• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Old TA Tc3 upgrade to brushless set up

Lo08nyb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I ended up buying a brushless set up, didn't go too mad as I'm spending quite a bit on a new buggy project.

I went for a leopard 60amp esc with 4370kw motor combo, also got 2 x 2c turnigy 5000MAh lipos.

I don't think the lipos come with connectors, what would be the best method of connecting the lipos to esc?

Thanks guys!

Also I don't think the TC3 is going to be geared correctly for the new brushless system, I just checked the original pinion and it's a 25t pinion with the esc motor and battery set up for the above what should I be running?

Cheers

Hi guys,

Postman came today with lots of treats!

Got esc motor combo and also lipos :) have had to order different pinion gears done some routing around on line and for this kind of motor team associates recommend anything between 17t - 20t so order all 3 and will have a play and see how each one performs.

Also the lipo connectors are different to the esc.... Lipos have bullet type connectors and esc has dean type question is which would be the best to change? Lipos or esc

Cheers!

Hi guys,

Postman came today with lots of treats!

Got esc motor combo and also lipos :) have had to order different pinion gears done some routing around on line and for this kind of motor team associates recommend anything between 17t - 20t so order all 3 and will have a play and see how each one performs.

Also the lipo connectors are different to the esc.... Lipos have bullet type connectors and esc has dean type question is which would be the best to change? Lipos or esc

Cheers!

i would go deans but it also depends on whats on your charger as you may be changing them aswell 

Hi mate,

Have a charger with all possible charging adapters :) iv never changed the plugs on a lipo is there anything I need to be causes of?

Cheers!

if youare going to change plugs just remember todo one side at a time. so if your doing deans do the pos first and leave the neg with the old plug on it till your finished the other side and keep it away from any metal parts that may be lying around.

heres a the traxxas connector way

and the deans connectors way

Cheers!

That combo is basically a newer version of mine but with different branding. My motor is a 10t 3900kv. I managed to get hold of another combo for my truggy so I've now moved it over to the TC3.

13EAD0E2-1C53-42F2-B91A-3155D5E925FA.jpg

Every thing fitted well but I need some better double sided pads to mount the esc & rx. The combo has a decent turn of speed. I'm running a 27 pinion and 72 spur but I also have a 25 and 30 pinion. With the 27 the motor was warm to the touch after 3 or 4 mins but these motors run hot anyway. It's definitely cooler in the tc3 compared to the truggy though. I'm rebuilding the shocks tonight. The next thing I need is a new set of tyres and perhaps a new shell as the enzo shell I have at the moment is abit 2004 lol...

the deans connectors way

v=XYhmzY5wQAA

When I bought my sons buggy (preowned) I took the battery (nimh) out to charge it. I put it on my sink and hear the distinct noise of a battery shorting out. The previous owner had put the male deans onto the battery and I had placed my battery on my stainless sink. I'd never used deans before but I thought to myself "that's dangerous" and promptly cut the wires to the battery/esc and resoldered/heatshrinked the wires the right way around.

Hi Optimus,

Tc3 is looking good in the photos!

I found my old manual for the car and it reads that with a 10turn motor the pinion should be 18t for the 72 spur....I bought a load anyway they where only cheap after spending the best part of

Ha, it might look decent in the pictures but its rough around the edges up close as my younger brother had it for a few years. The bottom of the chassis is really scratched up. I'd like to replace all the screws underneath there at some point. I bought some of those blocks that hold in the front and rear hinge pins as the originals have been stripped of thread. I've still got to put those on.

Rebuilding the shocks is easy (it was only my second time doing so) but I should look at my manual too as I'm fairly sure it states what weight oil to use. If your tc3 was used as much as mine you'll be surprised of the colour of the oil that comes out baring in mind its clear when it goes in.

64BD051F-E98F-41C0-99C5-D1539656DAE0.jpg

As for setup. Goodness knows, I remember messing around with it when I was younger but I didn't have a setup table. Just rulers and set squares lol. At the moment I'm just driving around with the shell off (I hate the enzo) so I'll worry more about the handling when I get a new shell and tyres/wheels.

You got any pics of yours?

Oh yeah, I don't know how brushed motors compare with brushless so its pure guesswork with the gearing for me at the moment. The smallest pinion I have is a 25...

Edited by optimus

Hi Optimus,

I'll upload some photos of it later, I'm currently working at home and cannot focus what so ever and certainly won't get anything done if I start messing around with the car lol

I bought a new servo for the steering so that will be going in later tonight, also going to pick up the dean connectors so I can start using the lipos :D

Would you recommend a balance charge for the first time charging them?

Think ill have a bash at the shocks tonight if I have enough time!

Cheers!

I bought a cheap balance charger. It does the job and has a digital display but it won't charge without the battery being connected to the balance port so I guess its probably good practice to balance charge each time and won't harm the battery. I've read about people doing a balance charge every few cycles of their batteries so I suppose its ok to do this and I think the battery will charge a bit quicker but I'd rather not risk it...

I had a spare half hour this afternoon and took the tc3 out for a blast. The motor got hot as hell. Smaller spur for me too methinks.

I bought a cheap balance charger. It does the job and has a digital display but it won't charge without the battery being connected to the balance port so I guess its probably good practice to balance charge each time and won't harm the battery. I've read about people doing a balance charge every few cycles of their batteries so I suppose its ok to do this and I think the battery will charge a bit quicker but I'd rather not risk it...

I had a spare half hour this afternoon and took the tc3 out for a blast. The motor got hot as hell. Smaller spur for me too methinks.

if the motor got hot as hell like you said drop the pinion size a couple of teeth if you have smaller ones then try again 

Right,

All the new bits have been installed:

New esc

New brushless motor

New 2.4g radio system

New steering servo

And some lipo power! (soldered on the new connectors today as well)

Just waiting on the smaller pinion to be delivered have ordered a 18,19, & 20 going to try the lot and see where I end up!

Going to service the shocks at some point this week then start bashing!

Thanks for all your help guys really appreciate it!

Wow just took it out with the 25t pinion kept an eye on the motor temp it was getting quite warm but it was so fast like uncontroable fast!

Will gear it down I know it will loose some speed, my only worry is that due to it having over double the power it use to will it damage the gears and differentials? As if I remember they where only plastic surely they won't be able to take all that new brushless & lipo stress?

Cheers

I need to do service my diffs too. I think it will be fine if they are looked after (lubed up). Make sure your pinion is meshed properly too otherwise your spur will get chewed up...

My esc is set for maximum punch which is fun for breaking traction and getting the wheels spinning although it would have more grip more when I get some new tyres. It is kind of fun sliding the thing around on the old tyres though.