• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Etronix 80w balance charger help

loftuz

Hi guys. I'm needing some help now. I've just bought a rc plane to learn how to fly. It's a lipo powered one. The problem I have is I'm totally clueless when it comes to electrics. I've read storm guides but still a little baffled. Ask me about nitro and I can answer most questions. But electric is all new to me. I've bought a etronix 80w balance charger. The instructions are awful. Very poor English and does not make sense to me. I've bought 2 overlander 3s lipos 2200mah 11.1v Can anyone tell me how to charge them? I was hoping to just be able to plug it in and off it goes but it would appear it's not so simple. Do I need to balance charge them, do I need to do anything different for there first charge? Please help.

Edited by loftuz

Have a read through the Lipo Guide on the forum, should help you get a clearer picture of what they are all about.

For your packs, the correct charge rate to set the charger to is 2.2a, referred to as a rate of 1c.

You don't have to balance charge each time, however, it is good practice to do so (and as the balance lead and board are there in front of you, kinda makes sense ;) )

The lipos will have come at storage charge (60% of full), which is normal. Just put them onto charge, and use once ready.

After use, the packs should be put back into storage, your charger may have a storage mode built on. They are safe to stay at storage for 'some' time....a charged lipo should not be left for more than 24 hours really, as the chemicals in the cells can start to degrade - this doesn't render the pack unsafe, however, it will shorten the lifespan of the pack.

Does your ESC have an LVC (low voltage cut off)? The cells in a lipo should never be allowed to drop below 3.0v each...3.2v is better. Check your mannual before use! And check back if it hasn't!!

I'll shurrup now, and let you digest the above (and the lipo guide); I'm sure the urge to get flying is great, worth taking a few moments to make sure that, as far as lipos go, all works as it should ;)

Help me out here guys. Does this look about right?

First time ever with lipo battery's. Posted Image

Do I just uh it in now and off it goes? And do I need to use this little board? Think it's something to do with the balance charge?Posted Image

Your screen is set fine for that battery. Connect the balance plug to the board in the appropriate slot and then connect the battery and start the charge.

No, I have to press and hold the start/ enter button in mine, as I imagine you will. It will most likely sound an alarm when fully charged.

Right, think it's working. Only thing I'm worried about is the battery is 11.1v and the charger shows 12.1v is that right? I really ain't a clue. Just don't want to burn my house down. Posted Image

Right, think it's working. Only thing I'm worried about is the battery is 11.1v and the charger shows 11.97v is that right? I really ain't a clue. Just don't want to burn my house down.

It's fine. My 2s 7.4v batteries charge up to 8.4 v. I forget why, it's explained in the lipo guides I have read. That figure will get higher as the battery gets more charge. Expect the charge rate to fluctuate and drop towards the end too as the charger balances each cell and tops them up more slowly.

Not sure as I always manually select my charge rates and type of charge ie. lipo balance, storage etc. just in case the charger malfunctions!! If you manually choose your options too it helps you get familiar with all your chargers functions and menu. Have a good flight when it's charged..:)