• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help needed for total beginner

liamb2387

Hi

Iv been looking to buy a 1/8th nitro buggy for the last few days and decided that, on my budget I'm going to have to buy 2nd hand.

Iv now narrowed it down to 2 choices. The old style hyper 7 .21 or a totally rebuilt ansmann virus .28.

Both will cost around the same so I'm literally just comparing cars.

Please help

Sorry for double post. My first thoughts were the hyper but the only thing that put me off was that its the first edition but I have read elsewhere that its not all that different to the newer hypers. Also, I was swayed by the engines. 21 in the hyper and 28 in the virus. What's your views on the engines?

My budget is only around

the .21 in the hyper is good enough. The only thing I would do engine wise is change the clutch to an answer one with alloy shoes as the standard clutch engages too soon. That clutch with the 1.0mm springs run great

Firstly, not all Virus are .28 and some Hypers are, so engine size should not influence your choice of chassis.

Parts for the Hyper are readily available and cheap, if only because there are so many of them out there. I must admit that I have no experience of the Virus, but really can't see how it can be stronger than the Hyper. I have only ever broken shocker shafts on mine and they are easily and cheaply replaceable.

As far as engines are concerned, size isn't everything! I have 5 Hypers with a variety of engines ranging from the "standard" 3 port .21 to various .28s. I do have spare .28s that I could replace the .21s with - but I haven't done.

In use, there isn't a great difference in performance and the Hyper .21 is a good, easy to use, solid and reliable engine.

If all you want to do is have fun, go for overall condition of the buggy. If it happens to be a Hyper .21 and, in the unlikely event of its performance disappointing, you can always get a larger second-hand engine (no different risk to buying a complete second hand car) later.

Cheers for the in depth answers. Think I'll go for the hyper then. I'm looking to get a buggy firstly for fun, but with a view to possibly racing. Thanks for the advice on the clutch. I might just do that. Is there any other obvious upgrades and that are worth considering? The servo has already been upgraded apparently

for steering anything over 10kg is recommended. You don't really need any upgrades as there bombproof. If you eventually need a bit more speed you could swap the carb out for an rb/novarossi item. Was the first thing I did with the standard engine. Really wakes it up

its just basically a carb from a rb or a novarossi engine. It has a bigger throat on the carb its also easier to tune with. Gives alot more mid and top end on the hyper motor. I would link you to one but my phone doesn't like it while I'm abroad. I will get some pics up at the weekend for you. Then if that's not enough power then we get onto engine porting which makes these engines scream, but if you don't know what your doing can ruin an engine. Having years of experience tuning two strokes' and race bikes helps

Could you tell me more about the above upgrade? What part would I need? I really am new to it all and understand only the very basics

Those carbs (which are very expensive new) are basically just a larger bore, so you can get more mixture in. However, in this game, as with most things, there is no such thing as a free lunch! Whilst the up-side might be more output, the down side is that tuning becomes more critical and throttle response less smooth and reliable. The cost to the engine manufacturer of using a slightly larger drill when they are manufacturing the carb is nil - so why don't they do it? They spend a lot of money developing an engine and arriving at reasonable compromises for most users.

As a beginner, just be content with what the manufacturer has come up with. Wait until you have a car before you start thinking about making it faster; it might be too fast for you as it is for a start!

• Like 1

I agree on trying the car first. I was just giving some options further down the line. As this engine is mass produced there is obviously gains to be had from them with tuning. Like you said they need to cater for the novice up. Get used to your engine then if its not enough at least there are cheap options to make I faster. Rb carbs go for about

The hyper 7 is the choice to go. 

engines , meh ones a 21 and others a 28 , not much difference. but truthful engine just moves the truck,

the driver skill plays more a part. entry level racers are going to be mostly running .21 size lumps. 

hyper 7 in there day were the dog dangleys, i had an thundertiger eb3 buggy with a .21 and oh boy it was fun.

big meaty and took some stick. even the little .21 force engine was a blast. 

forget upgrades, start with the hyper throw it around a track a few times have a ball and start to save pennys for the next 

model 

i have a hyper 7 with the .28, can highly recommend this for bashing and to say its all standard apart from uprated servos its pretty nippy.

had it for 2 months running it hard and up to now nothing broke or even come close

you made a good choice in my opinion

• Like 1