• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHO's oh no not again?!

Oh How Original

So my dummy is back in, ordered everything I needed to rebuild the Baja, drivetrain feels nice and smooth again and hopefully this lot should sort the problems.

New bearings, HPI drive cups, HPI diff cups, Darksoul Toobz, new extra hardened dowel pins, new diff case and HPI boots, total of around £130, which I wasn't expecting, but hell, it's done now and fixed!

Also thought about cleaning it... Then had a sandwich.

IMG_5594_zpswjukxaa3.jpg

IMG_5595_zpsz9wyj1de.jpg

IMG_5599_zpsxeo4ooyp.jpg

Edited by Oh How Original

• 2 months later...

Well this had a run for the first time since fixing the gearbox... I was't expecting much given all my recent woes with it.
Low and behold a few minutes in a rear wheel started trying to overtake the front, I initially wasn't even going to put a fresh pin in it, I felt sick of chasing broken pins.
Anyway, I left it for a good 5 minutes and decided to give it one last go.
To my utter amazement it was still going after a few minutes... So I thought I'd put it a bit more to the test and started ragging it round, it survived for a full brimmed tank, the first full tank it's had in ages and ages.
I've concluded that the pin that went must have received some kind of crack or damage when the diff was locked, the new pin I put in seems fine, I also noticed the old one was shorter, I had two sizes in the same packet, 22mm and 24mm, I may even order some 26mm ones just because the extenders I have on are a slightly fatter diameter than stock, Vertigo or Uber hubs, so it might  do it come good to have some longer pins.
Anyway, my Dad got a couple of videos on his phone, nothing special but I will upload them tomorrow, the first of which includes the failing pin and seeing 3 wheels on my wagon usually raises a smile :lol:
Videos to follow tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

Had another play out today... Did another 1 and 3/4 tanks without major incident, in fact the only thing that happened was a drive pin went missing, my own fault really because the hubs have grown dry grass afros, so I can only assume that pushed the cable tie off, which is all that had happened... 30 second fix and she was back on her way.

One of the bottom front arms popped the ball out, thankfully I have some replacement arms if absolutely necessary, but might leave these on for now.

Anyway, here's a few pictures from the day, might upload the video but it's nothing special, just the video version of these images really, as these were still frames pulled from the video file :)

Sitting pretty...

20160421_141852-2_zps4b1mmqse.jpg

Genuinely wasn't set up, we were chasing a trespassing chicken, first Rays decided to mount my Dads, then thinking I was about a foot or two clear I hit the throttle and mounted them both! :lol:

20160421_143215-2_zpsqo7dtu2y.jpg

20160421_153743%201151-2_zpsabljylbh.jpg

20160421_153743%201471-2_zpsmttg54xk.jpg

20160421_153743%200611-2_zpsv0ynaax1.jpg

20160421_153743%200291-2_zpsgf84rriw.jpg

20160421_153743%201576-2_zpsequb9onu.jpg

Edited by Oh How Original

I have to agree... It's a surprisingly good looking style, wingless that is.... :) 

With Baja's I always treasured the days where I took it out, ran a good bit of fuel through it and took it home running.  Much more common now with my Losi's but seemed a rare event with my Badgers....

Cheers chaps... I do like the winged look too, but always found the nose seemed to rise, I had a high downforce N-R-P wing on it and it made it hard to corner even with MX's on the front, same situation when jumping, the front seemed to go up quite a lot of the time... Removed the wing and it jumps and handles much much better.

One thing I'm quite amazed about is the lack of damage to the pipe, I've had some seriously hard landings, one of which snapped the steering assembly clean in half and the rear smacked hard as well and it's fine, the wing gave some fairly decent protection as I don't run a rear bumper, but so far so good.

Got about 25 minutes of footage I've got to get round to editing from the bash before last, which includes the hard hit that took out my steering :P

Oh and this is the reason for the cable tie being pushed off and the pin coming out.

Capture_zps694u90sy.jpg

• Like 2

Out for a little buzz today, I've given my Dad the 26cc I had up for sale, ran great, mine ran great too until I lost drive, brought it back to the house to discover a dog bone pin had gone right through a Darksoul Toob like it's made of butter.

Not good, considering it's bloody impossible to contact Darksoul!! :(

IMG_5735_zpso70o9jso.jpg

IMG_5739_zpsi2poxicn.jpg

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

I was quite impressed myself... In a very cheesed off way!! :lol:

Dan could you not drop some weld on there to seal it back up? Then sand it down so it's smooth and look at fitting some sleeves over the whole thing?

1 minute ago, scatteh316 said:

Dan could you not drop some weld on there to seal it back up? Then sand it down so it's smooth and look at fitting some sleeves over the whole thing?

No access to a weld... I'm just going to spin the cup round a bit and hopefully it won't happen again.

4 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

No access to a weld... I'm just going to spin the cup round a bit and hopefully it won't happen again.

If it does happen again you could make some sleeves which should prevent it from happened again, although curious as to why it even did that in the first place as I would of thought it was hardened.

50 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

So would I... I've tried searching high and low for DS contact info, coming up with nought :/

I've not even managed to spin it, too tight and I'm too lazy to remove the diff so I've just put a fresh pin in lol.

We'll see what happens on the next run out.

Do they have a Facebook page?

42 minutes ago, scatteh316 said:

Do they have a Facebook page?

Already tried messaging it but they haven't posted since 2012, so I'm not expecting any replies... On their website their is nothing at all about contacting them, I looked on every single part of it.

Very very frustrating indeed.

What's that they say about it not raining but pouring?

The accident that snapped my steering left a slight rattle that I put down to being the brakes, it only happened when the power wasn't applied and I was turning hard right, so I assumed the discs or star were moving and rattling a bit, no biggie.

Just spotted this while checking my phone of all things, no idea what made me look at the engine as my phone buzzed, but spotted a nice hole in my flywheel cover... I've also smashed the bottom of the pullstart and it's not essentially held together by the Outerwears... On top of that the bottom of the flywheel cover has a nasty crack in it and to top it off the flywheel has been scraping the inside of the cover... I knew it was too good to be true that it would 'just' be the brakes :lol:

IMG-20160423-WA0004_resized_zpsazjuh6cb.

IMG-20160423-WA0006_resized_zpscua72w2i.

And then I thought I'd see how loose it was exactly, to see if I could run it again until a replacement comes.. Hmm, possibly not (it was actually cracked right along the bottom, but for some reason it doesn't look it on the inside) anyway, no cheating, just fingers... Nope, it's not going to run tomorrow :lol:

IMG-20160423-WA0009_resized_zpsmvsijtwq.

• Like 1