• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Removed the engine head and....

Alexi

Took my truck down for a run earlier, and the screws holding the head had undone a bit, so the head was moving from side to side a bit. I would assume this is due to vibrations. Would this cause my truck to run lean?

Anyhoo, got home, decided to remove the head, take a look inside, and this is what I found...

DSCN1983.jpg

Is it normal to find so much burnt fuel on the cylindor head? Or is that not burnt fuel but ( :blink: ) burnt cylindor? Should I clean it? How should I go about cleaning it (I have no intentions of striping the engine down)?

Too many questions I know, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Alexi

Took my truck down for a run earlier, and the screws holding the head had undone a bit, so the head was moving from side to side a bit. I would assume this is due to vibrations. Would this cause my truck to run lean?

Anyhoo, got home, decided to remove the head, take a look inside, and this is what I found...

DSCN1983.jpg

Is it normal to find so much burnt fuel on the cylindor head? Or is that not burnt fuel but ( :blink: ) burnt cylindor? Should I clean it? How should I go about cleaning it (I have no intentions of striping the engine down)?

Too many questions I know, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Alexi

I'm no expert but that doesn't look good,that looks like burning on the top of the piston,it should ideally be metal looking still.

There also looks a lot of gritty bits on the top,or did they fall on when you took the head off?

At the very least I would say give it all a dam good wash in some fresh fuel.

:good: NO big deal mate

looks like its running very rich but dont worry

rich means extra lubrication :good:

just make sure you check the head bolt every now an then to see if they have vibrated lose,as that can get crap in an make it run lean as more fuel can get into the chamber

sorry forgot to say to clean it use WD40 an kitchen towel

just try an keep the bits down the chamber to a min,,,,,,the stuff thats got in is from the head being lose

normaly those are stopped by the air an fuel filters

best way to clean it is strip it right down but if you dont want to do that just do as i said

Edited by hoss

I wish Hoss had posted first, I got scared for a minute there...

Thanks for the replies, and yes it is very rich, I am getting no performance at all!!!

Is it worth me cleaning up do you think?

EDIT: thanks also for telling me how to clean it :)

Edited by alexi21g

I'm no expert but that doesn't look good,that looks like burning on the top of the piston,it should ideally be metal looking still.

There also looks a lot of gritty bits on the top,or did they fall on when you took the head off?

At the very least I would say give it all a dam good wash in some fresh fuel.

Lol smallman you scared him then :P:whistling:

Like I said I am no expert but the few nitro engines I have had have NEVER looked like that,it still looks burned to me :lol: and whats with all the gritty bits?

Lol, I am also no expert with nitro engines and the few ni....Ok, so this so my first nitro engine, and to be honest, it still looks as if it is a bit burnt as well...

The gritty bits, could they not just be soot?

:blink::good: iam sure i just said its from where the heads come lose an bits have got into it

an the burned look is cause its running so rich,all the extra oil is leaving it coated an black

nothing to worry about at all mate :good:

just keep the head tight as the bits are more of a concern than the colour of the fuel stains :good:

I'm no expert either, but I'd agree that it's just running too rich. By the way alexi, did the button thing on top come off easy, if you don't mind me asking?

Just another saying that the loose head would have made it run lean. I've had it on my Force 28 and it had me running around in circles trying to tune the damn thing. It was only when I got home and let the engine cool properly that I realised just how loose the head screws were - you could rock the cylinder head.

If you can then strip the engine and give it a good clean to make sure no dirt has got in. I wouldn't be too worried about the black gunge - as has been said it's running way too rich. You can try cleaning it off with something like brasso on the top of the piston. Just be very careful you don't get brasso on the liner or side of the piston.

I wouldn't use wd40 in there as it might wash the bits down into the bore past the piston, what i would do is leave piston at top dead center , smear some grease or vasoline in the bore then move pison to bottom of bore and clean the grease out, the bits will all stick to the grease and you should get all the bits out.

Edited by KiLLeR VoLT

Woah, too many replies...

Reggie, it is running very rich, I realise that. As for the button, the STS has it built into the head.

Tav, I envy your factory fresh looking engine, good for you :good:

Dionysus, Yup, how did you guess, it is running rich, but the gasket looks fine. I am prepared to assume the lack of torque is also an effect of the richness/reduced compression (as the head wasn't on properly).

Westers, sounds like we have had pretty much the same experience, how long do you reckon you were running it with a loose head without noticing? I decided not to worry about the piston head, so I just cleaned the top of the crank case.

KiLLeR VoLT, I was gonna use nitro cleaner/WD 40, but sprayed onto kitchen towel, as as you said, direct spray could result in washing stuff into the engine. I decided against it, as it probably isn't neccassary.

Thanks for all the replies, I had sorted it out last night, and with any luck, when I try it this afternoon, I will feel the performance of a fully run in STS, with the head on properly :) !