• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

cleaning air filter? using after run oil?

turtletom100

So after getting the firestorm running again I have decided to give her a good clean and cleaned everything up as best I can. Now it running I want to look after it properly unlike the previous owner.

In the manual it says to wash the filters and re apply air filter oil. :-s (I would a thought this would just cog it up but I am a beginner)

Any way I have bought myself some hpi air filter oil (and also hpi after run oil)

Is it just a case of take top of filter off slide foam up rinse with (I read online soapy water, nitro fuel, just warm water. Not sure what one is best) then allow to dry and apply oil? If so where does oil go as surely it can't be a case of soaking the foam?

With regards to after run oil how do I go around using this stuff just put some in the carb after running or take glow plug out and drop directly on to piston?

Cheers guys

I know some will say buy a new filter but when I now own 2 filters (and one cardboard one that looks crud though looks like a wanna be k&n) I would rather spend the

Edited by turtletom100

The standard filter will be fine, just make sure you clean it regularly. I find a bit of nitro fuel works very well to clean it. Once its clean and has dried out then place the filter in a plastic bag and squirt a bit of filter oil in there and squish it all around till the foam has an even light coating of oil. If you have an inner and outer air filter foam then just leave the outer part dry so as not to attract dirt. 

Foam air filters-

Strictly speaking you should renew the foam part (foams available for many different filters)...but I have washed them before.

I use warm soapy water and then give it a good rinse with water...leave to dry.

Air filter oil-

A lot depends on how dusty the conditions you run in are and whether there are two separate foams.

If there are two foams then just oil the inner by putting it in a small bag with a few drops of oil then squidge it around. 

If only one filter then you can just put a little oil on your finger and run it around the inside of the foam.

The oil is used to help the filter catch smaller particles but as it is sticky it will also clog quickly if on the outside in dusty conditions...again all depends where you run and what filter.

After run oil-

Remove glow plug and air filter and add a few drops of oil...refit plug/filter and turn engine over a few times.

Always be sure to clean surrounding areas of plug/filter before removal to ensure no dirt gets in...and clear engine of fuel before adding oil.

Plenty of different ways and plenty more threads about these subjects.

Foam air filters-

Strictly speaking you should renew the foam part (foams available for many different filters)...but I have washed them before.

I use warm soapy water and then give it a good rinse with water...leave to dry.

Air filter oil-

A lot depends on how dusty the conditions you run in are and whether there are two separate foams.

If there are two foams then just oil the inner by putting it in a small bag with a few drops of oil then squidge it around. 

If only one filter then you can just put a little oil on your finger and run it around the inside of the foam.

The oil is used to help the filter catch smaller particles but as it is sticky it will also clog quickly if on the outside in dusty conditions...again all depends where you run and what filter.

After run oil-

Remove glow plug and air filter and add a few drops of oil...refit plug/filter and turn engine over a few times.

Always be sure to clean surrounding areas of plug/filter before removal to ensure no dirt gets in...and clear engine of fuel before adding oil.

Plenty of different ways and plenty more threads about these subjects.

Cheers for the explanation. :-) I did find other threads hut some say use nitro to clean others say water others say a degreaser others say buy k&n air filter cleaner others say just change it so I wanted to know how people on here do it. I will have to have a look at the filter see if there's 2 or if it's just the one. 

:-) cheers guys 

as aboved 

warm soapy water, give the filtering medium a good wash.

Air filter Oil, this is used to help clog up the filter, yes i know it sounds wrong but the oil helps the dust stick to the foam,

this keeps it from being digested by the engine and causing problems. 

by a spare filter, when your cleaning and washing-drying one filter, you can install the second spare and still run the engine fine.

once the original is air dry you can install it and then clean the spare ( the spare will need less washing ) 

as a rule of thumb change the filter every spring-summer and then again every winter. 

summer running lots of dust gets about so filtering clogs up much more easy.

in the winter you use your machine less but again the weather is more damp, so any dust

will be damp/wet and gunky.

when a filter is dirty and drys out there is chance it can release some dust into the engine, so always best to replace the cheap foam now and again.

as aboved 

warm soapy water, give the filtering medium a good wash.

Air filter Oil, this is used to help clog up the filter, yes i know it sounds wrong but the oil helps the dust stick to the foam,

this keeps it from being digested by the engine and causing problems. 

by a spare filter, when your cleaning and washing-drying one filter, you can install the second spare and still run the engine fine.

once the original is air dry you can install it and then clean the spare ( the spare will need less washing ) 

as a rule of thumb change the filter every spring-summer and then again every winter. 

summer running lots of dust gets about so filtering clogs up much more easy.

in the winter you use your machine less but again the weather is more damp, so any dust

will be damp/wet and gunky.

when a filter is dirty and drys out there is chance it can release some dust into the engine, so always best to replace the cheap foam now and again.

Cheers Tamiyacowboy :-) your a very helpful guy!

So using nitro fuel to clean with is a no and when you say soapy water do you mean using washing up liquid (fairy) or washing liquid (ariel/daz) may be bit of a dumb question just rather use the correct one lol.

And I will have 2 to switch and swap but will take your advice aswell and order some new foam ready for next year.

I understand the oil now so it is used to grab the fine particles then but don't smother it in oil or the carb won't be bake to breathe.

Cheers again guys