• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Markswebpages's Traxxas Summit

Markswebpages

Small update, 

My nephew managed to do this as he's still learning throttle control. Long grass wrapped itself around the shaft and hey presto, it's broken. 

20160902_142016

It was a bit knackered anyway

20160902_142025

I spotted these on a Facebook selling page, I've wanted to try a set but never had enough spare cash. 

20160902_141816

So they've gone on, I'm hoping they'll be better for the woodland bashing/trailing I mostly do. The standard traxxas ones are lovely and supple for crawling, but balloon a lot and I've glued dozens of splits in the sides. They're not very true any more either. 

I think they look quite good, much firmer but I suspect much more grip and stability. 

20160902_142243

That's it for now, I think a new pair of LiPo's might be next. But who knows what I'll see that'll suddenly spark my interest? 

6 hours ago, capri-boy said:
Gotta love a pair of Trenchers!  By any chance we're those Dean's?  

Yes they where mate, I haven't brought anything from Facebook before, but they're were cheap enough to take a chance. It would have been ages before I could afford to buy them new.

There's some damage to one wheel where I can only assume some had to drill a nut off, but it fitted up fine and it hasn't damage the hex.

The Traxxas ones where great to be honest, but where getting holes in the sides almost every time I ran them in the woods. Two where pretty buckled as well.

Edited by Markswebpages

• 5 weeks later...

Gotta love a pair of Trenchers!  By any chance we're those Dean's?  

Small update,

I'll post a picture tomorrow, but I knew there was some damage to a rim of these trenchers. I've been really busy and just chucked them on and put the Summit back on the desk.

What I didn't realise until yesterday and wasn't mentioned was the 1 inch long split right in the middle of one tyre that's been bodged back together by gluing something over the top.

My own fault for not using the forum as I've never had a bad experience on here, in fact I've had some cracking deals and tried to do the same for others.

It's a chance you take when buy second hand full stops guess. What I saved I'll spend on a new pair of wheels and tyres because they'll just let moisture in with no way of drying the foams, so I might as well have just waited and got them new.

Last time I buy rc stuff on Facebook groups though. Mind you it's the same for all these these Facebook selling groups, it's just rife with chancers selling crap,more hassle than its worth.

5 hours ago, Markswebpages said:

Small update,

I'll post a picture tomorrow, but I knew there was some damage to a rim of these trenchers. I've been really busy and just chucked them on and put the Summit back on the desk.

What I didn't realise until yesterday and wasn't mentioned was the 1 inch long split right in the middle of one tyre that's been bodged back together by gluing something over the top.

My own fault for not using the forum as I've never had a bad experience on here, in fact I've had some cracking deals and tried to do the same for others.

It's a chance you take when buy second hand full stops guess. What I saved I'll spend on a new pair of wheels and tyres because they'll just let moisture in with no way of drying the foams, so I might as well have just waited and got them new.

Last time I buy rc stuff on Facebook groups though. Mind you it's the same for all these these Facebook selling groups, it's just rife with chancers selling crap,more hassle than its worth.

Have you contacted him?  Tried to resolve it - following that I'd open a paypal claim.  I've not dealt with him personally but haven't seen any bad feedback - only that he's sometimes prolific with moving stuff.

I will only trade face to face nowadays, there are to many scam/claims and counter claims if somebody had bought wheels off me and then 4-5 weeks later started moaning I wouldn't be interested, t he last car I bought off here didn't even arrive and then I had to wait 4 weeks for the claim, it's just not worth it Imo :ack:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Have you contacted him?  Tried to resolve it - following that I'd open a paypal claim.  I've not dealt with him personally but haven't seen any bad feedback - only that he's sometimes prolific with moving stuff.

Sorry thinking about it quoting you probably made it look like I thought you were in some way connected, that's no what I intended all.

My apologies if you felt that I did implicate you in some way.

To be honest life's too short, I've been too busy to check and I think going back over a month later is probably going to be tricky at best. 

I can't see how he wouldn't have known as It's got an piece of something very crudely glued to the split. To be honest I wasn't really impressed when I got them because I'm certain they've been reglued.

I should have paid more attention and realised there was probably a good reason they where cheap, but it was just a spur of the moment purchase.

All part of the risk you take every time you buy second had.

Edited by Markswebpages

11 hours ago, sean-vrs said:
I will only trade face to face nowadays, there are to many scam/claims and counter claims if somebody had bought wheels off me and then 4-5 weeks later started moaning I wouldn't be interested, t he last car I bought off here didn't even arrive and then I had to wait 4 weeks for the claim, it's just not worth it Imo :ack:

To be honest honest I'd probably tell someone bugger off too.

My fault for not checking or asking for more information. It was just a spur of the moment thing and I was very busy at work so haven't had much time for rc stuff.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've not really had much trouble on here, only once very early on (and it transpired the guy was at it everywhere). Never had a problem with big trades or purchases. Although I do worry about it when I do it with more expensive things.

I think the best way to view it is most things are for sale for a reason and they're either knackered or unwanted. It's just trying to judge which is the reason.

I'm annoyed a bit but with smaller stuff I always think am I worried about losing the money, if the answer is yes them I wait and buy it new.

Facebook selling pages in particular seem to just be a scammers paradise. In the very early days I had some great stuff, now it's just full people who think they'll make a quick buck horse trading crap.

Edited by Markswebpages
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well I've been out today down to the coast, so thought I'd chuck the old girl in the boot.

After about 10 minutes I could here it clicking and closer listening suggested it was from the rear.

So when I got home I stripped the rear end........
56da62c58352fbf7c342b7931eb3e28c.jpg

I think I should have done this sooner, the bulkhead was full of crap. Now I try to look after my rc stuff but I simply don't have the time to rebuild it every time I goes out, but they get washed off and all visible crud removed. Really surprised by this though and definitely something to watch out for in the future.

Then I discovered the reason for the clicking....
a224547c5c66f8124dfebbfd4c51da23.jpg
cbec6c92476bd005431574936e69e008.jpg

Oops maybe I've left it too long, it doesn't get soaking in puddles and stuff anymore but it gets muddy. I guess I just need to check more regularly.

So parts will have to wait until payday, but a full bearing set and the knackered parts will definitely be on the cards.

Although I'm a bit worried about what I'll find I'll take the rest apart anyway. I think I had the gearbox apart not all that long ago as I was worried about if the Dewalt conversion was damaging it.

Edited by Markswebpages

8 hours ago, stretch said:
Ouch! I had the same problem with rear bulkhead full of grit after some muddy water running so decided I won't be doing that again as it's not a 10 minute job on the summit.

Yes mines not so much mud as mulch from running in the woods. To be fair last time I looked i replaced any bearings that seemed knackered and completely cleaned and repacked with grease any that I reused, maybe this one wasn't quite as good as I thought. There rest seem fine apart from being grubby.

It's my most used truck but even then it's probably been out a dozen times in the last year. But it has put up with a fair hammering from charging around in the woods.

So some of this......
7d7f1b385dc4ecf02f049f599c42cc97.jpg

And this.....
f409ad6e971bdb4a3823beea06d8ed41.jpg

Has resulted in some nice cleaned up parts to work with when I reassemble the bits.

Before
e19b094b8a6cea485bbd7a591c759ec3.jpg

After
76f7a2b757fd82525c51b80b75de2312.jpg

And the shocks are going to get refilled so the citrus spray is great for smaller parts.
f16c8572150258886ad6d0458ca72add.jpg

Seeing as I'm on leave this week I've ordered the bits to fix this so I can get on and use it at the weekend.

Edited by Markswebpages

So I thought I'd have another go at putting a ubec in the Summit.

I got this in the post this morning

af90f85432ef3a1084bc68ef37909413.jpg
9fc3d3d825400e537b75389074b4a7c0.jpg

So I'm trying to avoid this

b532ebe104009a170302cdef4655e56c.jpg

Because I really can't afford another esc. So stretch pointed out it should be the leads with the tag on.

94bf16f3724de44cadad68472f9867f6.jpg
fb4d37b7ea310fc4778ab605410a3c73.jpg

Which lead exactly as stretch said are the red wire second from left and black wire far right. They have continuity (and the other connector doesn't) when checked and power the esc up with just that side connected, so seems right.

However this taken from the web site stretch very kindly linked http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/wiring.html says this.

4d772adb1e089dfde2ffd6d03746aeb2.jpg

Which looks like I need to make up new leads to loop one connector and the another to connect the batteries in series again. Seems like a complete ball ache to me.

So can this be done without all the wiring malarkey?[emoji17]

Edited by Markswebpages

Decided to give it a go and follow the diagram from the site recommended to me by stretch.

The result was this

6301a2089b7394efd610ce724e0942cd.jpg

Adds a bit more mess I suppose, but at least it's easily reversible. The only thing I haven't got is an low voltage cut off/alarm I'll probably just get on of the alarm types and listen out for it) so I'll have to be careful if I use it in the meantime.

Anyway what I got was this

3ba7e1ff4fec3be72835f2f4834bee8a.jpg

Without a smoking ruined esc which was a relief.

So hopefully it'll help with the savox steering servo and the others.

Not entirely sure I've gained that much, but is consumed a few hours and I've learned not to assume anything when wiring stuff up.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Markswebpages said:

Decided to give it a go and follow the diagram from the site recommended to me by stretch.

The result was this

6301a2089b7394efd610ce724e0942cd.jpg

Adds a bit more mess I suppose, but at least it's easily reversible. The only thing I haven't got is an low voltage cut off/alarm I'll probably just get on of the alarm types and listen out for it) so I'll have to be careful if I use it in the meantime.

Anyway what I got was this

3ba7e1ff4fec3be72835f2f4834bee8a.jpg

Without a smoking ruined esc which was a relief.

So hopefully it'll help with the savox steering servo and the others.

Not entirely sure I've gained that much, but is consumed a few hours and I've learned not to assume anything when wiring stuff up.

18 hours ago, stretch said:

Nice work mate glad I was able to help. I think I have a spare lipo alarm is it just the one you need? If so pm me your address and I'll send it out to you.

Well it was nearly a success...... 

My nephew paid a visit and he loves the Summit so we chucked it in the boot and went off out. 

Well I never got to try it with the UBEC as despite not melting the ESC I couldn't get it out of cutoff mode. You can't change the mode when it's flashing red green so I unplugged it all to get it to power up properly  and got the LED to Red which should be none LVC. It however still wasn't happy and then just flashed red. 

So this whole exercise was a waste of time, fortunately I brought my hex drivers and I opened the receiver box to reinstall the red wire from her ESC. 

So I can only assume it's impossible for whatever reason to run a UBEC with a traxxas EVX-2 ESC. 

I'm completely stumped now anyone got any bright ideas? 

So after all the messing around the correct answer was the most obvious.

But this next point is absolutely essential to follow.

You can only plug the UBEC into the BEC side of the ESC.

This can be determined by plugging in each connector and trying the power button on the ESC if everything powers up it is the correct side.  It should also be the side with the label and the black wire on the far right (looking at the ESC with the writing the right way up) but check using the connection method to be sure. 

a3658e3992f38aefac7873db1ef4521f.jpg

The just simply disconnect the power wire from the ESC to the RX (I just pushed the tap in and pulled it out of the connector do it can easily be reinstated).

So by happy coincidence I managed to reconfigure my leads to make this.

bc91a0a49cbb68429679b6c1558ae6a7.jpg

So if the UBEC does fail or I want to return it to stock it can all be unplugged.

So after all that it transpired my mistake was to just assume it could be wired up from either LiPo.

Just need another day off to get out with the Summit :)

Edited by Markswebpages
Better grammar lol
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Short update. 

Gone to the coast for a week away with family. Though I'd pack the Summit (and the scx10) as my nephew loves it. 

First issue was the pinion coming undone again (I think in need to make the flat on the motor a bit more flat).

Then some slight weirdness with it going into half power mode (thought maybe it was an issue with the LiPo's). 

Then a wire came off the LiPo plug (my crap soldering). 

So got another set out and plugged them in, switch the esc on and there's an audible pop followed by lots of smoke and a panic to get everything unplugged. No idea why as you can't plug traxxas plugs in the wrong way and it didn't seem related to the UBEC (and even if it was nothing got hot apart from the esc). I've had to chuck it way as it made the boot of the car stink, so o won't be able to investigate any further. 

So after all the effort I'm still not convinced the esc really liked having its BEC supply bypassed. 

Who knows? 

Either way a new ESC is on the cards, just unsure whether to return the whole thing to stock (including the steering) or go for something with more oomph like an RX8. 

It's fought me all the way this truck, but when it was completely stock other than my water adventure it was faultless. Now I've had nothing but trouble since messing with it (two ESC's now) and it always seems to be broken every time out, but not for the right reasons lol. 

Edited by Markswebpages