• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rally project.....with a bit of a difference. **UPDATED 25-8-13, new pics and vid!**

DreXeL

I've had the urge to do a rally project for a while but I kept putting it on the back burner due to my other RCs taking priority. Anyway, I was looking for a new shell for my Losi Mini Short Course, and it transpires that the wheelbase and width are pretty much identical to Tamiya M-chassis dimensions. So that got me thinking, the M-SC chassis would make an ideal rally car. It's huge fun to drive being RWD, it's tough, and it jumps really nicely thanks to loads of supension travel and decent ground clearance.

So with that I had to decide on a body shell. There aren't many shells of RWD cars to fit the M-chassis, but thankfully ABC Hobby do some that are just the ticket. I settled on the Datsun 1200/Sunnny Coupe:

231.jpg

I have ordered these wheels:

abchobby_21950_001.jpg

And some Tamiya mini rally block tyres.

Here is the chassis as it is now:

IMG_201308194739_zps5be9fd59.jpg

I have already made some decent upgrades, including alloy threaded shocks, alloy uprights/hubs all round and alloy front lower plate. It just needs a good clean up really, then I need to find a way to fit appropriate wheel hexes to take the mini wheels.

Here's the pic of real Sunny used for rallying that inspired me to go for the Sunny shell:

Sunny3_zpsf569f92d.jpg

The rally blocks arrived today, hopefully the wheels and shell won't be far behind :)

Edited by DreXeL

should look nice once it's been completed are you going to mod the shell so it looks identical to the original rally car or keep it as it is?

I'll be trimming it so it doesn't have the deep front air dam and sideskirts, so yeah it should resemble the shape of the real one pretty well :)

It's not hex at all, the front has bearings in the wheels, and at the rear the pin picks up directly on the wheel. At the rear it should be easy, I should be able to drop a standard 12mm hex straight on, but the front may prove a little more tricky.

OK, update time. The shell and wheels arrived today, so as soon as I got home from work I wasted no time in cutting the shell and mock-fitting the wheels:

DSCF2086_zps23e27b77.jpg

DSCF2085_zps3d318a3b.jpg

DSCF2087_zps90e8efa2.jpg

DSCF2088_zps01109107.jpg

DSCF2089_zpsada9e123.jpg

I've got to say I'm REALLY pleased with the way it fits and the stance. Some minor fine tweaking to do to the ride height, but over all I'm really happy with the way it sits.

I've ordered some mini 8eight hexes, these will allow me to fit the rear wheels directly on, but I'll have to get a little 'creative' with the fronts. Only other real stumbling block will be the rear body posts. The fronts are perfect as they are, but I'll have to extend the rears as they are nowhere near the shell at the moment.

Edited by DreXeL

Thanks for the link, he has done what I'm doing with the rears, using mini 8ight hex adapters, but he's left the fronts stock. I've got a couple of ideas though, I'll get 'em on somehow :D

EDIT, I just read the rest of the thread and he did indeed fit a hex to the front. It seems that he had the hex drilled to accept a bearing, which is actually what I had in mind to do.

Edited by DreXeL

Thanks guys :good:

Ordered some paints today, and an LED kit, the shell comes with light buckets so should look pretty good :)

Hopefully the hexes will arrive today so I can get the wheels mounted up properly.

Not much to update, but the wheel hexes came today and I now have the wheels all mounted up and working a treat. The rears were easy as expected, up front was a bit more hassle. I ended up drilling a hole in the hex deep enough to sit the bearing in, then opened the centre holes of the wheels slightly and put another bearing on the outside to hold the wheels on. Works well :)

No pics as it looks the same as yesterday lol.

I'll be fitting the grille detail that came with the shell, and the light buckets. I won't be fitting the bumpers to keep it close to the real one, I may get some mirrors though.

Little trick for the light buckets mate if you go to wilkinson and chrome effect paint and blackout the rear of the light bucket then spray the chrome over the front you get a spot on finish

Thanks for the tip :good:

I've started the paint, will update later today with pics :)

• Like 1

Paint is now done, and most of the decals fitted, just need to get some numbers. I went for the traditional Datsun red, blue and white colouring. Considering my painting skills basically suck, I'm pretty damn pleased with the way it's come out:

DSCF2006_zps6cf989b5.jpg

DSCF2009_zps221ac621.jpg

DSCF2007_zpseffc7f8c.jpg

DSCF2010_zpsa4e7fd9f.jpg

LED kit arrived too, not the best pics, but you get the idea:

DSCF2015_zpscd8915bf.jpg

DSCF2012_zps2ac6daa1.jpg

Still waiting on some body clips that I ordered ages ago so I can't run it yet, when I do run it I'll take some action pics and a bit of a vid :)

Next on the agenda will be some mirrors and wipers, and I'd like to fit an interior and roll cage, but I'll run it as it is for now, can't wait to give it a blast :D

Edited by DreXeL
  • Like 1

Thanks mate, that was the interior and cage I had my eye on actually, I'm sure I'd be able to trim it down.

Gave it a bit of a blast in the garden today, and it is epic fun. The smaller wheels and better grip of the rally blocks makes it much more controllable than when it was a SCT. Drifts are great fun, and nicely controllable. I need some thicker shock oil though, as it's a bit 'bouncy', particularly at the rear. Over all though I'm very happy with the way it handles, it's a hoot :D

Here are some action shots, and a quick vid:

DSCF2029_zps69b1ef41.jpg

DSCF2028_zpsebe56e2c.jpg

DSCF2022_zpsdc531c88.jpg

DSCF2016_zps55349d9b.jpg

DSCF2018_zps5faade00.jpg

DSCF2019_zpsfa127405.jpg

Edited by DreXeL