• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Dark Knights Xray XB4-2wd

Last lot of advice (at least for tonight).

Run what others run (spares and support being the main reason, as well as that they must work!!).

As an average racer that is invaluable esp at the beggining.

Once you get to understand how a car works stick with it for a bit. Different cars respond/want different things, so stability whilst your driving develops is key. Remember your driving is what will make the difference and stability will help that to develop.

Some wise words there  :thumbsup: Saying that though, I'm the only one who runs my brand of touring car at the club and keep my own spares. "touch wood" I haven't had any breakages.

There's one other guy a the club that runs a B5 now and a few that run them in the SORC so I should be ok for spares. Once I get to the know the car, I'll stock up on parts which I break.

That's the B5M ordered and will be the car I'll be sticking with. I need to get some practice in before the next club round which is on the 10th August and then the local club is hosting one of this years SORC rounds the weekend after which I'll be racing in if all's well just for a bit of experience.

• Like 1

Its very thin so I just bought the JC one. Everyones set is different but I run...

Springs- front losi black and rear losi white

Shock oil- front 35 and rear 30

Other than that my car is stock with a few shock changes to gain more front grip. I also made some battery amd servo weights that seemed to help. I've made some lead weights but I am yet to test them.

Yeah I was going to order it in the morning but wasn't 100% sure. But I'm confident the B5M is a step in the right direction.

I started racing touring cars with a Team Associated TC4 & I really liked it apart from it was imperial fixings and my other models where metric. The B5M is metric though which is good for me.

What size spur does the kit come with?

What you'll find out is that the extra weight of the saddle packs makes the car easier to drive (esp on slippier surfaces).

Also the larger capacity will be an advantage to run times, and will probably be able to get over to runs per charge.

Square pack are a bit of a gimmick atm, since they don't really offer anything over saddles other than 1 jumper wire less, whilst restricting use on some cars. Also not many are brca legal...

Saddle packs are the most versatile as it stands.

For some of the top flight drivers the extra response you get from a lighter car is wanted, but for 99% of drivers saddles will be just as quick esp over a 5min run.

Edited by charlesk

Thanks for your thoughts Charles, saddles definitely sounds the way to go.

I've never really considered running battery on more than one run. I'll keep an eye on how many mah I use between heats at the next club meeting.

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't that happy with my B5M after a few test runs and one club meeting so I decided to put my Xray XB2 back together to try it out.

What can I say, wish I hadn't listened to some peoples thoughts about the Xray, I instantly felt more comfortable driving it.

So I decided to take a gamble and run it in the SORC (Scottish Offroad Championship) round hosted by Stonehaven Radio car club (SDRCC) which is my local club.

The weather forecast wasn't looking good but it ended up being really nice all morning and most the afternoon. I managed to qualify 9th in A group, my first A with a buggy so was really happy with that. The first final was dry and went ok, I was upto 5th at one point but a few mistakes and some pretty aggressive driving from other racers put me back down to the 9th.

The second final pretty wet, a few heavy showers beforehand and during the final turned the track into a mud bath. I must admit I did struggle a bit in the wet and need to work on the wet set-up for the car but could see potential in it. Lack of etiquette and a bit of poor marshalling meant I ended up finishing 10th. I was pretty ****** off after that final so decided not to race the third final.

During the day I made a few set-up changes, the main one, as advised by a Xray sponsered driver, was to change the rear toe to 5*. He also advised to change the diff oil to 20,000cst, I didn't have oil with me but have changed this for the next club round.

1621918_10152565041810210_31405054621904

10550985_10152565304065210_9041554862300

Here's the XB2 after a good clean, I've also started using Muc-Off silicone spray to help keep it clean as advised by Alex, it really seemed to help at the weekend. 

10570285_10152570468760210_3769586328589

Other changes I've been advised to make are 50g of weight under each of the lipos, 20g of weight behind of each of the lipos and the Xray brass rear hangers. I currently have 15g of weight behind each of the lipos using stick-on weights. I'll make some under lipo weights myself.

The official Xray brass parts are quite expensive for what they are so if anyone knows of someone selling them, please let me know. I won't be buying new ones this year as there is only two club rounds left but will buy them if anyone is selling.

I'll add some more photos of the SORC round once other people upload them  :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

I wasn't that happy with my B5M after a few test runs and one club meeting so I decided to put my Xray XB2 back together to try it out.

What can I say, wish I hadn't listened to some peoples thoughts about the Xray, I instantly felt more comfortable driving it.

So I decided to take a gamble and run it in the SORC (Scottish Offroad Championship) round hosted by Stonehaven Radio car club (SDRCC) which is my local club.

The weather forecast wasn't looking good but it ended up being really nice all morning and most the afternoon. I managed to qualify 9th in A group, my first A with a buggy so was really happy with that. The first final was dry and went ok, I was upto 5th at one point but a few mistakes and some pretty aggressive driving from other racers put me back down to the 9th.

The second final pretty wet, a few heavy showers beforehand and during the final turned the track into a mud bath. I must admit I did struggle a bit in the wet and need to work on the wet set-up for the car but could see potential in it. Lack of etiquette and a bit of poor marshalling meant I ended up finishing 10th. I was pretty ****** off after that final so decided not to race the third final.

During the day I made a few set-up changes, the main one, as advised by a Xray sponsered driver, was to change the rear toe to 5*. He also advised to change the diff oil to 20,000cst, I didn't have oil with me but have changed this for the next club round.

1621918_10152565041810210_31405054621904

10550985_10152565304065210_9041554862300

Here's the XB2 after a good clean, I've also started using Muc-Off silicone spray to help keep it clean as advised by Alex, it really seemed to help at the weekend. 

10570285_10152570468760210_3769586328589

Other changes I've been advised to make are 50g of weight under each of the lipos, 20g of weight behind of each of the lipos and the Xray brass rear hangers. I currently have 15g of weight behind each of the lipos using stick-on weights. I'll make some under lipo weights myself.

The official Xray brass parts are quite expensive for what they are so if anyone knows of someone selling them, please let me know. I won't be buying new ones this year as there is only two club rounds left but will buy them if anyone is selling.

I'll add some more photos of the SORC round once other people upload them  :thumbsup: 

The car looks very very nice mate and i hope you have lots of success with it!

I had a problem, my motor went bang so i ordered a new one and must of clicked 17.5t instead of 7.5t by accident so i need to get another motor, I'm still yet to race at a track with it though..