• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My new toy FTX Viper :D

I've recently fried a traxxas e revo, lhs has suggested one of these, seemed heavy and reasonably well built....but not really heard good or bad things about ftx so was waiting for some reviews

So far i haven't had any problems apart from the spoiler breaking but thats only cosmetic :P its a lot quicker now I have the BL system in it even though it wasnt the one I wanted to fit. I'll see during the week if i have time I'll take it out some where, were i'm able to jump it and see how it gets on. 

So far so good anyway :thumbsup:

The more I look at this the more I think it's a bargain, could be a great 2nd car for when the savvy is a bit ott.

See for the price I think its a steal, handles the BL setup I put in it rather well aswell :P

Edited by Chris-RcDrift

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well folks, bit of an update on this thing,

Currently running this combo in it but cant remember what kv the motor is, its either 3400 or 3800, and with a 16T pinion if I remember correctly.

http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/powerplants/power-combo/pro-1-10-short-course-racing-motor-esc-combo-incl-ts-sc401v2-wp-sc-8.html

Also with these batteries, fits nicely so they do

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17247e batteries

over all I am rather happy with it, Ive broke both A arms and the rear spoiler, A arms broke from a rather slight tap off a kerb and the other one was a tap off a wall, so some bits seem a wee bit weak.

with the power combo i have in it i haven't managed full throttle with it as its stupid fast, gonna go to a big car park at the weekend and see what it does might also strap my old Blackberry to it and put the gps app on it to see what speed i can get outta it.

haven't tried jumping it yet as i fear alot more parts might start to break but if i get a chance I'll give it ago lol

anyway so far so good, for the meantime anyway :P

• 1 month later...

How're you getting on with it? If you boil the plastic bits it gives them a bit of flex so they don't snap so easy. I clipped a kerb with the back end of mine.That fuggered the rear cage :/ .I managed to fix it with a few bits of plastic & a bit of pipe.I went with the track star 120a ESC & 2300 kV motor. It's stupidly fast:) .it don't fly too well,but its good fun on loose dirt & the small jumps. I'm used to my brushless summmit, so I shouldn't be too hard on the viper.I'll hopefully take it out for a thrashing before the good weather sods off.I've gotta waterproof the receiver & servo ,as the esc's waterproof. I ripped the wing off nose diving it into a front flip.I think it looks better without it :) .

• 7 months later...

How's the Viper going? I've just picked up a brushless Sidewinder but haven't had chance to drive it yet. I took it out for all of 5 minutes before spinning into a car tyre and snapping the rear lower suspension mount and knuckle. I repaired it and took it out again, very excited to be able to finally use it... only to drive head on into a curb causing all sorts of damage! I will get to off road this thing eventually!! Lol

Alex, how are you finding the Sidewinder?

Edit - Just realised how old this thread is :D

Edited by everclear1984

Hi. I've got the brush less viper. The plastic's brittle :( . I've got used to jumping it. I've just got to not push it too hard :/ .I'll not run it when it's cold. The plastic seems to break easier in the cold. Otherwise it's not bad.