• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial SCX10 Mercedes G Wagon Build

I have just purchased the Nikko Mercedes G wagon hard body and I wish to mount it on my scx10 (deadbolt RTR). First hurdle I have come across is an issue with the wheelbase. From what I can see my scx10 is already in the short wheelbase set up so I how do I shorten it some more without chopping up the chassis?    

that's kind of what I was thinking after a while staring at the chassis and scratching my head! is the dingo the shortest scx10? the body I have is roughly 27cm from centre to centre of the wheel arches. Am I going to have make custom links?

yep the dingo is the shortest scx10 you can buy right now so it looks like your going to be building some links. 2mm threaded rod and some tubing to cover it is what most people do when they build them for say a land rover d90 body conversion you just hae to figure out the length you need and also remember the length of the rod ends aswell before cuttiing 

• 4 weeks later...

what mini said, don't be put off. Making links is easy.  All you need tool wise is a ruler, hacksaw and pliers.

Also, where did you find that shell mate? I've not seen one for ages!!

Edited by luke1983

I have all the required bits now to make the links just need to find a some free time to have a go at it! 

After a lot of searching and trawling the web, I was lucky and found the shell on ebay. Cost a pretty penny but well worth it, it is a nice looking body and I will get some photos up soon.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So this project was put on the back burner for a while (see when it was started!) but finally I have made some progress and have some pics.

For starters is your standard replacement 4 link making, normal stuff with traxxas rod ends and threaded rod. I also sprayed a fine coat of black rust away paint on my links after these pics. The body is quite short, much shorter than my deadbolt so a fair bit of tweaking and adjusting was done to insure everything falls where it should and runs straight. I think Im going to have to get some more weight up the front end at some point in the future. Whilst I had my shocks off I removed and painted the fake piggy back reserve thingys little bit of metallic silver and a small makers decal from my mini z days and I think they look sweet! personal taste maybe but I like the little details.

So a quick few pics to start with and hopefully this has got the ball rolling on this one!...

Not much spare time this weekend to work on this but still managed to get the body shell broken down ready for painting. I have to say for a Nikko toy grade piece it has quite some detail! just look at all the separate pieces for the body.

As for the paint scheme I can't decide what direction to take.

Either a military style or a tuned style?

I think I am leaning towards tuned style in white with black trim.

Edited by flashdaniels

It is indeed a tough choice! that brabus is pretty mean looking but I think I will head in a more offroad look. I have been searching a bit more and I think maybe something like one of these...

My skills are not quite ready for 6x6 build yet!

Also I am sctratching my head a bit about the best way to attach the body to chassis. Is it better to go with original posts or something on the sides?
Edited by flashdaniels

Bit of painting done this weekend. primer all round and a matt black finish for all the trim. Couldn't resist a quick mock up while im deciding on the colour for the paint for main body. Not too many issues with my first hardbody paintjob, had a few creases after two or three coats but nothing a bit of sanding couldn't sort out. Also can't decide if I should leave the bull bars chrome or go black like the rest?

Edited by flashdaniels

Paint purchased today! went to local art supply shop and they had pretty much exactly the colour I was looking and it's called 'yellow of mars'. which is a cool name for a colour in my books!

Only time for a quick base coat tonight, pics coming soon...

Paint job finished. She is a little more yellow than I was hoping for but I am still happy with the results. Real good quality paint I picked up made the painting a breeze, its called 'Liquitex' and I picked it up from an art supply shop. It smells a bit funny but does a real nice job!

Also made some covers for the links just to add a bit more protection. I was searching for something to use (and also not expensive!) for a while and ended up buying a multi pack of ball point pens and cut them up to fit. the traxxas rod ends I used fitted just about perfectly into the tube. They seem pretty solid, I am a bit worried they are too brittle and might shatter but we shall see. they cost

That looks amazing; like you said, for Nikko car, the detail is quite unbelievable.

This is one of my favourite jeeps, and to have an RC car of it, is quite something.

Your skills and vision to do this are so impressive, I had to post something.

:-)