• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SchrodeMode's Tamiya TRF801XT

Well, I picked this up back in March but I haven't touched it until last night. I think I was one of the last few people to get one before they were sold out. I've read mixed reviews on it recently, but for $99, I figured it was worth a shot. It's my first kit, as well as my first truggy and first Tamiya, so I'll be using it as a learning tool. I had read that it didn't have the best quality screws, so I ordered a screw kit from Tony's Screws (great screws). The screw kit ended up not having a couple special sized screws though, and they ended up being the horrible screws that people complained about (I'll have to look for better ones). I've also read that the arms are a weak point, Tamiya released some hop-up arms that were shorter and supposedly a great upgrade. The better arms are impossible to find though, and being as the kit is now discontinued, I doubt that RPM (or any aftermarket company) will release any upgrades. My attempt at a fix for the arms will be to boil them before the final build, I've done it on other parts and it seems to work pretty well. 

On to some pics, I did a dry build last night just to check it all out and make sure it was complete. 

20140420_133808_zpswqy1k7hr.jpg

20140420_133900_zpspyjvsxmq.jpg

20140420_134041_zpsvvceubvr.jpg

20140906_142737_zpsjjdfbrxc.jpg

20140906_143341_zpsfgwfjaam.jpg

20140906_154520_zpsui9pajvl.jpg

The silver button head screws that attach the bulkheads are the problem children in this kit, they're extremely soft and strip easily. I used some hex bits and my drill, set on the lowest setting, and they still ended up rounding some.

20140906_163623_zpsxlywasvd.jpg

I was too busy with the build to actually take photos along the way, I stopped after the first couple steps.....so here it is. 

20140907_002903_zpsamuzqqwk.jpg

20140907_002934_zps8figkyzg.jpg

I still have to get the electronics in it, along with the engine and pipe. I'll be putting the Losi 454, from my LST XXL, and a Dynamite 086 in it. Being as the kit's setup for bumpstart, I'll have to lift the engine mount a little to clear the rotostart. I still have to get wheels and tires for it, being as I'm not really racing it, I'm leaning towards some Badlands.

Edited by SchrodeMode
  • Like 2