• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hpi blitz thread

Thanks for the heads up. It was always ok on the Firestorm but I'll start checking it after a wet bash.

Unfortunately the stock flux motor on the blitz isn't waterproof at all. The slightest puddle or drizzle of rain and water droplets will get in to the motor through the cables and end caps

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

After wasting hours on a nitro savage I've decided to sell it...I thought id direct some love on the Blitz

Took some time on the blitz replacing the diff out drives. I didn't notice I need stub axles too as they're worn too, not too bad.

Worn diffsd8f9276cdb83486242ba7765fdd10529.jpg

409d10d06567ea94af20943567a0071c.jpg3ebfd14e6483b489ccb3555abe24b369.jpg

Edited by Derka

After wasting hours on a nitro savage I've decided to sell it...I thought id direct some love on the Blitz

Took some time on the blitz replacing the diff out drives. I didn't notice I need stub axles too as they're worn too, not too bad.

Worn diffsd8f9276cdb83486242ba7765fdd10529.jpg

409d10d06567ea94af20943567a0071c.jpg3ebfd14e6483b489ccb3555abe24b369.jpg

Did you heat treat them. Wasting your time otherwise they wear out so quickly. Mine last much much longer when I heat treat the outdrives

I didn't heat them, but I have read about people doing it and been sucessful.

I've adjusted my ESC from the stock punch setting of 7/10 to 5/10 and more recently I have reduced it to 1/10.

My thoughts are maybe lower initially punch may help prolong them. If not, I shall heat treat them and see how much of an improvement it is.

• Like 1

As long as you have decent quality battery with a good discharge (C) rating it should be fine. Look out for signs of trembling from the car at full chat as that would indicate the battery is not upto the job.

As I understand, without checking(!) as long as your battery amps are higher than your max esc rating you should be ok.

You can work out how many amps your battery can supply by using this forumula - (C-Rating) X  (AH) = Maximum Constant Amp Draw

Example my Gens Ace 5000mah 2s Lipo would be 50 x 5.0 = 250 Amps

Edited by Derka
Font colour
  • Like 1

I've just finished swapping the rear suspension arms over to extend the wheebase and also moved the shocks on the rear to the outer hole on the suspension arm, hoping to try and tweak the suspension to get more weight over the rear.

Then I need to sort out its crap servo/steering setup as at any speed I have hardly any steering. I guess I could complety lock down the servo saver but meh, thats more screws and its not good now its dark with lights on, too much shadows!

I didn't heat them, but I have read about people doing it and been sucessful.

I've adjusted my ESC from the stock punch setting of 7/10 to 5/10 and more recently I have reduced it to 1/10.

My thoughts are maybe lower initially punch may help prolong them. If not, I shall heat treat them and see how much of an improvement it is.

I lowered punch to 3 and tighten up the slipper clutch a but still get fast acceleration that way but the driveetrain should be under less stress

I've just finished swapping the rear suspension arms over to extend the wheebase and also moved the shocks on the rear to the outer hole on the suspension arm, hoping to try and tweak the suspension to get more weight over the rear.

Then I need to sort out its crap servo/steering setup as at any speed I have hardly any steering. I guess I could complety lock down the servo saver but meh, thats more screws and its not good now its dark with lights on, too much shadows!

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/alturn-usa-high-performance-race-servo-high-torque-/rc-car-products/359784

Good servo

Is anyone running Proline Trencher rears with different fronts? I'm thinking about picking up a set but I can't afford to replace both front and rear together right now and I've heard the Trenchers are huge. Will they look/handle odd?

Not trenchers but im running stock hot bodies fronts and Dynamite Speedtreads Shootout rears and Dynamite Speedtreads Robber for on-road

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamite-traxxas-slash-4x4-front-and-rear-mounted-speedtreads-shootout-sct-tyres-2-/rc-car-products/376735

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamite-speedtreads-robber-sc-tires-mounted-slash-rear-slash-4x4-front-rear-ecx-2-/rc-car-products/376592

Handling seems OK, the poor servo/saver/plastic steering bits probably hinder more than tyre choice

People quite like nanda blocks as a Badlands copy. The trenchers look similar to the Dynamite shootouts too ;)

I tried nanda blocks on my Firestorm and really liked them for hardpack. However, being taller the Trenchers seem more suited to grass which is where I mainly bash at the moment, with the occasional hardpack session thrown in for good measure :) I totally agree that the steering rack needs sorting before bothering with the front, the Firestorm setup seemed much better, there's just too much flex in the plastic parts on the Blitz.

Yup, its a weak point but unless I win the lotto im not throwing the best part of £60+ on HPI's aluminium rack. STRC do a similar one but its not as good by all accounts, but better than stock.

Im going to check the servo saver tightness as its a good few months since I last had the front end apart. Some run with the saver as tight as possible and then glue it, but then the servo would be at risk... but saying that im sure the plastic links would flex. Have a read of some threads on the american sites.

As you say, the Firestorm has a  lot better steering

Edited by Derka

Think ill have a look at mine tomorrow then. Its frustrating as I initially thought it was a weak steering servo. At any half decent speed or bumpy surface you dont get full turning unless you slow down.

Have you got the stock steering knuckles installed? Apparently the in-line instead of the stock trailing help a little too depending on your driving style

Edited by Derka