• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobbyking and SCS Postage

Smoothybb

Right, first off, I'm not starting this thread suggesting a way to avoid VAT charges on import, far from it, I just want to highlight a dubious practice happening on international Hobbyking (HK) orders.

Basically, whenever anything comes in via SCS, you get charged import VAT (and duty if applicable) for every order (it would appear - feel free to advise if you've received something without charges with SCS). Now, as I say, I'm not arguing with paying VAT but just try asking SCS to prove they've paid it on your behalf! They claim to be "bulk clearing it" which I believed was impossible with multiple recipients, (I have been advised by a UK freight forwarder) they would need to be declaring it under a single name for this - correct me if I'm wrong here.

As I say, paying VAT -  that's the UK/European rules - it's the question of whether it's getting to the right coffers that seems to be in question. If you contact HK about it, they seem willing to refund any import charges via loyalty points. Why would they be refunding legitimate import charges so easily if there was nothing odd going on? Personally I got a full refund via paypal because I ordered to my work address and needed the customs declaration in case of HMRC interest. HK and SCS stonewalled me on the documents, paypal found in my favour in under 5mins on the phone to them. From what they said, they've had a number of complaints about SCS recently. By the way, just because you choose air-parcel and not SCS, it will still come by SCS, HK make that decision for you then waffle something about the warehouse might have felt it was a better option (costing an extra $15 @ checkout in my case). 

So take this one of two ways. 1) Spread the word, claim your SCS import charges back on international orders and put the pressure on HK as they seem to admit something isn't right with the SCS setup. 2) Spread the word and claim your SCS import charges back on international orders, be happy, spend them in the UK warehouse like real beer tokens. If SCS are legit, duties are being correctly paid and you get 20% off your orders, if not, hopefully HK will stop it happening.

There're a few threads on it over on RCGroups which is where I found out about it.