• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Harvey Croft's Savage XL Octane Thread

HarveyC

Glad you got it back Ian, hope its now going to be OK.

In regard to the exhaust gasket ... they look like they are made from solid aluminium about 0.5mm thick. When I took mine off this morning it looked brand new and had not compressed at all (as I would have thought it should have done), so rather than fit one of the new ones, I applied some high temperature rtv ( Loctite 5920) on both sides and reassembled it.

The new batteries are taking some time to cycle, but hopefully tomorrow morning, I'll be able to put it all back together and I should be ready for the next outing.

Harvey

Just come across this on you tube don`t understand what they are saying but look at the pictures they are showing of the Octane engine take note of the carb.

Newly developed engine nothing to do with Nitro HA HA

Edited by Ian w

Yes,

I think that's a picture of an early prototype ... looks like the tank has been 3d printed.

Ian ... whilst you are looking around yours, just check the clearance between the nut on the steering servo arm and the little bulge in the bottom of the tank. I found with mine that as you moved the steering towards right hand lock, they collided and it lifted the tank. I fixed the problem by making up and fitting some spacing washers about 1.5mm thick to go under the tank mount lugs.

H

Ian,

Why didn't I think of that? ... better than my idea of using plastic washers, I'll do that to mine as well.

I've just finished putting  it back together.

Fitting the higher capacity batteries was a bit of a fiddle as they are slightly bigger than the original ones and are a snug fit. I've mounted the kill switch on top of the batteries under the rx platform, and fitted the led at the front side of the rx box just above the cdi unit. I have also gone back to my original intention  of using the Absima radio system. It's all to do with where the antenna comes out of the rx. Although the antenna on the Absima R3WP rx is a bit shorter than that of the Spectrum SR410, because it emerges from the end rather than the side, the length of antenna in the tube end up slightly longer. The active bit is not above the cylinder head however and I'm a bid concerned that there may be range problems because of this ... have to wait and see.

Anyway .. its just a matter now of recharging the batteries (done a LOT of testing) and waiting for a suitable chance to do some more runs (expects to get a text from Nick anytime after he reads this).

Harvey

• Like 1

Just had a couple of minutes spare so started it up YEAH it started quite easily. Ohhh !!! hang on while its running I`ve gpt no radio response it just sits ticking over very nicely with the servos twitching all the time.Response returns as soon as I turn engine of.

I suppose the battery could be down or maybe a loose connection. BUT IT STARTED one step forward.

I have been looking all over to see if HPI Had changed any thing.Did not see any thing until I started putting fuel in and they have changed the fuel pick up in the tank to a much shorter one. In fact I would say that it is an up dated tank.

Edited by Ian w

Harvey

The only reason I thought of this is because the Savage always had O rings on there tank mounting.

Where did you get your new batteries from ? can`t find any. Thanks

Edited by Ian w

Its looking up now then im sure the losi will be plagued too especially with their other recent releases. Do the octanes vary in spec im not positive but think I've seen three variations of manifolds black , silver and copper altho the copper could have been a well used silver one. Has anyone else thought that. If true I wonder which is the latest dress.

• Like 1

Its looking up now then im sure the losi will be plagued too especially with their other recent releases. Do the octanes vary in spec im not positive but think I've seen three variations of manifolds black , silver and copper altho the copper could have been a well used silver one. Has anyone else thought that. If true I wonder which is the latest dress.

Yeah I thought this but the more they are used the exhaust changes color, they start of sort of black and gradually turn silver. Mines a sort of copper color now.

Ian,

The batteries I've used are Orion 1900Xls, I got them from Wheelspin Models. I went there because they had the exhaust gaskets in stock, and also a replacement body shell for my Maverick XB (remember, I rolled that when we were together last time!).

In answer to RCButcher, they start out a nice mat black, but mine has now turned into a sort of a golden colour near the exhaust port and I guess this will progress to most of the system in due course.

Harvey

Edited by HarveyC

Ian,

Regarding your radio problem I wonder if they used a different TX rather than your's ... worth trying to rebind the system.

H

"Did not see any thing until I started putting fuel in and they have changed the fuel pick up in the tank to a much shorter one. In fact I would say that it is an up dated tank."

OOOOOOpppps cancel that it must have got caught up in transit     :imstupid::36_11_6[1]:

GETTING A BIT PEED OFF NOW :shockingscary:  I have a car that starts and runs perfectly but as soon as it starts no radio communication. Batteries fully charged and I have re done the binding. What next :gun2:

Ian

Plucking at straws here, but check that the plug connector is full pushed onto the plug. If that fails, try changing the plug, I think these modern plugs have an interference suppressor built in to them and yours might be faulty.

Harvey

An, I had an issue with a servo in my 5ive, when it started my throttle servo would go full open. Turns out it would twitch when vibrating and looked to be a fault pot'

Yeah it looks like it something like that with my one only its both servo