• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Losi 5ive Thread

DARSKi-RC

Nice one, I really like the one colour shell with those stickers on.

Care to share what other recommended upgrades you've purchased? Just curious if there is something I'm still missing :P

Ha! That's why I posted this thread...they don't look as nice after a few runs :D

Anyone into RC should own a 5IVE in my opinion. One of the best build quality RC's I've seen and I'm used to descent brand Heli's and Multirotors.

I got into cars to share some of the batteries and gear but 5th scale petrol has taken over everything lol

Anyway, I spent the last of this years RC budget and my Freeprawn loyalty points on the engine upgrade, losi pipe, Bart Cage Panels, Xtreme mud guards and Full Force screens (hate cleaning), a few braces (DDM and Fast Lane) , Jofer HD skid plate set and superbee kill switch. I think that was it.

Thanks for all your feedback - if anyone has any questions fire away, I'm just returning the favour this site has done for me. Oh and for those with 5ive's, keep your threads going so I can learn from you lot!

Cheers

I recently bought a 5ive to run alongside my baja and mcd's, i got it secondhand off here but it was nearly new and not bashed about but it had been converted to rear wheel drive only. I took it out the first time and it had no grip at all, i know it was a wet and muddy day but it spent more time doing donuts than my bajas do so it was back in the mancave and put it back to 4 wheel drive using the diff oil weights that oh how recommends.

Next time i took it out it had much better drive but only lasted about 15mins before i snapped the rear outside hinge pin so i'm still yet to see how much more bash proof they are compared to bajas.

I'm also thinking it needs better tyres in wet conditions so i may fit some hostiles.

Edited by tyntin

Yeah that is an unusual thing to break actually on a 5ive, I bent one quite badly, but never managed to snap it.

Also be very keen to hear what you think to my diff oil set-up and if it works well for you once you've got it out a bit more fella :) it worked excellently for me, after trying a good few combinations, good job they're so easy to strip :lol:

Ok mate I will get to diff and shock oils for sure. Hoping for some rare dryness this weekend to do a break-in and get a base line. I like to sort suspension first and I see the springs are very soft so I've wound them up near max to get level at the back and slightly higher front. I have some heavier than stock mods so I guess that's why its ass sagged. There isn't much left to play with so I might need stiffer springs. What springs are everyone running?

Ok mate I will get to diff and shock oils for sure. Hoping for some rare dryness this weekend to do a break-in and get a base line. I like to sort suspension first and I see the springs are very soft so I've wound them up near max to get level at the back and slightly higher front. I have some heavier than stock mods so I guess that's why its ass sagged. There isn't much left to play with so I might need stiffer springs. What springs are everyone running?

I run stiff oranges at the rear but the car still bottoms out at the back, its not the end of the world but just watch the pain on your rear arches as it gets rubbed away by the tyres.

OHO I went with 30/100/15 diff oils in my 5ive, I'm sure that's the one you recommended?

I have orange springs all round with max pre-load at the moment and the truck rarely bottoms out at all, will see how this setup holds up while bashing.

Stock blue front and Losi red rears, opted for thicker weight oil all round as the back end was very bouncy, still bottoms out under hard landings, running full force ally skid plates front and rear, which take the hits well.

Are you fitting both upper and lower rear windows? Found the lower one snaps where the lower P clips mount :(

45wt, tho I will point out mine is bl, so there is a slight weight difference in my favour (I think)

Ally skid plates front and rear, love 'em...very well made.

Triple A racing rear spoiler too, just finishes the back end off for me, and has saved the shell from damage on tumbles...

OHO I went with 30/100/15 diff oils in my 5ive, I'm sure that's the one you recommended?

I have orange springs all round with max pre-load at the moment and the truck rarely bottoms out at all, will see how this setup holds up while bashing.

Yeah around that, it worked well for me.

How do you like it?

I also ran reds on the rear for more stiffness and actually never noticed any bottoming out, it probably did, I just wasn't aware of it, so can't say for sure.

Edited by Oh How Original

Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like stiffer springs might be needed. I've fitted both rear windows and they do look like a good whack would break either of them.

I went with HD Joffer skid plates, they fit nicely and look HD to me, but there are loads of other brands to choose from.

The weathers looking good for the weekend everyone :D

I run joffer on mine there nice and quite a good price compared to some.

My chassi is well worn with bottoming out on landings. Went for 40k oil in the shocks which helped a little but stiffer spring will be needed. Even then i dont think it will stop it bottoming out competely.