• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial Yeti

Zombi

Well, I've had the links since October and they've been perfectly fine. So it's either some freak coincidence that they've now both snapped, or because of the centred Currie or Jato rod ends as they're the only things to have changed.

Edited by Zombi

I got around to sorting my new AMF aluminium bonnet out. Here's how it started out.

YJGbwkm.jpg

I gave it a good sanding with 800 grit sand paper and cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol afterwards. Then followed two coats of Halfords etching primer, followed by 3 coats of Tamiya TS-6 matt black, and then 3 coats of Tamiya TS-80 clear flat.

I'm really pleased with the Halfords etching primer, it looks like really stubborn stuff. And the Tamiya TS-80 is great; although being a lacquer it is still completely matt with no reflection. I expected it to be somewhat glossy.  The only thing I should have done differently was get some Halfords matt black I'd have gotten 5 times the amount for the same price as the TS-6.

7t8orqL.jpg

Then came the decals, luckily I still have some Alpha Gorilla vinyls left.

aPHbkTw.jpg
kVDq9FJ.jpg
nBBgtrn.jpg

For completeness, here are the sprays I used

oePM4bm.jpg
cVXyZ5D.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 2

Aye not many. I considered doing the shock tower and body post mounts but I want to keep some flex in the chassis, so will leave that for now.  The only thing I really want to do now is buy the Axial front locker and try some crawling. The open front diff really is a huge hindrance for crawling ability - I get stuck with just one wheel spinning so often it's very frustrating.

Another option will be to jam a load of blu-tac in there and really stiffen it up.

My worry though is snapping or bending one of the unis.

Why not lock up the diff as you said with blue tack and give it a go, if you brake a drive shaft thats the worst that can happen i know its a wait for parts but it'll give you an excuse for an upgrade!?

The front diffs in my SCX10 and Wraith are both locked. The Wraith is running a 60t can on 3s and hasn't shown any signs of axle damage.

Aye Wraiths and SCX10s won't exhibit the problem as they are designed to have locked up fronts. Because the Yeti is high-speed, the diff is open to allow it to corner better and ease stress on the unis. I've seen several Yeti owners lock the diffs up then suffer the consequences. But, that's because they were running at speed rather than crawling.

So I imagine it'll be ok, as most of the time i'm doing crawling rather than racing.

• Like 1

Well considering the locker is 23 quid versus that at 20, it's a kinda no-brainer! Last night I ordered the axial locker and some other goodies from Asiatees. So we will soon see how well it works.

Here's Matt's official thread in the vendors section of RCC, I ordered my DWS using that.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chassis-suspension/506551-axial-yeti-steel-bumper.html

You can also buy them from various online shops such as CKRC, but I just had a quick search and they seem pretty much out of stock everywhere.