• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

help please

monsterman26

just rebuilt my engine and now it wont start. now has new gaskets and head. i jkust cant get the thing started, not even a splutter!. it has good spark, fresh fuel and plenty of compression. ive tried everything i can think of and still nothing. can any of you guys help me please?

stripped and rebuilt again, all gaskets in the right place, killswitch totally removed (for now) great spark, fuel, needles set to factory. still absoluteley nothing!!!! did notice one thing thats got me worried, when i turned the engine over by had so i could inspect the piston through the inlet and outlet ports, i noticed the the piston top of the piston never cleared the inlet port at b.d.c, i thought id at least have seen a gap appear at the top of the port, between it and the piston. (i hope u get what i mean) so is this normal??

Compression ok?? Remove the coil to stop the resistance from the magnet and be sure you still feel as much compression as before, but sure fuel is definitely getting in the engine (is the plug getting wet etc). At the worst a drop of fuel down the spark hole. Be sure it's a drop and not a pour and see what happens.

Remove the carb and insulator block and be sure there isn't an air leak which could easily stop the right fuel mix getting into the cylinder

Also flywheel back on ok in the right position with the woodruff key, might be worth removing it and reseating it to be sure you are getting ignition at the correct time

Sometimes you have to take a few steps back to move forward....

First off...why did the engine need rebuilding? What new parts if any did you fit?

Secondly...when you say you have a good spark and compression...how have you checked this.

Now...you can actually get good sparks that break down under load, so if you do have a spare plug, it's always worth trying anyway.

Have you got the airfilter fitted? If so...then you have a lot of gas blowing back...which you shouldn't. The reason you cannot see past the piston is because the mixture goes in UNDER the piston not above it. From there it goes via the crankcase up the transfer ports to the combustion chamber. All this is controlled by a combination for the piston moving up and down to pump the mixture, and the piston opening up the ports. You need to make sure all is well right along the line.

Is the exhaust clogged up with carbon or unburnt mixture? Are all the gaskets sealing. Is the isolator block sealing and not cracked or warped. Inlet gaskets need to be correctly positioned too. Did you use a fresh base gasket?

Couple of other things to try...

1) Take out the plug and turn the car upside down....pull the pullstarter a couple of times. If the crankcase has got excess fuel stuck in there, that will shift it.

2) Try warming up the plug before you put it back in. A hot plug will not foul up so readily.