• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A little guidance please

Benjibrady

Hi all,

Purchased a thunder tiger tomahawk the other day and so far I've only been able to make it move about three inches under it's own steam.

As recommended I reset all settings to factory and after a little while it ran, with a high tick over (wheels turned when the car was lifted up) I wound the idle adjustment in slightly and it ticked over nicely, left it for 5 minutes and took the glow plug starter out. The engine died, so I put the starter pack on an it ran for about 30 seconds. Then died, I took the glow plug out, tested it and it was starting to dim so put the starter back on charge.

Couple hours later tried again and could not get it to work, I've checked the glow plug and it's glowing very bright (although I did notice the bottom most turn of the coil wasn't illuninated?) the engine also had no prime, I took the pipe out of the exhaust and tried to blow through it and couldn't. Took the other fuel line to the hsn off, and once again blew through the exhaust line and it passed through fine????

Striped and cleaned all the internals to the carb, but I still couldn't get it to prime. I wound the high speed needle out about 10 turns, managed to blow some fuel back through into the carb, so again reset everything to factory but car still won't start.

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong?

Worse come to worse is there anyone/anywhere I'm somerset I could take it to?

Many thanks,

Ben

You shoudl'nt leave the glow starter on once its started. Did you buy this buggy new? With the throttle shut the carb should  be open about 1 mm to start with. At factory settings it should start. What fuel you using and what engine have you got in it

Oh and where abouts in somerset are you?

Edited by Gashead

Nah it was 'run for 10 minutes' so not new, but to be fair it looks nearly new.

I would have thought It should have started with the factory settings.

I'm using Byron gen2 20% and the engine is a pro-18bx.

I'm in a town called frome, about 10 minutes drive from the track at Whitham friary.

Hi all,

Purchased a thunder tiger tomahawk the other day and so far I've only been able to make it move about three inches under it's own steam.

As recommended I reset all settings to factory and after a little while it ran, with a high tick over (wheels turned when the car was lifted up) I wound the idle adjustment in slightly and it ticked over nicely, left it for 5 minutes and took the glow plug starter out. The engine died, so I put the starter pack on an it ran for about 30 seconds. Then died, I took the glow plug out, tested it and it was starting to dim so put the starter back on charge.

Couple hours later tried again and could not get it to work, I've checked the glow plug and it's glowing very bright (although I did notice the bottom most turn of the coil wasn't illuninated?) the engine also had no prime, I took the pipe out of the exhaust and tried to blow through it and couldn't. Took the other fuel line to the hsn off, and once again blew through the exhaust line and it passed through fine????

Striped and cleaned all the internals to the carb, but I still couldn't get it to prime. I wound the high speed needle out about 10 turns, managed to blow some fuel back through into the carb, so again reset everything to factory but car still won't start.

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong?

what fuel you using and what make of glow plug as well as the number it is?

replace the fuel line it might be sucking in air or cracked which is why it might not be priming.

are you sure you have the correct factory settings?

also try heating the engine up with a hairdryer at home before you try start it that will loosen the engine up :thumbsup:

try a new plug as well just in cease , is the engine pull start or roto? are you sure the pull start is turning the engine over?

Nah it was 'run for 10 minutes' so not new, but to be fair it looks nearly new.

I would have thought It should have started with the factory settings.

I'm using Byron gen2 20% and the engine is a pro-18bx.

I'm in a town called frome, about 10 minutes drive from the track at Whitham friary.

defonately change the fuel tube

I had a similar problem last week............Blowing down the tube showed fuel going to the carb, but the car just would not start........after having a think about it, I loosened off the nut where the HSN needle is & where the fuel tube attaches from the fuel tank........sure enough, it had moved very slightly & the pin hole for the fuel wasn't lined up properly, so no fuel was entering the carb......it was getting through the fuel lines, but not into the carb...........lined it up properly, tightened the nut back up & it fired  up straight away.

Edited by chrisjw

Do you have the lsn needle set to flush its usually the factory setting for the lsn and alot of the time for the hsn needle too. Then set the idel screw so the carb stays open at 1mm even with brakes on.

I would try a new glow plug too running with the starter can burn them out ive read but ive seen plenty of videos of people leave the starter in to get warmed up. Ive done it afair bit too. But still good to have spare plugs. Os8 plugs are fairly cheap and fit almost all engines.

Its just going to be fiddly but it will run since you've had it going already. With used rc if it runs when you get it try to leave the settings alone lol. Ive made that mistake with loads of used nitros when I first started and some took a while to get screaming again.

Stick with it mate.

Ill get a tuning tree which will hopfully help once you have it ticking over and not cutting out from brakes or starter being taken off.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

The factory settings I'm taking are from the manuals that thankfully came with the car, in hindsight it probably would have been best to see if it did run before adjusting

I have some new os8 on order. I'll try and get some new fuel hosing as well.

I am struggling to think what else it could be

image-2.jpg

Can't believe I missed it first time around.

Tried a new glow plug today, plus new fuel lines and still didnt start, so decided to strip and clean the carb again,

I didn't realise that the hsn and lsn are connected!

By the looks of it when I've put the settings back to factory I've wound the lsn, in to far and snapped it off, hence the inability to blow through and fuel.

Does anyone know where I can get a new carb from? I do have a parts catalogue with the part number but not sure where to get them from.