• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stripped another spur gear

YORKSHIRENEO

Right. This is doin me head in. Went to one of my bashing spots, ran for about 20 mins - mixed driving (full throttle, jumps, a few doughnuts) then the car stopped moving and discovered a stripped spur. Now this only happens when ive been at this bash site and when im jumping so clearly the fault must be my driving style? Below are some vids of the day in question....anyone hear or see whats causing the gear to strip?

• Like 1

You cant really change the mesh as the engine is fixed with no allowance for movement. According to the manual you just put it on and its held in place by an e clip. The pinion is central and spins freely, no wear on it. Went out yesterday to same place but did a lot less jumps and the spur looks brand new......just though i may have been on throttle on some landing which i believe is the quick way to strip a spur but both spurs did look melted as opposed to just worn down.

Edited by YORKSHIRENEO

Despite what the man at Hpi claims, I have run one for two years on a bl badger only issue has been mullering spacers for some reason, spur and pads all perfect. Makes a lot of racket over a stock, plastic spur though ;)

• Like 1

Despite what the man at Hpi claims, I have run one for two years on a bl badger only issue has been mullering spacers for some reason, spur and pads all perfect. Makes a lot of racket over a stock, plastic spur though ;)

I wondered about the spacers they do seem a bit lightweight

after looking at the last clip where 

a baja jumps like a gymnast..and u wonder why ur spur keep stripping..

i think u should leave these kind of jumps to 8th scale electrics...

cheers.

i can see whats going on quite clearly.

first is your driving style, on and off, on and off the throttle constantly, this is great for control but it bad for the clutch as it slips like crazy with such heavy throttle changes, this builds up heat and that gets transferred tot he pinion and so on

second is your jumping style, wheel speed, its not enough to not be on the throttle on these if you wheels are spinning too fast or too slow it will put strain on the spur and other gears and drive line, the rolling isn't helping either

shock setup, that thing drags its ass across the ground more than a dog suffering from piles, it is all well and good for driving across a field but that is not set up to be doing jumps, set up right you should be able to tame the jumps for the area abit more and land alot more jumps flat, on a baja i've found it best to land slightly front first, combine that with good wheel speed to car speed and you should save alot of drive line parts

location, in the forth vid down, that section of grass isn't a good place to be, listen to the engine, the varying revs as it goes over each slight bump, that is the sound of your clutch being slowed down, which is putting strain on your spur and on lower rpm it will be making the clutch slip, and heating up that pinion.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys. Was thinking that the suspension was too soft so will look into that first. I thought that the baja wud have been able to cope with the sort of bashing ive been doing? Guess i need to reign in the enthusiasm!