• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hpi savage x 4.1 no drive?

Sambecky1989

Have you got a reverse module? If so...that can get stranded between gears and do that as well. Usually though, it's the slipper clutch.

If there is no threadlock on the drive cups, the pins do work loose and fall out.

If it's none of the above...then it's time to break out the spanners :)

Either your clutch bearings have failed or the screw in the end of hte crank that holds it on has fallen out.

The clutch bell has come right off as far as it can go and is only held in place by the spur....which if it was plastic....would have just shredded.

Pop the engine out and have a look at the clutch bell, bearings and shoes.

There something a bit wrong here first of your slipper clutch is not level your spur gear is running to far back on the clutch bell and there seems to be a pile of grey dust under the clutch bell.

So engine out clutch bell of and try and see what is happening.

Nitro just beat me to it  :thumbsup:

I take it the spur gear is the big to other gear at top of assembly if so this when spun is wonky (sort of not flush one side but is the other)

I shall see what I can see and do and please follow this post as totally new to stripping it down etc and will need help cheers

Yeah it could be but you still need to take the engine out to find out where that grey dust has come from. When it comes to putting together don`t forget to use liquid thread lock.

Yep...those are the bearings the clutch bell runs on. Both are completely shot. One is totally disintegrated, and the other has shed it's shields and is about to follow.

Cheap to replace. Needs doing from time to time.

Get your bearings from RC bearings rather than 'genuine HPI'. I bought ten for around

• Like 1

Yup as Nitroholic said the bearings have given up. So you need to get 2 clutch bearings if you can stretch to it I would also get a new clutch bell. The obvious cause of this is that a sometime water or damp has got into the clutch this has caused thge back bearing to go rusty and you can see some residue rust on the shaft.

You need to get whats left of the bearing of the shaft then with some oil and fine emery paper rub that rust of. 

Nitro beats me again :hahadance:

Yep...those are the bearings the clutch bell runs on. Both are completely shot. One is totally disintegrated, and the other has shed it's shields and is about to follow.

Cheap to replace. Needs doing from time to time.

Get your bearings from RC bearings rather than 'genuine HPI'. I bought ten for around

Still slightly confused about what I need

Is it

2x clutch bell bearings

Possible clutch bell??

The spur gear slipper clutch is the bit confusing me most do I just need slipper pads or the whole lot gear, pads, etc

Thanks and sorry for the questions

From what I can see from the picture you just need the pad. Check it over carefully but you should be able to clean off the old pad and stick on a new one

Yes to 2 bearings clutch bell depends how damaged it is.

• Like 1

From what I can see from the picture you just need the pad. Check it over carefully but you should be able to clean off the old pad and stick on a new one

Yes to 2 bearings clutch bell depends how damaged it is.

Thanks

Are there meant to be metal pins sticking out this wheel for the metal disc to sit on???

imagejpg2_zps3f16ce41.jpg

Also while cleaning notice two other things I need lol

Engine brace things as one is cracked and split

imagejpg1_zpse44635be.jpg

And the plate itself is cracked near the top right screw

imagejpg2_zps71af7425.jpg

I got a drawer full of the motor plates, and may well have a brace....I'll have a look.

Clutch bell looked OK, and as long as the tetth are not damaged, it will be fine. Just replace the bearings once you check the teeth. They looked OK in the pics...but it's easier to tell in the flesh.

The back plate for the slipper clutch has 2 pins that go into the steel disc. They shouldn't stick out firther than the front face of the metal disc. They locate it on the backplate. The backplate is keyed to the gearbox input shaft. So....the motor drives the spur gear. The spur gear will drive the metal disc as long as there is enough friction. The metal disc then turns the backplate via the 2 pins, and that drives the gearbox.

The amount of friction is controlled by the spring and nut. The tighter that is...the more friction you get.

The idea is that shock loads will cause the assembly to slip, preventing damage to the drivetrain

• Like 2

Does the slipper plate have pegs for the disk to line up then? My slipper disk is off centred like its just hanging then clamped. 

Edit.

Nitro anwserd that. Thanks ill also check mine.

Ps. Did anyone link to the correct clutch bell bearings I could use two aswel. 

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1