• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHO's oh no not again?!

Oh How Original

2 hours ago, scatteh316 said:

When I ran my old OBR 29.5 Full Mod on my Baja the TTO I was using actually showed no real advantage to the side pipe I had VS the DOM pipe.

Which shocked me so wouldn't too much about the DOM pipe stealing top end from the engine.

tto???

6 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

May very well invest in RPM sensors and heat sensors as well... At some point.

Then again... I may not :lol: I have an IR heat gun which I actually forgot to use today, my engine isn't running as lean as it could though I know that for sure.

What I've found is that by tuning by RPM using a tacho you actually hit the performance wall way before your plug goes paper brown.

It seems that in most engines you are actually limited by the amount of RPM the exhaust will allow the engine to have rather then by the settings on the carb and you hit the exhaust RPM limit sooner.

Yeah I figured as much from my own experience of changing pipes and checking my old tachometer.

I wasn't planning on tuning by it per se, I was just more interested in what I'd be getting.

We're hopefully heading out with them shortly and I've changed the gearing to 19/55, I've not run it on this engine before so it'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference, my guess is it won't, but it will certainly be interesting to find out.

I'm also going to sacrific some tyres and try getting some speed runs in on some tarmac, it's longer and much smoother than the grass we run on so should be able to give a better reading, however it's rather thin so it could get a bit sketchy :lol:

Shall report back later if I do happen to get some readings.

• Like 1

Well I bought some cheap wheels and tyres on eBay, only 20quid posted for the rears, figured if they lasted one tarmac run, they'd done their job, anyway to my surprise they have held up fine to a full tanks bashing and speed running.

I clocked 42.3mph in the end, but the weird thing is it still isn't fully flat out, the tarmac area is just too thin to risk spinning and hitting the 1:1 car or taking legs out or whatever, I'm going to say 45 is easily doable, considering I could go even leaner still for more revs.

A bloke actually came over from his camper (when the weathers good it's a bit of a hot spot with campers/caravans) and he had a little boat, he mentioned how impressive they were and said going up and down the road it didn't sound flat out.

It's weird that even he commented it didn't sound fully flat out, so I'm very confident in saying 45 is possible.

I shant get bogged down with figures though, it runs good and aside from my persistent pin issues (another snapped today) I'm fairly happy with it, the pin issue is definitely testing my patients, so I'm going to remove the cups and fit some stock dog bones.

IF I snap a pin on a stock bone without a grub screw in the end, I saw on a yank forum if you freeze the pins and heat the end of the bone you can actually get new pins in, so I might do that and just go back to good old stock bones.

If that's what I do end up doing, I'll just sell the PhatDads and use the cash for a pair of replacements just in case as well.

Could be the best plan.

Here's a couple of pictures anyway :P sticker on the rear is in homage to my first Baja, if anyone remembers the sticker on that.. :rolleyes:

20160504_172953_resized_zpsp1xj5heq.jpg

20160504_173006_resized_zps5gmo1koh.jpg

20160504_174011_resized_zpsbda4o2uj.jpg

Dan I had an issue with my old Baja where it would shatter pins every time it was taken out, I was advised that if there's any play in the system it acts as a set of shears and cuts it..

I took the extenders and drive things to a local machine shop and for a bit of beer money they bored them out to 1mm bigger, this is all so completely made the pin very tight... Never had an issue after that.

I've actually considered removing the extenders and just fitting some stock hubs, but it's not actually those pins that keep snapping, after so much hard abuse there is some play along the lines, but an old second hand Baja I bought had massive amounts of play in it and it never snapped a single pin.

I mean, I've paid out so much to replace everything that kept breaking and it really does get extremely frustrating.

It's not quite as bad when we just go down the road for a bash, but when we got over an hour to my mates and it breaks down, it's so annoying.

I do actually have a complete 5sc drivetrain here, but that means a complete rear end rebuild.. I don't know if I can be bothered to do that again :lol: I removed the Toobz on one side to fit the stock bone in and it ran great from there, so may just do that on the other side tonight... We maybe heading out again tomorrow, so might go for broke and see what happens with stock bones in, my cups are pretty recently installed brand new HPI ones, so they should hopefully last... Only one way of telling really.

Also happy to report absolutely no splits or cracks in my Samco hose and no oil on the back of the engine or the gearbox, so my little mod has worked brilliantly :D

• Like 1

Well chaps, after months and months on end of constant headaches with the drivetrain situation on this thing, added to the fact I've snapped 2 wheels in 2 days and had to cut another wheel off because the wheel nut wouldn't budge... Not to mention breaking another two dog bones tonight, I think it might just be time for me to say farewell to the Baja.

Can a mod please lock this thread while I have a serious think about my options, ta.

I thought I'd do a little update.
I started taking the Baja to bits ready to sell all the parts and just couldn't.
So, I decided to keep cool and try figuring out this problem, I removed the Hostile hubs and axle extenders, put some fresh bearings in some brand new 5sc hub carriers, put 5sc drive cups on and axle cups, decided to switch back to the PhatDad dog bones with some PhatDad pins.
First test was relatively successful, up until I was hammering it on tank number 4 and a pin came out.
Didn't snap, just somehow worked it's way out, even though to my surprise, all 4 grub screws were still in tight, which previously when trying this, they hadn't been.
So, I put some fresh grooves in some fresh pins, put those in and did some more testing today, got around 1 1/2 tanks through it before my mate Ray wanted to go back home for his tea and sort some stuff out for boating tomorrow.
But, having come back, theirs no wear on the pins, no wear on the cups and all 4 grub screws are tight.
I'm not 'celebrating' too early because of what happened previously with the slipped pin.
But, it's hopefully a positive step.
It sounds stupid for a toy car, but I've grown so attached to it and just had to try and sort this problem out.
If for any reason this still hasn't sorted it and it keeps spitting pins out or snapping them or snapping cups, then I'm not sure what my next idea will be, because from everyone I've spoken to and everything that has been suggested, I have tried everything.
Short of running the Uber ball drive system that is, which I don't want to do.
More testing hopefully to be done soon.

16 minutes ago, Daveyb84 said:

bet its quite hard to get these 5th scales off the ground?

have you had any more issues with it since you last sorted it?

Surprisingly it's not, they just seem to float sometimes lol, other times they fly about as well as a brick.

As for the problems, I am trying one more combination of parts, that I've not yet tried, hopefully testing it on Sunday.

If it doesn't go to plan, then I'm going to steer away from large scales for a while, at least until this Losi 5ive-B comes out, then I might consider one of those.

I'd really like to get some good filming done of the RCs and have a bit more variety and having so much space and money taken up by one RC isn't doing me any favours, despite what I'd lose financially, I feel it just doesn't seem to want to run permenantly lol, so after having said 4 times now 'this is the last ditch effort'... This time it really is...

Another video I never got round to editing and uploading but I'm feeling in a video mood so I've been going through some footage today and put this together, still lacking in editing skills and I'm not really helped by my camera, it does decent enough footage quality wise, but the colours feel a bit off to me.

Possibly going to look at investing in some kind of camcorder, that will hopefully pick the colours up a bit better and things won't be as dark, that's the hope anyway.

Here's the video, like/subscribe/comment, all that good stuff, it's greatly appreciated while my channel is just getting off the ground, lots more footage to come! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwqW1Clpg7g&feature=youtu.be

• 53HRA locked this topic
  • .AJ. unlocked this topic
  • 8 months later...
  • .AJ. locked this topic