• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tarantulas

cybermenace

Hi people ,

Just a long shot here and hoping for some advice I am looking to get my first tarantula,

I am total fascinated by spiders I think there great ,

So I need some advice on which one is good for a starter and suggestions on best kreeper cages .

Even what do you keep yours in feeding, temps and everything else .

Cheers,

Bil.

Not personally a reptile expert but have uncles that own reptile shops and are into the reptile thing :-/

One of my uncles used to have a personal made tank that went all the way around his loving room and it was like a mini rain forest :-) had all sorts in there from fish to frogs to lizards :-) the bottom had parts that looked like ponds with fish in and part that hada part that looked like real rain in a rainforest. Never seen anything like that in my life :-0 that was like 25 years ago lol will ask him if he got any pics and ill stick em up ;-)

And they have also told my lad who is into reptiles to get a chile rosa for a first spider but as I said I'm no expert on reptiles :-( now if you wanted marine fish or corals then I can help :-)

For your first normally a Chilean Rose is the place to start.

They don't really need extra any heat, but make sure they're warm, although they're not like snakes that need 30*C+ temps.

They also don't require massive amounts of space either, most will simply hide and web and you'll just see a bit of extra webbing everyday.

Feeding depends on the size, but for adults I know most feed crickets and dubai roaches.

They also don't 'need' to be handled, especially at a young age, it's very easy to split them in half and for them to lose legs etc... So if you just want one but aren't sure because you don't want to handle it, then don't worry, you never really have to.

One thing I would suggest is signing up to R*** (ReptileForumsUK) if you aren't already and ask in the spider section... I'd avoid the snake section if I was you, but the spiders side of the site is fantastic, as is lizards (not sure if you've got any reptiles already or not)

Hopefully that helps a bit :)

Have a look at Reptile Forums UK mate.  There is a few nob's on it, take what they say with a pinch of salt, but there will be some care sheets and stuff in the arachnid/spiders sections. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spider section on there is ok, I don't go on anymore due to the total number of douche nozzles that frequent the place.

Got ours in plastic tubs with about a foot square of floor space. They're all terrestrial species. Stick some peat in the bottom, half a flower pot at one end and a small water bowl at the other. Sorted.