• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Blitz Gearing

Morning all,

I run this brushless setup - http://www.matoys.com/catalog/images/products/15071_Carisma_Sports_ESC_And_Motor_Combo2.jpg

Gearing wise I run 15/47 and don't have a huge amount of top end. I can't fit anything large than a 15T pinion on the motor so do I need to change the whole gearing?

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

First question how did you get a 47t spur for the Blitz, and 2, how do you not have a top end! I am guessing you meant 77t not 47t. Why cant you fit a bigger pinion? Is it the shaft or the motor mount? The only way to up the top end, is too fit a bigger pinion, really. A smaller spur works, but the motor wont fit then. I run a 3800kv setup, and i use 2s. Gearing wise, i do 24/88 26/83 or 26/77 for the fastest runs. Hope i could help

Sorry for any mistakes i am on a phone :)

Edited by joeylcfc

Oh right, its a different pitch. You'll need to fit a smaller tooth spur. You could fit a smaller spur and a bigger pinion for a big increase in speed. But remember, higher top speed, slower acceleration. 

The best thing to do is buy a stock spur and pinion, and go from there. Your main problems is that you have only a 3000kv motor. Do you run 2s or 3s? With that setup you need to run 3s to get any speed.Even with a tiny spur and big pinion, you still won't get much of a top end with that motor. You could get a new motor, around the 4000 - 4500kv range if you only run on 2s.

Edited by joeylcfc

Yeah that really is the only way, unless you swap the spur to a stock 77t and the highest tooth pinion you can get that fits your motor. I would recommend just getting a new brushless system. A VERY good example: 

http://www.rcecho.com/HOBBYWING-EZRUN-3656-4000KV-RC-Brushless-Motor-WP-SC8-120A-ESC-Combo-ME178.html

Hope this helps.

I compared my Blitz to a friend's and I'm running a MOD1 setup. He has the Castle SCT and on 2S there wasn't much in it.

I will order the stock spur and fit a small 20T pinion and see how I get on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Check out www.gearchart.com Its really useful for working out gearing and speeds.

Assuming your Blitz has 110mm diameter wheels and 2.6:1 ratio (think this was what I worked my Blitz out at) your current setup of 3000Kv motor on 2s and 15/47 gives a top speed of 35 mph

The same motor with a stock 88/20 works out at 25 mph. IMO you'd do better with an 83 spur or going to 3s.

I run an Exceed Ultra 550 on 3s in my Blitz with 83/28 and its great, very fast and loves to wheely :)

• 4 years later...
19 hours ago, bertberr said:

22 is getting fairly big for a 77 spur, what setup you running in terms of motor/esc/battery?

Yeah, I did think that as the motor might get to hot quickly?

2s, 25c LIPOs, and the rest is stock (4000KV motor and stock ESC)

I managed to get a 20t pinion today though as I’m guessing that would be a better, smaller jump. 

If its the EMH-3S esc then its 80a constant, so you'll want a minimum of 4000mah packs if they're 25c to provide enough coverage for the esc, bigger the better really, particularly if you're playing with big pinnys as this will increase the load.  Yeah 18-22 is quite a jump in one go, but if you already have it (the 22) then why not give it a go, just make sure you stop regularly to monitor temps.

9 minutes ago, bertberr said:

If its the EMH-3S esc then its 80a constant, so you'll want a minimum of 4000mah packs if they're 25c to provide enough coverage for the esc, bigger the better really, particularly if you're playing with big pinnys as this will increase the load.  Yeah 18-22 is quite a jump in one go, but if you already have it (the 22) then why not give it a go, just make sure you stop regularly to monitor temps.

Cheers

It is the EMH - 3S, the LIPOs are Zippy 2s, 25c 6000mah so should be fine, I also run 4000mah too.

I’m looking at some Gens Ace 50c 5000mah but they are a tad expensive, those Zippys were £23 or so each and I’m really happy with them.

I went with a 20t pinion (got it earlier) so I’ll pop that in and see what’s what.

Edited by Peachy37
Missed something off