• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick blackout xb

super sharp shooter

I have a Blackout XB and a Baja 5bss (which I built myself) and I had a Blackout MT2 before the 'XB. The XB and the MT2 are very similar but the XB has thinner wheels and only a single steering servo.

After I got the 'XB I stripped the MT2 for spares, and this gave me an opportunity to examine the construction and the key internal parts, particularly the transmission. Overall from this examination, and I think they are nicely made and well worth the money.

As everyone knows, the Maverick XB is similar to the Redcat XB. But from my experience of trying to fit a tuned pipe, it appears to me that there are some significant differences between the two and it would be interesting to compare them side by side.  I discovered it when I tried unsuccessfully to fit the CPI tuned pipe designed for the Redcat  XB to mine. Not only is the fuel tank the other way around (no problem ... relatively easy to swap), but the Redcat fuel tank is less wide, and the chassis at the left rear corner is different, allowing the coil on the CPI pipe to fit between the side of the tank and the chassis flange, In the end I fitted the Dominator Side Pipe for the Redcat MT/TT which DDM state does not fit the Redcat XB. Once I had reversed the fuel tank, It fitted my Maverick XB OK with only slight filing of one of the chassis braces and some trimming of the body.

In terms of driving experience, the XB is quite like the Baja although, as you would expect being 4 wheel drive, no where near as 'tail happy', (in contrast my MT2 tended to be a bit ponderous on corners),  and I like them both very much indeed.

I hope this is of interest and possibly helps with your decision.

Harvey

• Like 1