• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Temp gun

Gashead

Ive got a fastrax temp gun and im not quite sure of the best way to use it. Do you actually place the probe end over the glow plug or do you put the rubber collar on and take a reading from it just sitting inside the heatsink

I don't have a temp gun myself, but from what I found out, it looks like the fastrax one you have to put into the cylinder head. 

Type 'fastrax temp gun' into google images, one of the pictures shows one inside the cooling head. I guess it's like a normal thermometer, but electric. 

This means there's a thermistor inside, which is a resistor that varies it's resistance in proportion to it's temperature. So if it is very hot, the resistance will be very high (or low, I can't remember), so the circuit will convert that to the digits on the screen. 

Like this

gallery2.jpg

Yep thats it I use the same piece of kit its spot on for out in the field, if you use it without the rubber cap it still works but you need to hover it in the same position as the photo.