• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Curing understeer?

Slugsie

Had a play with my Hyper 10TT yesterday, and it's a lot of fun, but suffers from huge understeer at almost any reasonable speed on both grass and tarmac. Unfortunately it doesn't transition into lift off oversteer so it's very difficult to get it to turn sharply unless you're going very slow. It's like this with both the stock tyres and a set of Proline Trenchers that I had on my Slash that have enough grip to make the Slash traction roll pretty easily.

What setup changes should I make to try and make the steering a bit more neutral with maybe a hint of lift off oversteer? This is purely for bashing BTW.

Try doubling (or more) the thickness of the oil in the front diff, should give you a bit more on power steering :)

I've currently got it set with 7000wt oil front and rear, so should I double the front, or halve the rear? I have some 2000wt to hand so it would be easier to halve the rear.

Hard springs on the front, mediums on the rear :)

soft spring in front. hard in back. 1 degree toe out.

Erm.... ???

BTW, I have no setup tools, so setting 1 degree toe out isn't going to happen.

Edited by Slugsie

Firm up the front and it will slide, thus understeer.

Soften it slightly, and it should grip / bite a bit more, thus permit you to steer better.

Firm up the rear and it will slide a bit more easily at the rear.

Then there's the transmission options ...... 

Al.

I run 5/7/2 diff oil on grass and dirt track.Id try dropping to this as its worked for us very well.Find this does make the rear steer also so if you throttle like it has an on/off switch you will end up facing backwards (a lot).on the mugon I use blue kyosho springs that wok for me.Also when I started setting up rc cars I used to set them up sooooo stiff lol and once I retried setup letting the buggy role and dive ect realy made the buggy more planted.Lee