• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

E-Revo v's Savage Flux

Scott34

hello guy's,

just got a E-Revo to go with my fleet, and man, does this thing fly. When i got my Savvy Flux it was a toss-up between the Flux and the E-Revo(Savage won :yes: ). And so far, after an hour playing with the Revo i have to say it's awsome. Still, compared to my Savage, it ain't quite in the same league. But then again, the Savage is massively upgraded so i didn't expect the Revo to compete,..... yet :xd: ..

just 1 thing i'm not too impressed with at the mo is the handling. After all, it was the fact that the Revo was a better handling truck than the Savage that was making me decide if to get the Revo to start with. But really, i have to do something with the handling of this 1. It don't like cornering,...yet.

I think it has a bit to do with the tyres it's wearing, http://www.modelsport.co.uk/pro-line-trencher-3.8-40-series-tyres-on-tech-5-blk-wheels/rc-car-products/38240 , i know that they''re good tyre's, i have the trencher x's on my Savage, but the difference is these 1's havn't been taped and they balloon a bit. :yucky: . Also, i think it could do with thicker shock oil and stronger springs perhaps. Also, am i right in thinking, 'if i put thicker diff oil's in the front and rear', that would help with the ballooning?

i'd like to know what you guy's run at please.   what diff oils? what shock oil?  what colour springs?  

i have a few spares already so i'll have a try out with different weights/sizes when a get a spare day, but i'd like to get a few more bit's ordered ready for my trial's :thumbsup: .

Anyway guy's, back to the topic :tease: , Savage v E-Revo,.........

.....my verdict,  Savage win's                

but with that, i still have to say that the ERevo is brilliant, mentally fast(only had 4s so far, i reckon 6s would be suicidal :xd: ), and a beauty of a truck, i'm well impressed :yes: .  It's coped with the first hour of bashing without any breaks or any signs of stress. Just a couple of minor bits to do and i think the Savage has some serious competition :xd: . Great truck

Scott

30k front and rear diff. (But that won't help the ballooning)

50wt shock oil all round, with the push rods on the lowest setting. Blue springs on the rear and silver on the front.

I did try blue springs up front with purple springs on the rear with the 50wt but was to bouncey.

It handles ok but still rolls if turning In to hard at high ish speeds.

I only run 4s in mine.

Edited by big turbo

Revo is a great platform and can be made to handle well. Don't expect it to be as tough as the Savvy, but you can make them fairly tough.

Shocks; just do what you'd do to any ride. Get the suspension to not bottom out from about a ten to twelve inch drop. I'm using the heavier springs that came with the car, then 50/70 oil front to rear. You'll need to experiment to find what you're after.

Diffs; I haven't done this yet, but my plan is to run something like 15,000 up front and 3000 or 5000 at the rear. I'm hoping this will reduce oversteer and make her faster through the turns because of it.

I've also fitted the centre Diff. This is a fantastic upgrade. You get off the line much faster and don't zig zag or donut. I use 100,000 wt oil in the centre Diff. It won't stop wheelies, but does tame them a lot.

RPM all round, truetrack to the rear.

Enjoy.

thanks guy's :thumbsup:

Tug, do you have a link for the centre diff conversion you have used please?

oh, and thats lucky for me, with the oils,  i have all the 1's above in stock. probably could do with a re-stock tho at some point

just 1 more thing aswell please,   what hexes would you recommend that fit?  not very keen on these spline 1's :yucky:

thank you

Scott

Good to hear you prefer the savage, I'm always eyeing up erevos & wondering....

they are good mate, very good. But hey, as you will know, the Savage is alot to compare against, awesome trucks :thumbsup: .  But then, so is the E-Revo(so far). Let's put it this way,,,, 'i'm pleased to own both'  :xd:

Scott

thanks guy's :thumbsup:

Tug, do you have a link for the centre diff conversion you have used please?

oh, and thats lucky for me, with the oils, i have all the 1's above in stock. probably could do with a re-stock tho at some point

just 1 more thing aswell please, what hexes would you recommend that fit? not very keen on these spline 1's :yucky:

thank you

Scott

It's a Traxxas direct fit item, can't remember the number, but it slots straight in. You keep the stock gearbox, but remove the spool and replace with the diff.

It's a Traxxas direct fit item, can't remember the number, but it slots straight in. You keep the stock gearbox, but remove the spool and replace with the diff.

arr, that sounds easy enough. i thought it might be a little bit more like the Savagecentre conversion, with different brands doing different things perhaps. but if it's only the Traxxas 1 out there, and it works, then that'll do for me :yes:

I took it out again when i got home today. i've swapped wheels with the Savage to give the Revo a bit more width hoping that would improve the handling, it has blue springs in the rear and silver up front and all the oil's are done, and fitted a 14t pinion,,...... now, time to rip :yes: .

got to the park, turned it on, got the a series of beeps from the ESC but no action,,, aarrrrrggh. i couldn't figure it out but luckily my old faithful was with me, 'Savage',lol. that was running perfect with it's new wheels :thumbsup:

well, when i got home, i had a poke around to see what's up with the Revo, and fixed it straight away,..... my son had flicked the switch on the transmitter, 50/50 or 70/30 switch and it wasn't binding. oh dear,lol.   all is not lost tho, it was my cheapest fix i've ever had to do :xd:

I'll give it another try tomorrow :hahadance:

Why a 14 tooth? Sounds tiny, I run 23/68 for 4s.

it was  18t / 54t , and i wanted a bit less ooomph to start off with. and at that gearing, it was crazy.  so i had some pinion gears spare, i picked out a couple and decided to go with a 16t.   when i put it together and tidied up, i see the 16t left on the table and unknowingly put the 14t in.  i havn't had a chance to try it at this new gearing yet so i'll leave it likeit is at the mo and then try the 16t if i can handle a bit more oooomph, lol

Scott

it was 18t / 54t , and i wanted a bit less ooomph to start off with. and at that gearing, it was crazy. so i had some pinion gears spare, i picked out a couple and decided to go with a 16t. when i put it together and tidied up, i see the 16t left on the table and unknowingly put the 14t in. i havn't had a chance to try it at this new gearing yet so i'll leave it likeit is at the mo and then try the 16t if i can handle a bit more oooomph, lol

Scott

That explains it. I didn't realise you were using a 54 tooth pinion.

The 14 is definitely a bit low. The 16 will be better suited.

yeah mate, i'm thinking the same. i know i said i havn't tested it yet, well, i have, a little bit anyway,.......... in the kitchen,lol.    i think i will go with the 16t in the end Tug, i'll let my boy have a little go before i change it over tho :thumbsup:

Scott

well, i've just tried it with  14t/54t and it's still insane. i can hardly keep the front wheels down.  how should i solve that?  bigger spur gear perhaps?  thicker diff oil's?  

i'd like some of your inputs if you would please guy's :thumbsup:

and the handling to it is quite poor. I wasn't expecting it to be great, being a truck, but i was expecting it to be as good, if not better than my savage. Yep, it is much quicker than my Savage but it don't handle no-where near as good. Even with the Revo with the wide wheels on from the Savage, it still don't handle that well.

Is there any up-grade i can get to help with the handling guy's?    I already have the sway bar on order :yes:

is there any way to extend the wheel width?

thanks 

Scott

Edited by Scott34

it turns over at any kind of cornering mate, even steady(ish). i really have to take it easy to go around a bend. it's alot worse than i ever can remember the Savage was.  i have silver springs up front and blue to the rear.  

what gearing would you use Tug? and what gearing would you use with the centre diff fitted please mate?

oh, i also have trencher X's on 

Scott

shock oil 50 all round,http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-pro-silicone-shock-oil-50wt-60cc-/rc-car-products/364746 ,    the push rods are set in the middle hole and the tyre's are on http://www.modelsport.co.uk/pro-line-desperado-3.8-traxxas-style-bead-black-17mm-wheels-1-2-offset/rc-car-products/366671 .  

what gearing would you suggest to help keep the front down a bit Tug? 

I have the rear rods in the outer hole.

My oil weights are 50/70. I used the heavier springs that came in the box, can't remember the colours, it's in the loft at the moment.

With the Trenchers I'd aim around 20/62-68. Then watch your temps.

i have the other trenchers Tug, http://www.modelsport.co.uk/pro-line-trencher-3.8-40-series-tyres-on-tech-5-blk-wheels/rc-car-products/38240 , but the handling was worse with those on.

yeah, i'm not looking for more speed Tug, i'm trying to make it so it's not wheelie'ing as soon as i touch the throttle

Tug, is there any up-grades that you know about that widen the truck?  anything like 'axle extender's' or a similar product

Scott

hmmm, i thought the Revo had the same electric's as the Savage?   I tried adjusting the 'Punch Control' using the programme card (you can do this with the Savage's ESC) but there isn't a 'Punch Control' option there.  Or am i missing something? Can anyone let me know if it can be done for the Revo please?