• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Just got an FG something or other

luke662

Hello Folks,

I packed in RC a little while back but wound up picking up an FG in a part exchange trade with a friend.

I've not had a petrol before and I've been looking at all the bits and pieces people recommend doing and so on.

I have a few questions I hoped some of you guys could help with.

where is the engine identifier on the engines generally, I cant see one to know which engine is fitted to mine.

I understand a decent air filter to get is a HPI Baja one. There is already a decent one on there but sadly there's a chunky hole in it so I'd rather sack it off than chance it. I quickly looked on ebay for a complete filter assembly but the only ones I spotted was a single foam layer. in the past with nitro I have had a dual layer filter and put a little bag over it. Where can you source these as a complete package for an FG?

It seems the guy who owned this before the chap I got it from had upgraded various bits all over it with metal. I have never been a fan of using alloy in the past as it tends to bend. My car has a alloy rear wishbone set. Would I be wise to put the stock unit back on and just flog the alloy ones on? There are other alloy upgrades like gear carriers and such which are obviously going to stay.

I have read the 1/5th beginners sticky thread.

Thanks in advance

Luke

People don't mind alloy so much on Fgs like arms so may aswel keep them especially if their good quality ones.

I'm told the fg air filters are one of the best it's the k&n filters you don't want.

Put some pics up for people to see and give you the best info there's a lot of clones and people bolting clone parts onto Fgs.

Look on the engine above the spur gear a zenhoa 26cc has 2070 on it just under the head above the clutch.

Then on the other side of spur behind the pullstart will say zenhoa.

Look at the screws under holding the engine in too if their self taping their plastic engine mounts if their alloy fine thread then alloy mounts.

The spur gear carrier , engine mounts , diff holders and front hubs are the main parts people switch to alloy.

But I did it on my old marder and it was pretty much a waste of money I sold it and lost every penny I put in lol.

Edited by RCbutcher

Thanks butcher. My plan is to just get it running nicely. I'm not throwing money at it as I'll probably get bored of it like I did my others. No "rc friends" in Milton Keynes.

The reason I got it is because I couldn't find anyone to buy an air rifle I had but a guy I knew was interested in a swap. Rc cars I've never had a problem shifting.

Yeah it came with all the stock parts too so I can swap it back to stock if I sell.I've not sold a large scale before to be fair. I don't see it being a problem though. I already have someone eye balling it haha