• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

gear box/diff

mattytheking1

the other day i was out bashing with my baja 5b, and it would not drive when i put some power down.

i thought it was the clutch or something in them lines.

so i got home, dint touch it cause i could not be bothered taking it all apart, but today i did.

so i have found my diff just destroyed so, i am here wanting to know what i can do, 

i could order a full gear box with alloy case and a heavy duty diff from integy for

Not used the integy so I can't comment on that but I am sure you will get a reaction from some who has never used it before soon enough.

What I do know is that these diffs are as good as the genuine ones and are cheaper so I would say go for this:-

http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/product/Complete-Alloy-Diff-Gear-Set.php

• Like 1

the other day i was out bashing with my baja 5b, and it would not drive when i put some power down.

i thought it was the clutch or something in them lines.

so i got home, dint touch it cause i could not be bothered taking it all apart, but today i did.

so i have found my diff just destroyed so, i am here wanting to know what i can do, 

i could order a full gear box with alloy case and a heavy duty diff from integy for

Not used the integy so I can't comment on that but I am sure you will get a reaction from some who has never used it before soon enough.

What I do know is that these diffs are as good as the genuine ones and are cheaper so I would say go for this:-

http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/product/Complete-Alloy-Diff-Gear-Set.php

Well good on you that you have never used integy products.

What ever you do stay clear of integy products.

cheers for getting back to me, 

yeah i was just thinking about just getting the diff but i was going to get a alloy case for it sometime down the line and this has gave me the chance to just get a hole new gear box, the link i added to this post on here of the diff would that one be awright? 

How did you get on with your integy diff then?

Got the diff and the diff case from them, all I can say is I have an entirely new rear end for the Baja after it exploded with case and my 2 speed.

I have used them as my initial Baja was a ShengQi and looking for upgrades for it went with integy so I do know what am talking about!

no need to argue folks, 

bad parts are bad parts, some might work awright for other and some might not for the other half, if that makes any sense lol 

cheers for getting back to me, 

yeah i was just thinking about just getting the diff but i was going to get a alloy case for it sometime down the line and this has gave me the chance to just get a hole new gear box, the link i added to this post on here of the diff would that one be awright? 

There are guys on ebay that sell the diff taken out of the SS kit search for a seller called jennyrc

I got a used near complete ss gearbox with alloy diff and gears ect!

Get a tr quick diff if you want alloy and have money to burn ;-)

Link to my for sale thread

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/182877-hpi-baja-parts-for-sale-or-swap-for-electric-rc/

Edited by Hawkpalmer

I've run both HPI and KM diffs ... both with alloy cases. I've had the HPI a lot longer, and it's been rock solid. The KM one seems OK so far, but if it comes ready built...open it up....bin the oil.;..and replace with some good quality silicon diff oil. Whatever they put in there....it didn't look nice at all!

That may well be the reason your Rovan diff crumbled. Poor quality diff oil and not enough of it.

In your position, I would buy a genuine HPI diff from a US chop shop, as I have hammered mine for close on 2 years and it's as good today as it ever was despite being repeatedly donutted until the foams exploded on more then one occasion.

I haven't used any largescale Integy stuff, but most of the stuff I have come across elsewhere has been horrid quality. The Savage rear tie-rod deletes are the only bits I have actually found to be good. I wouldn't use their diff though....as I want a diff I can fit and forget

• Like 1

I've run both HPI and KM diffs ... both with alloy cases. I've had the HPI a lot longer, and it's been rock solid. The KM one seems OK so far, but if it comes ready built...open it up....bin the oil.;..and replace with some good quality silicon diff oil. Whatever they put in there....it didn't look nice at all!

That may well be the reason your Rovan diff crumbled. Poor quality diff oil and not enough of it.

In your position, I would buy a genuine HPI diff from a US chop shop, as I have hammered mine for close on 2 years and it's as good today as it ever was despite being repeatedly donutted until the foams exploded on more then one occasion.

I haven't used any largescale Integy stuff, but most of the stuff I have come across elsewhere has been horrid quality. The Savage rear tie-rod deletes are the only bits I have actually found to be good. I wouldn't use their diff though....as I want a diff I can fit and forget

nice idea mate, im deffo going to buy a turtle racing case and will look into the hpi stock  diff.

any good ideas on the diff oils? likes of thickness, think they go by cc or something? 

I went with 10K silicon diff oil. The fill level is ( if I remember right ) is basically filling half the case up with the gears in...then dropping the top on. The HPI manual has the full pics/instructions. Download the SS manual from the HPI website...it's a seriously useful thing to have about the place.

One thing to check though....if you are mixing gearboxes...I am sure I read somewhere that the HPI gears/gearbox were slightly different to the clone one..so check that out before buying a gearbox case like the TR one, as you may find you need to get a different gear set to go with it.

I went with 10K silicon diff oil. The fill level is ( if I remember right ) is basically filling half the case up with the gears in...then dropping the top on. The HPI manual has the full pics/instructions. Download the SS manual from the HPI website...it's a seriously useful thing to have about the place.

One thing to check though....if you are mixing gearboxes...I am sure I read somewhere that the HPI gears/gearbox were slightly different to the clone one..so check that out before buying a gearbox case like the TR one, as you may find you need to get a different gear set to go with it.

cheers bud, i will keep all this in mind, and make sure i do it right lol, 

before this diff died on me, i did take it out before i bashed it and stuck some more oil into it, and when i cracked it open, there was not much in, so i did fill one of the cups with gears in it, would that of been what caused it to snap away at the bolt tabs?