• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Finally got my first drifter

Donna

Hi guys,

As you maybe aware ive been looking for a cheap rtr drifter so I can give drifting a go.

I've brought a hpi sprint sport 2 rtr. I've not managed to run it properly due to the rubbish weather.

I was wondering if there anything I should do or any upgrades that would be worth buying to make this into a good drifter? Or is this car ok as it is?

Thanks

Yes it's the vaughn mustang.

What's it like to drift, that's hard to answer as I've never driven a drifter before.

It's very rear end happy and easy to hold sideways. I find it easy to drift but hard to control the drift the way I want it to go.

I probably just need some practice. The rear wheels spin up real easy, it seems to have plenty of low down grunt. First impressions are good but I'm no expert

It came with a set of grip wheels that I haven't tried.

The most disappointing bit is the battery life. I'm getting less than ten mins probably close to 5 on a hard run.

Would lipos be a good option for this car if so should they last longer?

The battery they give you i presume is a basic 7.2v 1800mah Nimh which would indeed mean a very short run time

if you want to stick to NimHs you can get much bigger capacity ones that will last 40 odd minutes on a brushed setup

Lipos will be one heck of a difference in terms of performance, i cant remember if the ESC has a cut off capability for lipos, probably not.

I think I read some where that it is lipo 2s ready. I'll have to check it out.

I'll also have to ensure it fits as there isn't much room.

40mins sounds much better. I was well diaponited with the short run time.

Depends what you are after

lipos will also yield much much longer run times and if the ESC does have a cut off then it makes life a bit easier, if you have a lipo charger then you may as well already use lipos in the car, judging by the fact you have a Vorza, i would presume you are clued up on charging lipos already.

So for the money you either spend

Yeah lipos are not a problem charging wise. I'll check out if the esc can handle lipos.

I'll get searching on hobby king to see what I can find.

Thanks

Also beware you will probably have to solder new connections for the ESC and the Lipo`s when you get them.

So make sure you can do that 1st :)