• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

broken vattera glamis nuno

icebeaver

All that seems ok apart from maybe the gear cover, there was a huge crack on both halves which I have sealed with glue and looks ok but have just ordered another in case I'm wrong and have ordered some diff oil to give that a try to.

The bearing in hubs are good too.

When I take the gear cover off and watch the pinion and spur move as I give it power you can see the pinion moving fine and the spur moving fine and the wheels spin fine but then if you put the wheels on the floor it just grinds and the car barely moves.

So When the parts arrive I will be replacing the middle gear and the tranmission case and also cleaning and oiling the diff.

Touch wood one of these will solve the problem but I'm not confident.

When the wheels turn, how much resistance is there if you slowly put the car to the ground?  I'm wondering if the slipper plates are actually worn and not turning the shaft.They key onto on a triangular part of the shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I've just got the middle gear and transmission case fitted it and off it went and sounded great with no grinding and lots of power to wheels, then... It starts smoking from the spur, it's was red hot and almosted melted, I took it off and put a spare spur on and loosend the clutch and it lasted a little longer but now a slipper pad has melted into this spur. What the fricks going on. Wish I just bought a new one now that works. I really want this working for Christmas.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

If you have melted the spur, too much drag on the drivetrain. Go through all the tranny bearings and hub bearings to check for binding. Personally I think you were out of mesh or something ain't been seated right. Did you grease anything after

fixing it?

Moral of the story here is that now you should have learned from your mistakes, make sure everything is bang on and anything with a slipper clutch, make sure you put it tight on tarmac especially, then you can loosen it if it bucks too hard.

Edited by NuttyProfessor
  • Like 1

Always here to help, I've been into RC for 16 years and I still make silly mistakes, we all do. Id invest in a temp gun if you ain't got one. ESC temp cutoffs are normally a little high for my liking so running without a fan could damage the esc if it gets too hot. You can buy escs fairly cheap from Hobbyking so have a butch for a cheap spare, make sure its from the UK warehouse if you want it quick but will be slighty more expensive due to VAT. If you're in no rush, look at the global warehouse.

Look at the voltage on the fan label if it has one underneath. The fan should only run at the voltage of the internal BEC of the ESC unless its a direct feed off the battery itself. Replace like for like if you can,prolly have to solder a lead on it to plug it into the esc.