• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

I Am Still Having Problems

hokuspokus

That's the thing, unless they've been abused, the mechanical bits should be okay or should be spotted on pics. Engines, even if you have a inside shot it won't tell you the full story. That smartech could have been 30 quid wasted but in the end I got more than 30 quids worth of fun from abusing it  :whistling: . Roller still sat on garage shelf, it'll cost more than 30 quid to sort though!

Keep an eye on max bashing, they have some good kit in the f/sale section. Tends to be a bit higher quality stuff in general so expect to pay a bit more tho.

you a member on there aswell? am on it but this is a good forum i think and the R/C tech forum is good also,the guys quick at responding to your threads also which is good ;),would like to get a hyper 7 at a good price.

Tell me what ya think off this is it a bargain,how good are they? what do they mean by electric start,maybe silly to ask but am a dumbo when it comes to all this stuff :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traxxas-Nitro-ELECTRIC-START-TRX-RC-radio-controlled-Petrol-Car-TRUCK-Buggy-/301231397198?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4622ca594e

I don't think that Traxxas is a bargain really but I might be wrong. I don't like the ez-start system although I can see it's benefits but mainly a few photos and very few details other than "I can start it" always make me a bit shy. 2wd as well, I'd much rather have 4wd but each to their own.

Good suggestion from Clogger about gumtree, the cunning in me thinks less likely to know true value of the car but more importantly you can see it running, make sure there's a nice trail of smoke, it's running on the right fuel and it runs as you would expect having watched some vids of the same model. Again, as Clogger says, if you can afford to lose 50 notes, gambling on a cheapy can pay off as an intro. If you want something that won't crumble on the first jump/flip,  expect to pay a fair bit more. Hyper 7/ST, Losi, Mugen even a Hong Nor (although models and parts getting scarcer) should all be hardy bashers but there are plenty of other good models.

Edited by Smoothybb

Ahh, yes, didn't spot your location. Makes it a bit trickier.

Get what you pay for is fairly accurate in RC mostly, certainly when on ebay. Sometimes you can beat the saying tho. They other thing to remember is "Only needs...." always makes me think, why didn't you sort it then?

Edited by Smoothybb

They run them into the ground then sell on ebay stating 'running well last time out' and hope someone will bid a good price.  They don't care how much it'll cost you to put it right, or even that they might be selling to someone wanting to try rc who knows next to nothing about it.  My Rustler was advertised as a VXL by a woman selling it for her son, it has an aluminium chassis, a Castle motor and ESC, a Losi tx & rx and Losi servos, about the only VXL bit left is the body!  I saw VXL and the price and thought I was getting a bargain, luckily it runs well and survived being submerged in a small pond but it aint VXL even if all the extras are worth more.

Thing is, as long as the description is correct on fleabay ie. quite loosely worded, not always easy to get your money back. Some people say spares or repairs and all it needs is a tune and a glo-plug. Others claim MG995 servos are 'hopped up parts' and comes with massive spares (that have been used to death). That's why I prefer rollers and hypers for projects because parts are cheap and everywhere. I'd hate to think I'd misled someone when describing an item for sale.

I'm the same, as honest as possible when selling.  I'd feel so guilty knowing I'd ripped someone off, pity there are so many out there who just don't care.

I always try to get a bargain but usually end up paying top whack for something,explain to me what rollers are i see them on flea bay at a decent price ive no clue about all this,so i could end up buy rubbish and costing me loads to fix it etc,at least you guys explain yourselves very well ;)

Roller is a rolling chassis, no engine/motor and no electrics unless stated otherwise hence the good prices.  Usually they include all the other mechanical bits such as diffs, gearbox, drive shafts, etc (please correct me if I'm wrong) so you need to factor in the cost of an engine/motor, servos, esc (if electric) and tx & rx unless of course you already have these parts from another car or spares.

I have a weird fear that they'll receive it and think "That's not what he said it was". I sold some truggy tyres once, took the time to get a decent shot of the tread so buyers could see, explained they were as I received in a job lot, might need re-gluing, still ended up accepting them back as they weren't as well glued as I described. was gutted.

A roller can vary tbh. I think a race roller is everything but an engine (and probably radio gear) so servos included. Some people describe a roller as the basic chassis and bits, but no engine, no servos no radio. I expect a roller to normally be chassis plus wheels, add your own radio, engine and servos. 

Just noticed that losi roller on MB is Oh How Original off of here lol. Least he'd tell you the truth about it. :thumbsup:

Yeah it does help having spares around, you sometimes forget you've spent money on the bits needed to complete. Well, it helps me think of it as cheap  :whistling:

Say a decent roller, 70 quid, 20 for a radio, another 40 (tops) for some servos that will get you going (new or better quality used) and then 80 quid ish for engine. You're paying more than rtr but you know you've got a spanking new engine that looked after, will last you for a while.

Bad time to buy at the moment though. Everyone is out in the good weather not wanting to part with models. Come autumn, sales liven up a bit going into winter, prices don't hold as well etc.

Edited by Smoothybb

I might use the 3 boys cars as spares save me break-in them in lol god they would do me in if i did that on them,so ya reckon to look for a roller then?what is a good roller to buy am on the bay looking here.

No offence but I would have bought electric cars to be honest.

So much easier to use,okay you don't get the noise that people seem to like (it drives me mad) but then you don't have the headache of constantly tuning.

I appreciate you can get better at it in time but whilst you are struggling to get one car going well it can become disheartening and that's when people tend to give up,sell up and don't bother with RC again.

I wouldn't buy a nitro car again unless it was to convert it to brushless :)

Whilst electric is easier, nitro has the advantage that to an extent you can look out your window and if the weather looks good off you go where as electric you have to check the weather forecast (we all know how good they are!) and if it's going to be nice tomorrow you can put your batteries on charge.  Also, once your battery has died you either need another one or you go home, nitro you just refill the tank.  The modern brushless cars can be very fast, there are videos on you tube of some doing more than 100mph.  My Rustler is brushless and it's pretty fast, it wheelies every time I touch the throttle, change a couple of gears and it should easily do 65mph.  The downside is a