• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobbyking Sabretooth Truggy 1/8

The spill from proline is utter crap i had a set of these shockwaves and to be honest there just as bad as the traxxas talons in the end i sold them to someone on here .. There ok for pavement bashing in the dry but in the wet or on grass, mud, gravel  or just about anywhere else there rubbish and offer absolutely no grip at all but in saying that there great for doing doughnuts and power slides !! ..

Watch your temps on these new tyres the motor in the sabertooth is pretty small compared to most 1/8th setups and runs fairly hot on a stock set up so with these wider tyres it may need you to drop a few teeth on the pinion !!

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. I don't have any other pinions yet.

So I might just use up the originals first.

Hopefully the next delivery will be XT60 plugs, so I can standardise.

I was given a few from the dark knight to get started with.

Just need to commandeer the kitchen table.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Batteriy harnesses fitted with XT60 plugs,.

Next fit XT60's to the sabertooth, but there is a problem...

My soldering iron is not man enough to solder 12 gauge wire to the connectors.

Ordered a new iron., with 40 watt and 80 watt switching on it.

Another week will have to pass with an itchy trigger finger.

By 'eck, best procrastinating over a rtr I've ever experienced! Most folk would've bashed it, broken it and reported back weeks ago...one could be forgiven for thinking it was made of platinum and gold ;)

It's an ARTRJWOABOU: Almost Ready To Run, Just Waiting On A Bunch Of Upgrades.  :yes:

• Like 3

Latest news:

XT60 plugs everywhere.

Batteries fitted.

Program the ESC, but encountered a problem, it would not program. After some checking and Y.T. videos i had the ESC plug in the wrong channel.

Turned everything back on, and it took off.... It left the kitchen table like poo off a shovel. Hit the wall and luckily it through out the batteries, and they became disconnected.

Damage: about 5 years off my life, and a bent front shock shaft.

Onwards and upwards: Straightened the shaft, placed the sabertooth on a stand with the wheels off the grounds, and programmed the ESC.

Snow and ice has melted, taken it out for its maiden voyage.

IMG_20141221_105410_zpsve2dgxue.jpg

IMG_20141221_105444_zpshfvfyp5k.jpg

IMG_20141221_105456_zpsnnbzznwk.jpg

Edited by Andythecrane

It has a decent turn off speed, to much right away for me, so i turned down the trim on the Flysky.

I was impressed with the handling out of the box. seemed stable and quite predictable, with some power being unloaded to the front tyres.

The standard tyres did like short grass, on longer grass i'm not to sure. On my old tarred road that is becoming gravelly the tyres didnt hook up and became very light.

The motor overheated today as well, i assume it was due to the discharge power of the batteries. Outside temp was 3 degrees at best.

Latest news:

XT60 plugs everywhere.

Batteries fitted.

Program the ESC, but encountered a problem, it would not program. After some checking and Y.T. videos i had the ESC plug in the wrong channel.

Turned everything back on, and it took off.... It left the kitchen table like poo off a shovel. Hit the wall and luckily it through out the batteries, and they became disconnected.

Damage: about 5 years off my life, and a bent front shock shaft.

Onwards and upwards: Straightened the shaft, placed the sabertooth on a stand with the wheels off the grounds, and programmed the ESC.

IMG_20141221_105410_zpsve2dgxue.jpg

IMG_20141221_105444_zpshfvfyp5k.jpg

IMG_20141221_105456_zpsnnbzznwk.jpg

Rookie mistake! 

• Like 1

Overheating motor is nowt to do with battery c rating, the can will draw whatever current it needs.

Wheelspin contributes, however, I'd be looking at gearing. What were the temps like on the ESC? If it and your packs were cool, then a gear up is needed, try two teeth bigger on the pinny, test again :)

• Like 1

My savage did a great big No11 up the wall in my dining room!

My dads nitro firestorm also did a huge burnout on the dining room table..

Yea, I'm good at f@cking up!

That makes me feel better.

I bought a buggy off the fella above, that shot across the bed and onto the landing (good thing the missus was down stairs), I still had the battery in my hand which was rather fortunate. :whistling:

I will add, user error. :)

Edited by Vr5fx
  • Like 1

We don't get that weather here until Jan/Feb,   Consider yourself a timelord (better than the escapee from the Soprano's),

• Like 1

The pinion gear is a 15 tooth, and I haven't got it off yet to measure the shaft.

What direction should I go, 13 tooth or 17 tooth.?

Due to work commitments I don't get as much time as I would like to tinker with it.

Hopefully over the Xmas period I will get a chance. Unless my daughter forces me to play Doc McStuffin.....

The pinion gear is a 15 tooth, and I haven't got it off yet to measure the shaft.

What direction should I go, 13 tooth or 17 tooth.?

Due to work commitments I don't get as much time as I would like to tinker with it.

Hopefully over the Xmas period I will get a chance. Unless my daughter forces me to play Doc McStuffin.....

doc who???...lol!!!

Get a 17t and 18t, two teeth could be the sweet spot, however, having been caught out myself by having insufficient, suitable pinnys in the spares box....

Best way of testing a change is speed runs: a few minutes of back to back full throttle, brakes, throttle again will soon show any hot spots in the system, so have the temp gun to hand and check regulalry. If you can stick a pack through it in this manner and maintain acceptable temps, then job done; you'd be unlikely to bash in such a manner, ergo, bashing temps should not be a problem :)

Always some trial and error involved to get it right, IMO, worthwhile in the longterm :)

• Like 1