• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Back in the Baja fraternity! (The Beast)

Oh How Original

Just reading through this thread for the first time, i had the same problem with km 2.0ex when i first bought it few weeks ago, the mesh was very very tight indeed and this was brand new out the box, i found that pulling my baja along the floor it was hard to do so and then half way around the spur it would pretty much lock up the wheels, not good to say the least, i found if you remove the spur gear cover and watch the pinion and spur along with the spur gear holder and turn the wheels, on mine the spur gear and holder was a bad fit on the drive shaft and was ever so slightly twisting the spur gear causing the mesh to lock up, i solved the problem by fitting genuine hpi rubber spur gear thingies, area rc titanium spur gear holder, hostile gears, once i first fitted these bits the mesh was still a tad to tight but after one run everything is now nice and free and smooth.

Well I was planning on getting a TR tranny plate, one piece, spur gear holder and a Vertigo layshaft carrier, that way it can't possibly be out of mesh lol.

Or at least that's the idea... :whistling:

Which parts did you replace exactly, any chance of links?

Ive no idea how to do links but everything was bought from freeprawn, i replaced the spur gear and pinion with the hostile version, 55/19t for a little more top end, i replaced the spur gear holder with a area rc titanium one, this part clicks into the spur gear with the 4 jelly bean shaped rubber bushes, i replaced those bushes with genuine hpi ones as there tougher than km variants so dont let the spur gear and holder flex as much, i am talking tiny tollerances here but it worked on mine a treat.

Ive no idea how to do links but everything was bought from freeprawn, i replaced the spur gear and pinion with the hostile version, 55/19t for a little more top end, i replaced the spur gear holder with a area rc titanium one, this part clicks into the spur gear with the 4 jelly bean shaped rubber bushes, i replaced those bushes with genuine hpi ones as there tougher than km variants so dont let the spur gear and holder flex as much, i am talking tiny tollerances here but it worked on mine a treat.

Sorry it was the bushes I was a bit confused about, I know which ones you mean now though.

I'll take a look on Freeprawn for the bits, also about to give Enzo a ring from Facebook, he's a Baja breaker so may have some upgrade bits I need a bit cheaper than brand new prices.

Search function on Freeprawn is as rubbish as ever lol, typed in "Area RC" and it came up with the Losi DBXL! :lol:

Edited by Oh How Original

Been toying with the idea from day one to run the Badger without a wing, much prefer the look if I'm honest, especially with quite a lot of black such as this Badger has, my Dremel was sat doing nothing and I was equally at a loose end so the mount came off the cage.

Not an expensive bit to replace if I decide I don't like it after a proper run, so far I prefer it though...

IMG_3143_zpsf7eb9b66.jpg

Will post a better picture once the shell is back on as well...

In regards to the bell, that really looks like it was well used before you used it OR/AND the weld looks quite weak so I would say it is a mixture of movement from your plastic clutch housing and a already weakened bell.

I misread your status as pinion as that's what broke before wasn't it? You need to use the alloy carrier no matter what :)

In regards to the bell, that really looks like it was well used before you used it OR/AND the weld looks quite weak so I would say it is a mixture of movement from your plastic clutch housing and a already weakened bell.

I misread your status as pinion as that's what broke before wasn't it? You need to use the alloy carrier no matter what :)

I originally thought it was the pinion but after taking it off it's actually the bell.

As I said on the status dude, I can't fit the alloy one as the mesh becomes too tight to even put the spur on lol!

want to save time and just sell it now or you want to keep trying for afew more weeks? :ph34r:

really though if an alloy carrier makes it impossible to mesh right then common sense says something isn't right and it needs sorting, clearly you plan of using the plastic one isn't a long term solution.

something clearly isn't lining up right or you are missing something, take a look at the layshaft, make sure it isn't bent, the gear box is straight, the engine is straight.

failing that send it to someone and let them have alook at it, perhaps a fresh set of eyes looking at it is what you need.

• Like 1

No dude, just send it back as defective. The machining may be out of that, causing a slight rotation and stress on the bell, if it does it with a replacement you know its not the carrier. You should do that first talk to RC modelz.

My beater has a alloy holder from them and its perfect so you may have been unlucky.

want to save time and just sell it now or you want to keep trying for afew more weeks? :ph34r:

really though if an alloy carrier makes it impossible to mesh right then common sense says something isn't right and it needs sorting, clearly you plan of using the plastic one isn't a long term solution.

something clearly isn't lining up right or you are missing something, take a look at the layshaft, make sure it isn't bent, the gear box is straight, the engine is straight.

failing that send it to someone and let them have alook at it, perhaps a fresh set of eyes looking at it is what you need.

Everything is right as far as I know, the engine is straight, as is the clutch.

Layshaft is definitely straight.

It's the pinion side of it for certain, just can't figure out exactly which bit.