• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao hyper engine fuel choice

ftxfrenzy8

Hi peeps will it be ok if I break my new hobao hyper .21 3 port engine in on one gallon of Byron 25% fuel need advice and fast thanks!!!!!!!!!

Of course it will, 25% is great fuel, 25% meaning it has more nitro then lubricant, making it go faster but run hotter, run about 8 tanks through it with gentle driving and your good to go

Of course it will, 25% is great fuel, 25% meaning it has more nitro then lubricant, making it go faster but run hotter, run about 8 tanks through it with gentle driving and your good to go

Nope....that's NOT what it means.

All fuels have more nitro than lubricant. If you check the spec sheets, Byrons has 9% oil content. That's fixed. 25% has 25% nitro methane. The remainder of the fuel is methanol. Higher nitro methane content means less methanol, not less oil.

It also does not run hotter. It actually runs cooler.

The increased nitro methane content can lead to detonation ( pre ignition ) if a motor has too much compression, but 25% is pretty safe. This is why it is recommended to add a shim if you run 30% nitro methane fuels.

That said, there is absolutely no reason not to use it to break in a motor.

All fuels have more nitro than lubricant. If you check the spec sheets, Byrons has 9% oil content. That's fixed. 25% has 25% nitro methane. The remainder of the fuel is methanol. Higher nitro methane content means less methanol, not less oil.

It also does not run hotter. It actually runs cooler.

The increased nitro methane content can lead to detonation ( pre ignition ) if a motor has too much compression, but 25% is pretty safe. This is why it is recommended to add a shim if you run 30% nitro methane fuels.

That said, there is absolutely no reason not to use it to break in a motor.

well really thats what i meant, but ya know, but i always thought it runs a little hotter with more nitro, not that i use a temp gun to check these things, thanks for correcting me though :P

I agree with the points you are making there...but if I am picky then Byrons Race 20% contains 12% oil and Race 25% contains 11% oil...Byrons Pro Driver contains 9% oil.

http://www.byronfuels.com/pages/products.html#race_anchor

FTXfrenzy- As said the Byrons Race 25% will be fine for your new engine....but personally I use a lower nitro content fuel with higher oil content for a new engine..

Why?

Well my opinion is that when running in the engine there is no need for the extra performance from the higher nitro content...and less nitro=lower cost....and more oil because the new metal parts are tight.

Factors to take into consideration when running low nitro/high oil fuel are....it will run like a bag of nails...new plugs will be required...carb. settings will be very different (compared to what will be required when run in and using the correct fuel)...oily mess.

Again though...Byrons Race 25% will be fine...I am pedantic. :)