• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TMaxxDave's Tamiya TB-01

TMaxxDave

They are a tad soft mate, they are a quick fix as I killed my Tamiya blocks the other day, and when I say killed, I mean proper ripped one to shreds. And the only other tyre set I have is a set of Tamiya fast road semi slicks, which are no use on the surface around my house.

Once I get some more spare cash I'll be getting a decent set of tyres and rims.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Took the Tamiya for a bash last night on its sparkly new wheels and tyres.

Unfortunately i managed to barrel roll it and ended up a serious broken part :-(

P1080857_zps6c978511.jpg

i managed to bust the spoiler into a few part pieces

so now its rocking the 'euro' look

P1080858_zps0c92d2c3.jpg

Today my new hop up arrived, a simple yet effective hop up i think.

P1080860_zps4ba483af.jpg

a TG10 bumper and urethane bumper.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I've got a raybrig NSX with a TB01 chassis that I'm hoping to get going again

I've always found it need a flat surface ( don't have to many of them around here) so is there a way to get this running off road? Is it just a case of changing the tires?

Also I want to tune it up, and recommendations in terms of batteries brushless mothers etc

Thanks in advance

Edited by Matt1001

Hello Matt. Ive always ran mine off road with just a tyre change. Tamiya Block Rallies are the best. As for a brushless combo i cant help as im still running brushed. But i do reccomend an alloy motor mount and alloy prop. The mount helps keep temps down and the prop is very light weight. Lipo batteries are the way ahead but do require a different charger and a low voltagr cut off alarm.

So what sort of ground will they run on?

Maybe I'm just being soft and some off-road tyres will do the trick

Pretty sure I've got an upgraded prop ( possibly carbon?) but I'll keep an eye out for the alloy motor mount as well

Unsure on getting a tuned brushed motor, and decent battery ( suspect mines no good now)

Or going the whole brushless, possible lipo battery , new esc etc etc

Astro turf, short short grass, like bowling green, most gravel surfaces. Pretty much anywhere. They don't like water unless you've waterproofed the electrics. Light mud is also ok. Brushless and lipo is the way ahead but it's not overly cheap, but it is a future proof investment. I run mine on car parks and gravel foot paths

• Like 1

Yeah that sounds right, although I upgraded the alloy shaft to carbon,

So as well as tyres do I need to buy the heavier diff gear, and longer shocks? And possibly gears?

If so what parts am I looking for I don't want to order tb01 parts to find out there the ones I already have instead of the ones I'm looking for?

I've got plastic diff gears in mine, changed them from the metal ones, I've not had an issue yet. Been other 10years with them. Gear wise, I'm running a 3.17 Ratio which I think is 18t pinion to 57t driven, can't remember exactly. This gives rapid acceleration, as IMO rally cars don't need much top end.

Try it with rally blocks first, you want between 10 and 14mm ground clearance under the chassis, if it's still too low then try moving the shocks or fitting longer eyelets to the bottoms before you buy a new set.

Your diff gears should be fine, try the combo in it before you go off looking for the alloy motor mount, it's getting rare and expensive these days.

You may find your car is already fitted with the long arm hop up, does it have cvd's all round or dog bones?

You should be able to find a dust cover, TeamBlueGroove in Canada make repro ones.

So after a loooooong time, I've finally bought a new shell for the Tamiya, which was a little silly I know considering I need a new ESC, but the forward only I'm running at the moment will have to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes I do, or maybe the setup below this one, maybe a 4200kv. Pinion wise.... Depends what your aiming for, quick off the line, or high top end, mine is setup to be quick off the line but I do need to alter it slightly as its a bit too quick for me. Lol