• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Badgers Hyper Mini ST & TT

Hi all, just thought I'd show you my sons Mini ST and give myself a thread to ask questions on. I bought it from Ebay months ago (bit of an impulse buy) and it was in really poor condition, i nearly sent it back but my boy said he'd like it and i thought it would be good for him to learn more about how the cars work and how to look after them, its also his first nitro.

It needed a complete rebuild, the engine wouldn't run very well and not alot of compression, knackered bearings, shocks were leaking and bent, shock towers, hinge pins, driveshafts and suspension holders were bent and battered too. Luckily it was cheap! I did try to persuade him onto changing it electric or into a Hyper TT but he was having none of it and wanted to keep it nitro.

Parts were a bit of a challenge to find but i managed to get everything we needed from UK, USA and China. We replaced the engine with a brand new complete Hyper .12 engine, exhaust, mounts, and clutch from someone in USA breaking up a new similar model for a better price than i could have bought just the engine here. We also stripped and cleaned everything, added carbon fibre wrap to the chassis and wing, fitted new bearings all round, serviced the diffs, rebuilt the shocks and replaced all the bent bits as it went back together. My son did most of it, i just helped with the shocks and diffs and i was pleased to see he knew what everything was and how to do it without any instructions.

I didn't think to take pics as we went so i just have one of the finished car.

20141031_123721_zps2fa5915e.jpg

Edited by Honeybadger

And how it looked at the weekend after its maiden bash.

20141105_111032_zpsd79913e9.jpg

It does have a shell i just seem to have missed taking any pics with it on.

It performed really well, surprisingly fast for a .12 engine. Only issue is it could do with more ground clearance, the wheels look too small anyway so i can kill two birds with one stone.

So does anybody else still have one?

I have two. One for spares, one running (ish). Actually one that needs a rebuild.

I found it a fun little car. 

The diffs and arms are the same as the bigger TT and the 10SC short course. So it should take a lot of power.

ground clearance a bit of a pain though. and the choice of shells is really limited... 

I also have one it was my first car great fun and pretty whippy.I also had to put a new engine in last Christmas but still great little cars, nice work on fixing it up looks good.

I was really pleased with the way it came out, almost a shame to get it dirty!

I tried on some short course wheels from my Blitz and they seem a pretty good fit, make it look more like a proper truggy too so i might get it a set, or something like Firestorm rear wheels.

Edited by Honeybadger

I did realise part way through organising parts, but the TT and Hyper10 don't seem to be that well supported either for spares.

Bloomin wheels i bought dont fit on the front, so I'll have to see what else i can get.

Edited by Honeybadger

had st mini while ago ran nova rossi 12 in it, heres thread but host server gone an so has me pics :sly: 

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/92897-hyper-mini-st-project/

Only pics could find are of E conversion

DSC02374.jpg

DSC02381.jpg

DSC02382.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bit of a disaster with it today, wouldn't start for ages. The one way bearing seemed to be slipping to start with, then i tried a hotter plug. Normally use OS8's but ive not had an issue with starting other nitro's in any weather before but maybe these .12 engines are a bit more critical, certainly is with the tuning. I might have to see about making an engine heater for it.

Then within 5 mins of it running a front upper hinge pin fell out. Not entirely sure why yet as my Savage pull start had just snapped first pull and it was starting to rain, so i accepted defeat and we went home. I'll have a proper look tomorrow so i can see what happened.

Edited by Honeybadger

It was a snapped screw on the steering post that caused it, allowing the top plate bit to move letting the hinge pin fall out. I just have to work out how ill get the rest of the thread out now as theres nothing left to grip on to.

Anybody got a spare steering post if i cant get it out? I'd have to buy the complete servo saver set otherwise and ive not found one in stock in the UK so far.