• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rossyra's Bajas

Rossyra

As you wish  :P IMO plastic covers on these engines are stupid, they just limit the amount of air that passes through the fins.

Have you done some temperature testing of this? What were the results like?

I'm genuinely interested to hear what sort of 

Edited by Rossyra

you realise what the fins on the flywheel do right?

Yes... but the heat coming off the fins on the engine has nowhere to go upwards as it's blocked by a thick layer of plastic.

Have you done some temperature testing of this? What were the results like?

I did, I trimmed the cover on my 26cc till about half way where the plug is and the engine ran about 5-6 degrees cooler. In the 5ive a lot of air passes through the front windshield and I've seen a few people trimming their engine covers on them.

Yes... but the heat coming off the fins on the engine has nowhere to go upwards as it's blocked by a thick layer of plastic.

The airflow is being directed laterally though, it will never go up, because the fins lie horizontally.

I did, I trimmed the cover on my 26cc till about half way where the plug is and the engine ran about 5-6 degrees cooler. In the 5ive a lot of air passes through the front windshield and I've seen a few people trimming their engine covers on them.

What were your before and after temps? 5-6 degrees is a bit meaningless out of context.

• Like 1

i took my cover of completlety and iam sure nino doesnt run one either the only thing i can see with cutting it in half is i suppose it keeps the grass of the fins 

I'm honestly not convinced that's a good idea Stu, The cover is ducting the airflow from the flywheel. I thought the same when Nino said it about his. Although having never tested it, I couldn't say one way or the other.

I'm honestly not convinced that's a good idea Stu, The cover is ducting the airflow from the flywheel. I thought the same when Nino said it about his. Although having never tested it, I couldn't say one way or the other.

iam going to give it a try and take a temp reading after a run and then put it back on and see what happens temp wise if its better without it all leave it off or vice versa 

iam going to give it a try and take a temp reading after a run and then put it back on and see what happens temp wise if its better without it all leave it off or vice versa 

Cool beans, I'm interested to hear the results :thumbsup: . What it will be good for is stopping the head packing up with grass, but I already have a crankcase outerwear on mine for that

Shell cleaned up, and final tweaks of the throttle link and she's good to go. That's pretty much it, I'll update the thread if (when) I get a Kraken.  :naughty:

CFY9Svq.jpg

yGfrVpb.jpg

SpQWOBe.jpg

pq8SHeJ.jpg

Edited by Rossyra
  • Like 1

Shell cleaned up, and final tweaks of the throttle link and she's good to go. That's pretty much it, I'll update the thread if (when) I get a Kraken.  :naughty:

pq8SHeJ.jpg

looking really good shame to get it dirty and your not the only one who had there baja upside down today i done it twice trying to jump it and then mucking about 

• Like 1

looking good pal. a good build. I like the sc bumper, might go that route myself.

irc parts are pretty strong but well priced, I like their shocks , seem expensive but the same price as stock hpi shocks.

regarding integy I got some rear hubs on my t when I brought it, thought I would onky replace them once broken but they have held up pretty well.

Edited by marder 78
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a wee update. I've made a little mod to the rear shock tower to better support the shocks, simply by doubling up the rear tower support. This is a lot cheaper than buying say a TR rear brace, especially for me since I had all of these parts spare. I used old shock ball-ends as spacers just because I had them on hand and they are the perfect 12mm width needed of course. After that you need to change out the 6 screws for lengths at least 16mm longer than stock to accommodate the spacer ad the extra support. If you have bent your top end shock screws like I have, this should hopefully prevent it happening.

Si80bSl.jpg

EZ1WwAy.jpg

Parts needed if you want to do this yourself:

Extra tower support: http://abbotsrc.co.uk/HPI-87551-REAR-SHOCK-MOUNT-PLATE-A-GUNMETAL--P1494931.aspx

4x Ball ends (or you can use anything that will act as a 12mm spacer/bushing if you don't have these): http://abbotsrc.co.uk/HPI-86417-BALL-10x12mm-1pc-P1494932.aspx

M4x34 or longer (x2): top of shocks

M4x30 (x2): top of brace

M4x46-50 (x2): bottom of brace.

You may need to add washers like I did to find the right fit, so that the screws don't go too deep into the towers.

One other minor change I made was to add the stiff blue springs as the rear is beginning to get a bit on the heavy side.

xdDjckQ.jpg

Edited by Rossyra