• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FeedTheInferno's Nissan Skyline R33 GTR project

Feedtheinferno

Great repairs there, lovely car - wish I had the orchestra's to buy a car of this ilk.  Something like a Supra Turbo or one of these or the like...

Oh on a side note - has anyone told you the title is missing a letter 'n' lol ??  :tease:

FeedTheInfero's Nissan Skyline R33 GTR project

idea2.jpg

Like this crx 

pull the color into the bay, and instead of having black distrib plug leads you get them color matched to the purp.

the more usual way is two color. ie the midnight purp exterior but the bay would be a shimer gold or a an icecream blue

like below in the honda SI , blue with the gold bay 

k20adc2011.jpg

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

Aye. the honda is a bit skimpy inside. but a r33 is fuller.

so you can transfer color into the wire looms and likes. 

breaks up the black and draws the eyes around the bay and motor itself. 

ie its not just a shiney lump in a blackish bay with a sweet exterior.

pull color in and accent it via the wireing looms, clips n likes etc etc.

Great repairs there, lovely car - wish I had the orchestra's to buy a car of this ilk.  Something like a Supra Turbo or one of these or the like...

Oh on a side note - has anyone told you the title is missing a letter 'n' lol ??  :tease:

FeedTheInfero's Nissan Skyline R33 GTR project

Haha thanks dude I didn't notice the title all changed now :)

Also thank you for the comments, it's been a dream of mine to own a R33 GTR and now I own one it did take some doing and they actually require more care than you would think in regards to general maintenance.

Like this crx 

pull the color into the bay, and instead of having black distrib plug leads you get them color matched to the purp.

the more usual way is two color. ie the midnight purp exterior but the bay would be a shimer gold or a an icecream blue

like below in the honda SI , blue with the gold bay 

Right now I see where you are coming from. In short the answer is no I won't be doing that. The car's paint will be all original as it would detract from the value of it. That includes the bay. However as the engine gets modified (planned for next year as this year its all bodywork) I will be fitting reflective cooling tape, which is used in race prepared cars and top fuel drag racers. This tape is actually gold in colour and will help in keeping the airflow around the engine cool.

Here is a example of zealou5 doing it to another customers car:-

6_zps2a031f41.jpg9_zps3d9d4774.jpg10_zps8d8147bb.jpg7_zps472a39f4.jpg8_zpsf03e0deb.jpg11_zps3acb1034.jpg13_zpsa17bc780.jpg

Looks great.

Practicalities?

Is it heat reSISTant as well as reflective?

Can it withstand the extreme engine bay temperatures a high performance vehicle is likely to generate when under power?

What about flame retardant properties - wouldn't want to change a relatively safe engine bay into something more flammable?

Al.

That's exactly what it's designed for dude extreme engine temperatures/heat and it is completely flame retardant. I am going for substance over style, it doesn't matter that it's gold its the fact it actually serves a justified purpose is why I will be getting it done! :) Here is the blurb from the website of the company that makes it:-

Reflect-A-GOLD is a metalized polyamide polymer laminated glass cloth with a high temperature pressure sensitive adhesive for use in extreme temperature swing environments. It is lightweight and easy to apply and remove.

Highly effective material for firewalls, fuel cells, engine covers, under hoods, engine compartment, bulk heads, seat bottoms

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update time.

Took the car back to Bob at Zealou5 and he very kindly had a look at the car whilst I was there so I was able to drive home in it, the conclusion is that there were two leaks, one coming from the left rear light which he sealed very nicely for me and as far as I can tell is no longer leaking. The second larger leak we found to be a part of the new rear window seal hasn't been glued very well meaning when it rains heavily the water runs down the inside of the window into the boot.

So on Saturday National Windscreens will be coming out to re-apply the rear window seal.

Next up is the clutch! 

Just saw Tim and Fuzz working on your car tonight - colour changed to grey!!

Joking of course!

Car was an insurance write off.

Little / no mention of jigging it unless I missed that fighting the 2 year old toddler!!

I'm sure they will have done - it's not WD!!

Finished product was stunning of course!

Now we know what the next car 'For the Love of Cars' are going to restore!!

Al.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a small update. Every third Tuesday of a month there is a Japanese car meet at Reading gate retail park and from what I thought before going it's actually just a huge bunch of nice guys really passionate about their cars. Nothing chavy at all. Always nice to be surprised, here are some pictures of my car at the event.

llllTZY.jpg?1

p9zEKMd.jpg?1

2jg4e7e.jpg?1

Also I am a little nervous today as I bought a clutch to replace the one thats currently in the car that creates such a huge judder at traffic speed I just don't like driving it around town. The car is currently booked in having the clutch changed over and the reason I am nervous is I hope it fixes the issue as the one I bought is meant to have a stock feel too it.

1kmPuZ7.jpg

Here is the clutch that came out of the car, a horrible horrible paddle clutch, great for launching the car, terrible for driving in general.

The good news is it's quite a expensive clutch and it turns out that it's only been in the car for about 5000 miles so it will be easily sell-able to cover the cost of the swap.

Jbqdzo1.jpg?1

Edited by Feedtheinferno
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I have been naughty and forgot to update this :)

So another thing that a 21 car is brilliant at doing as we all know is having crappy lighting so I thought I would fit some HID's and LED's in replacement for the dash bulbs.

I am looking for the official 33 GTR Xenons however they are very rare and when they do come up they are about £1000!

Before

hmt307y.jpg

After (not the best picture, turns out the iPhones don't like night photography with bright lights)

vYqNPtc.jpg

A quick picture of the before and after HID conversion, not so easy on a GTR as it was the Coupe as the GTR has a seal that covers all of the cabling which runs directly out of the cap, so you have to either not run the cap (no way) or make the seal hole bigger (yes way)

WaOpmY5.jpg

Qfy1wqv.jpg

Next up, I ordered some Alcantara gators as the original leather ones were looking a little worse off. In the background you can see the windscreen washer bottle, I took it out for steaming. 

Zhdh3MJ.jpg

Onto even more fun stuff it turns out that the exhaust on the car that is came with was mild steel and it had a hole in the backbox
Soooo not one to scrimp I decided to go for the best/most expensive/LOUDEST exhaust you can get for the 33 GTR. The Tomei Titanium Ti Expreme.
After about a month of waiting one of these came

440007_1.jpg

So back on the ramps the car went!

lgWqbHk.jpg

rXZ2QbR.jpg

q2CWclZ.jpg

And just some cool pictures of recent events

Ace Cafe GTR OC meet

vxT9V34.jpg

Bromley Pageant

O9hxsLt.jpg

Just a random cool rear lights

PsLcTjQ.jpg

Small update before a larger one, I am having a new steering wheel fitted this weekend. To replace the horrible Gen1 massive standard with a ATC Volanti Sportivi custom wheel. Getting a boss is proving to be a bit of a pain in the arse but I will update with pictures later on.

• 1 month later...

Bit slow on the updates as I can't stop buying cars, I just picked up a MK1 MX5 for £300, all because the previous owner thought the clutch had blown when it was just a slow leak from the slave cylinder, a little top up of oil and away the car went! 

But for the time being here are some updates, a little known fact about 33's is they had some strange optional extra's one was a rear windscreen wiper which mine thankfully doesn't have and the other is a boot lid carpet, these are extremely rare but the other day I managed to find one and fit it, makes the boot look that little bit better!

uaSrYDF.jpg

Next up, I did think I had taken a before photo of the old steering wheel but when I went to upload the photos I only had the afters so here is the nice new steering wheel and boss setup. It makes a world of difference driving it now as it's around 30% smaller than the standard wheel.

s2yd4qv.jpg

znEHqir.jpg

And then one final one of us in convoy waiting to get into Beaulieu Motor Museum Simply Jap event which I am sure some of you would have been at.

QalibR3.jpg