• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Jim-Bob's Baja 5b Build

Jim-Bob

Local halfords, b&q or auto parts store will stock blue threadlock, usually comes in small tubes but last a long time though.

Cheers mate, I have got some somewhere but I can't remember what strength it is, will probably get a tube/bottle of loctite 243.

• 5 weeks later...

Been a while but things are finally starting to move again!

Just ordered a set of GC Motorsport front upper joints:

IMG_7998.JPG

(Not my picture, pinched from the advert :P)

Found standard length rear hub hexes (vertigo ones) at a good price too, so I'll get them and the clipless axles ordered, and the last few niggly bits are in my Abbots basket so the build should start on Wednesday (all parts should be here by then and the missus is out all evening :D)

Need to get a set of bondhus hex drivers ordered up from Silverback RC too...something else with a lifetime guarantee ;)

James

Edited by Jim-Bob

Nice, have you started assembling the front end yet or still waiting for stock/plastic parts?

Need the building to start mann!

Still waiting on parts and tools, but everything should be here by the end of the week! Just need to find some time to build it then, with work, extending the house and spending time with the missus (as they insist you must even even your sat there in silence on your phones?!) I don't have much free time, nearly ready to build my new shed so once that's up I can have somewhere to work and a store my baja (all my tools and bench are 10 miles away in a container which doesn't help matters :(

But I am itching to start, everything is ordered except for the ball drivers whilst I wait for one to come back in stock at silverback, so everything bar them will be here this week...in fact the postie excelled himself with baja goodies today...update coming soon ;)

Edited by Jim-Bob

Postie turned up with a fair few of my latest purchases today :D

Shock limiters:

E54ED3F3-0F09-45B3-A65F-AFE69F3D9372.jpg

HPI 85440 (center roll bar set) and DDM hex drivers:

E990A957-EF51-4A76-BB7F-C9B235727865.jpg

HPI baja multitool, 14mm balls, assorted spacers and nut holders, RPM front bumper:

ABA6A8E3-DCF9-47E3-9954-742B7F7AEF9A.jpg

GC Motorsport front upper arm ends:

5899752D-D52D-48EF-89A0-CBA68336C723.jpg

Ultimate RC and threadlock orders should arrive tomorrow, then it's just one last order to place with Silverback RC and I'm good to go!

There will be build pictures soon...I promise!

James

Edited by Jim-Bob

Finally got the build underway! But typically the one night I have a few hours spare to start spannerinv on the baja my 1:1 throws a wobbly so that took priority, in the end I only had about 40 minutes on the baja and I had to gather the parts and tools that I've managed to stash all round the house it turns out...but here's where it stands at the moment:

8B65143C-90A0-4597-9A80-5F964E4E2A03.jpg

Decided to go more OEM/stealth on the build do I'm going to sell my gunmetal TR shock tower brace and get a black one instead, so it's up for sale/swap, pic for reference, will put a thread up in the for sale section shortly ;)

CDD5B5F2-4D98-4B36-BE74-9F17AF072C19.jpg

Loctite arrived today so no holdups on that front, however no sign of my Ultimate RC order...anybody else experienced long delays from them? Order placed at 7am on Monday and I'm sure it said 1st class delivery but no sign of it yet?!

They are being sold dude, MMR are buying them. The current (to be previous owner) is a guy I bash with regularly

That will explain why paypal came up as MMR Largescale then...thought there was something odd going on!

I've sent them an email asking if they received the order, as I haven't had a confirmation email it turns out...but they've had the money :/

Spoke to Ultimate RC/MMR today, turns out one of the parts I ordered sold in the shop before they had chance to pick my order, hence the delay whilst they waited for more stock, but the courier should of collected it by now so my order should be here Monday :)

Well that was terrible customer service of them letting you know :P

I haven't heard a thing from them, no reply to my email yesterday, ring them up today and before I'd even finished saying I placed an order I Monday they knew who I was?!

Can't complain too much though as they seem the only UK stockists of the fullkill linkage and they have stock of both the vertigo front axles and rear hex hubs at good prices too!

Need a shock tower before I can go any further anyway so they've not delayed anything!

Edited by Jim-Bob

Ultimate RC order arrived today! Brilliant service from the lads at MMR, spoke to them at 12:30 yesterday and they said the courier was on the way, arrived this morning before 11:00 via Royal Fail!

Service was so good I've ordered up a black TR shock tower from them this morning so the build can carry on!

Will get pics later/tomorrow once I've retrieved from the van!

Double checked my hubs this morning...turns out I've got the extended ones not standard length ones :(

Let's hope it can be resolved by the weekend, really want to finish the front end now I've started! I'm away the until Saturday evening, so hopefully Monday I can grab an hour or so to get it finished, as long as the new hubs and shock tower are here!