• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

replacing valve seal

froggy8

hey guys, could anyone tell me if they have replaced their valve seal on their cars please?

i want to have a go on mine and just wondered if it is easy to do

cheers

valve seal? 

i take it you mean the cylinder head where the valve seals if so you dont replace it you but put a new valve in and use a cutting compound greese and re seal them as they just sit flush in the head.

sorry if i have misunderstood :thumbsup:  

oh wait just released what your on about,

i was wrong

Edited by savagejoe

It is quite a big job - pretty certain the head has to come off and depending on mileage, it may be prudent to overhaul head (re-grind valves (as Savagejoe mentioned), replace cam belt and tensioner and, possibly, water pump while you have it stripped, as I think it is a pig to get at on that engine if it packs up later.

Not something to be undertaken lightly if you have no experience and knowledgeable assistance to call on if you need it. Could be setting yourself up for a whole heap of trouble later if you don't put it back right.

• Like 1

Yeah, what he said. The 8v Head doesnt have to come off but the 16v does. Its a heafty job and is very time consuming. The Head will need skimming too. Will be needing a full Head set, oil, filter, antifreeze, timing belt kit and you might as well Chuck in a thermostat while you are there. It is doable as a diy job but unless you really know your way around an engine, its a nig job.

• Like 1

Decent socket set (including some extra (larger) sockets), torque wrench, valve spring compressor, valve grinding tackle, lots of patience (you're not going to do it in a couple of hours as a diy) immediately come to mind and, unless appearances are deceptive, possibly some bigger muscles!

Quite a while since I did anything like that, so out of touch on prices, but whilst I guess that your valve seals might be about a tenner (should be included in Head set, anyway), you are probably going to have maybe

Edited by Shudson
  • Like 1

You'll need some inverted torx bits for that model/year astra aswell, not too bad of a job tbh but that's coming from a mechnic with 18 years in the trade! Is the engine smoking/burning oil? when is it burning oil the most, on start up? when up to temp?

• Like 1

I done it with 16v head on the car, madza 323f, and mr2 turbo. You need a piece of long rope that goes in spark plug and turn the crank up so piston can compress the rope, thus holding in valves. you can remove those seals, very easy to do it, but quite fiddling job. You can use piler or something to remove the valve stem seal.

You need to remove the camshaft to access the valve stem seals. So you need to be comfortable doing cam timing. they are simple once you figure it out.

it is VERY EASY to loose the 'valve collets', it pings off somewhere or down the engine. so use rags around the valve springs. you need a special tool, you can make it yourself. 1ft aluminium tube with r/c brushless motor magnets on the end. so you use this tool to compress the valve spring, so the magnet will catch the collet inside the tube. On other end of same tool will help you install the collet by placing collet on valve stem first and then use tool to compress the valve spring. it should pop back in. this is most hardest part of job of doing this....

sorry if I waffle with bad English ;)

• Like 1

You will need the camshafts out so will need to remove the timing belt as the belt drives the camshafts, soon as you remove the cams the belt will come off and you'll knock out the timing so best to set the timing, remove the belt then remove the cams