in the post above I'm going to go all out on this one iv not really got a budget but would like to get the servos and radio gear for 500 or less.

Also like your paint design looks really smart! I'll try and post a photo of my mbx6r

Cheers

Alex

If you like sticks, I use a sanwa exzes X and it's been a fantastic radio. Tons of functions, really comfortable and I really feel connected with the car. Downside is receivers are a little pricey!

As for servos, there are many to choose from. Xpert get rave reviews but I've been using a trusty old ace ds 1015 for a couple of years without any issues racing in all sorts of weather.

I found the mbx7 to be a nice step up from my old 6. Hope you have lots of fun with it!

Hi guys,

I use a wheel controller, unsure what to look at really heard spectrum have mixed reviews...I use a abisma cr3p at the moment and haven't had any trouble with it. They do an upgraded version of it so might have a look into that!

I've seen too many problems with spectrums while racing. Seems they don't like being close to lots of other radios.

You said you were going all out with no budget so really you should be looking at either sanwa or futaba sets.

I've seen too many problems with spectrums while racing. Seems they don't like being close to lots of other radios.

You said you were going all out with no budget so really you should be looking at either sanwa or futaba sets.

Any suggestions on the sanwa or futaba sets?

Cheers!

Picked up the mbx7r today! Very excited went with SW-1210SG Savox Water Proof IP67 Servo for both steering and throttle. Got for a good price at only 50 quid each!

Still undecided about radio gear, going to start the build over Christmas so I'll try post some photos if anyone is interested...

Cheers!

Racing in the winter (next season as I won't have my mbx6r), and good price at 50 quid each. High voltage ones where much more expensive. Going to run li fe battery's which these servos will fine on.

What would you have gone for?

why waterproof? why not get a high voltage servo?

Interesting question (and I like your rides, BTW)  :thumbsup:

I have been told pretty much all high-end servos are water-proof these days anyway, regardless if they claim it or not. Unsure if that is true (but he distributes servos), and I've had plenty servos get wet and not skip a beat. I have been transitioning all my vehicles to HV electronics as I was shocked at performance difference.

Irregardless, you got a nice set of servos there. I like Savox. 

Oh, and regarding radios, I run Spektrum. Decent bang for the buck but they can be problematic. I've owned five Spektrum transmitters--meh, and about 15 receivers, of which four have crapped out. If your budget allows you should look at Futaba's FASST technology. Everyone I know who runs that raves about it.

Edited by Nitro RC Nerd
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Some updates on the mbx7r build, now have the engine fitted :) very happy with the results!

E7428E08-686A-4D19-ACC3-5D37F2B2AFAD_zps

Also picking up my custom painted shell tomorrow :D very happy with the results!

1E97FE4F-C8B7-4B51-AEA6-DE632A65B18C_zps

Next is radio gear, looking at the spektrum dx4r, feels good in the hand and reasonably priced. Anyone had any experience using this radio?

Thanks for looking!