• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What to buy?

Philthy

The boy is turning 15 soon and we are thinking of getting him a RC car.

My question is do we start him on electric or nitro?

He is "ok" when it comes to manuals, following proceedures, looking after his stuff etc but can be a little lazy sometimes (who wasnt right?)

We wont, at this point, be racing its just for mucking around with at home and on the oval. He likes the sound and speed of my nitro but he is also really good at flipping it and making it do cartwheels so if we are going to spend some decent cash on it id want it to be pretty robust

Looking for purchase suggestions and pros and cons.

Cheers

The Philth

Do you have a spending limit? As it's a little hard to recommend anything unless we have an idea of how much you want to spend.

Oh and type would help. As in road car, buggy, truggy, monster? :)

If its nitro you're after then I'd recommend the HPI Firestorm. It's solid as a rock and takes plenty of abuse. Parts are easy to get hold of if needed and the engine is a breeze to tune :thumbsup:

What RC (brand) do you have?  If you get the same you might be able to share parts.  

I believe electric a better option as an entry RC, he doesn't need nitro engine tuning knowledge.  

Nitro, he'll have his dad to teach him the tuning and engine maintenance. Ide get him the same as you have if its a current model with plenty of part support around. If not the hyper 7 never fails to please. 

Thanks for the replies.

Budget is going to be 250-350 - do you just order the stock standard, blow bits up and then order the better parts or trick it up from the start?

Home is a reasonable big rural property so noise is not an issue

i have a nitro tomohawk bx but am thinking something a little more offroad for jumps, airtime and cartwheels which i dont think my car is built for.

Thanks for the replies.

Budget is going to be 250-350 - do you just order the stock standard, blow bits up and then order the better parts or trick it up from the start?

Home is a reasonable big rural property so noise is not an issue

i have a nitro tomohawk bx but am thinking something a little more offroad for jumps, airtime and cartwheels which i dont think my car is built for.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?product_id=379689

If its nitro you're after then I'd recommend the HPI Firestorm. It's solid as a rock and takes plenty of abuse. Parts are easy to get hold of if needed and the engine is a breeze to tune :thumbsup:

Firestorm without a doubt. Great 1st RC

another vote for the firestorm here,ive just come back to the hobby after many many years(and wasnt into massively just had a few rc cars and just drove them in carparks).

ive just bought a firestorm flux this one here:http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-e-firestorm-flux-rtr-2.4ghz/rc-car-products/39664

and its brilliant takes huge amounts of abuse and keeps going and is pretty damn quick too! i bought the elcetric brushless version but there is also a nitro firestorm depending on what u decide to go with power wise.