• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Super 5 SC Flux (hereafter known as the Super 5)

Hello lads, had my first problem yesterday with the super 5, i lost all drive all of a sudden so i took the body off for a closer inspection, at first i thought the pinion gear grub screw had come loose, tightened it back up again for it to slip once again, common fault on these (same with my savy flux) ive used thread lock and all sorts but wont stay tight, anyway having a further nosy into the problem i found the spur gear was waggling around like a turd in a bucket, took the gearbox out to find one of the bearings inside the box had disintergrated (think thats how you spell it) i was amazed the plastic box was still in one peice, changed them anyway to metal sheiled jobs and it seems fine now, just that ruddy pinion grub screw keeps coming loose.

My pinion kept doing that. Sounds like a bodge but I always get a bit of sand or grit in the thread lock once its on the grub. It never comes out then, just make sure you heat it with a lighter or something before you remove it again otherwise you'll strip it. I know, I've done it myself lol.

Motor is back, replaced under warranty. Hurrah

And I'm next! The shaft inside the motor has pushed out through the rear of the motor case so now slides back and forth with a bit of effort. Very odd as the actual motor still works it's just "technically" broken. Off on Holiday next week so I'll send it off before then. 

And I'm next! The shaft inside the motor has pushed out through the rear of the motor case so now slides back and forth with a bit of effort. Very odd as the actual motor still works it's just "technically" broken. Off on Holiday next week so I'll send it off before then.

How did you manage that? Post some pics.

How did you manage that? Post some pics.

Regular usage. It's been showing out the rear of the casing for a couple of months now and I was unsure if it was supposed to be there or not. Now it comes out a whole cm and slid the pinion away from the spur gear - so clearly not. Will get some pics up when I remove it Admiral :)

Regular usage. It's been showing out the rear of the casing for a couple of months now and I was unsure if it was supposed to be there or not. Now it comes out a whole cm and slid the pinion away from the spur gear - so clearly not. Will get some pics up when I remove it Admiral :)

That's borked! It really shouldn't do that. Pics would be good. What're you gonna install? Same again?

That's borked! It really shouldn't do that. Pics would be good. What're you gonna install? Same again?

Yeah colour me surprised as well. Same again seeing as it's "free" Still got just over a year left on the warranty so I'll try get my money's worth!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys , I really need your help . I am trying to get the S5 , but it's a PITA to get the money (note , I am 13 years old but I love and know lots about RC) . It would be my first 1/5 sooooo i don't know many things. Can you please tell me which are the must needed upgrades ? I am scared by the axles , I don't want problems with them . As well , can you please write me a list about your probs with it , your mods , your notes , maybe some photos aswell? A long term review if possible? Would it be a problem if I would drive the car only on 4S? Don't forget that I'm low on money , I just don't want my parents to pay my cars .Sorry for asking you so many things , but you seem a bunch of awesome guys and I can't find anywhere the info.

Sorry for my english , I'm giving my best , it's not my main language.

Thank you very much ,

Radu Bozga

On 4s you won't break anything, but it is kind of dull.

The motor won't cope with 6s for long, best bet is to sell it new and buy something more suited.

A more suitable motor is a longer can, with a lower kv. I'm looking at an 1800 kv, but need to do away with the gearbox to make the new motor fit. Dejan at Alza racing is helping me there.

The stock servo is rubbish, bin it for something stronger. Hitec or Savox.

A uBEC is also a good idea, but that applies to most leccy cars.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Morning,

I have a Savox SC1256 , which might get used . Also, how does it handle compared to your Baja? I swear that I didn't read the HPI presentation , so I don't know the motors kv . Can you tell me it? Should I swap it for a 2000kv one? What oils do you use in the diffs? And the most dumb question , what would the top speed be on 4S? What would I break if I would use 5S?

Cheers,

Radu Bozga

Morning,I have a Savox SC1256 , which might get used . Also, how does it handle compared to your Baja? I swear that I didn't read the HPI presentation , so I don't know the motors kv . Can you tell me it? Should I swap it for a 2000kv one? What oils do you use in the diffs? And the most dumb question , what would the top speed be on 4S? What would I break if I would use 5S?Cheers,Radu Bozga

Motor's*

Morning,

I have a Savox SC1256 , which might get used . Also, how does it handle compared to your Baja? I swear that I didn't read the HPI presentation , so I don't know the motors kv . Can you tell me it? Should I swap it for a 2000kv one? What oils do you use in the diffs? And the most dumb question , what would the top speed be on 4S? What would I break if I would use 5S?

Cheers,

Radu Bozga

Hello,

5s will liven the truck up a bit, but it really needs 6s to get it going.

The stock motor is a 4274, 2200 kv. That's 42 mm diameter, 74 mm long, which isn't quite enough. The 42 mm is just about enough, but ideally the motor needs more length, above 80 mm and a lower kv, 1800 or lower. Both of these will increase the torque available. Problem is, the stock set-up wont allow for a longer motor. I'm hoping to have that sorted in a week or two. Dejan at Alza racing is making a centre diff mount, this will allow the gearbox to be removed entirely, and mount the motor centrally between the TVPs. Then any length motor will fit, also allowing higher gear ratios to be used, which will compensate for the lower kv, bringing the speed back up to +30 mph.

A Savox 1256 will be fine, you'll need either a uBEC or a Rx power-cap.

So , if I get the car , this is what I should do before the first run:

15t pinion gear (Savage HP one) (running on 4S, it should be ok, right?)

500k CD

Savox SC1256 servo

UBEC

Threadlock everything

Get some spare axles

I don't want to jump the car , more high speed passes , drifting and that's all . By the way , I saw a body for Bajas , it's a rally one , do you know how it's called? http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/index.php

So , if I get the car , this is what I should do before the first run:

15t pinion gear (Savage HP one) (running on 4S, it should be ok, right?)

500k CD

Savox SC1256 servo

UBEC

Threadlock everything

Get some spare axles

I don't want to jump the car , more high speed passes , drifting and that's all . By the way , I saw a body for Bajas , it's a rally one , do you know how it's called? http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/index.php

Until I get mine running reliably, I don't want to say "yes, that's the end of your troubles!". I'll know in the next couple of weeks whether or not I've solved the issues on mine. Can you wait that long?

Until I get mine running reliably, I don't want to say "yes, that's the end of your troubles!". I'll know in the next couple of weeks whether or not I've solved the issues on mine. Can you wait that long?

You say it like I would just be a 5 years old which can't be patient ,lol . But that's alright , I compare myslef to a 5 years old little fella , waitting for his lolipop in a candy shop . I don't wear hats with Monster's logo on it or something , I am a normal guy who is only trying to extend this sport in Romania , as it's pretty unknown . And I can wait , I don't believe I'm going to get 600 GBPs till then (sadly).

You say that the ESC catches fire because of the car's weight . But , because we are speaking about some huge tires , which are pretty heavy , can't they damage the drivetrain ? Now , the car has dogbones , not CVDs , that means that we can take them out anytime we want . You can run 2WD or 4WD when you want , and if you will decide to use just 2 wheels the front diff would be a spare , which is just aweeesomeeeeee . This way you can solve the problem with the magic smoke and you will fell the power of a true 1/5 , right ? And I might be wrong , I am not as good at physics.

Best regards, 

Radu Bozga

You say it like I would just be a 5 years old which can't be patient ,lol . But that's alright , I compare myslef to a 5 years old little fella , waitting for his lolipop in a candy shop . I don't wear hats with Monster's logo on it or something , I am a normal guy who is only trying to extend this sport in Romania , as it's pretty unknown . And I can wait , I don't believe I'm going to get 600 GBPs till then (sadly).

You say that the ESC catches fire because of the car's weight . But , because we are speaking about some huge tires , which are pretty heavy , can't they damage the drivetrain ? Now , the car has dogbones , not CVDs , that means that we can take them out anytime we want . You can run 2WD or 4WD when you want , and if you will decide to use just 2 wheels the front diff would be a spare , which is just aweeesomeeeeee . This way you can solve the problem with the magic smoke and you will fell the power of a true 1/5 , right ? And I might be wrong , I am not as good at physics.

Best regards,

Radu Bozga

I'm just not confident enough about these cars to say "yes, spend 600 notes"!

You can't remove the front bones as the car has a centre diff. Lock the centre diff (Alza racing do a diff locker), and then you can go 2wd.

Others have broken numerous axles and bones, I haven't had that issue.

The wheels and tyres are not as heavy as you may think.....not compared to running true beadlocks with belted foams.

IMO, 2wd would spoil the truck, it is the 4wd that gives such fun handling and drifting abilities...

Saying that, I have decided to shelf mine for the moment; The Admiral's plans intrigue me greatly, having just received a new can which, tbh, is likely to fry again, I am not re-installing it at the moment..... If the Alza kit and a lower kv can make for more reliability, that's the road i shall follow. Besides which, more fun badgering whilst we have the good weather still......and 5ive-ing of course  :tease:  :tease:

I'm not sure what the problem is here.

I've had mine a good few months. I've run many 6s packs through it. I've not fried my esc, that runs very cool even when giving it hell.

I think these trucks are very durable. I've had some silly jumps and terrible landings. I've broken a few axles. Mainly due to not thread locking the nuts and them coming loose then jumping it. That's when they break. Since I've used red thread lock on them nuts they're staying tight and I've had no issues since touch wood.

I've not had any problems other than a wheel bearing, a diff bearing (both are normal wear and tear items), a few axles and my motor popped. Other than that it runs sweet.

Why is everyone panicking about the motor when they come with a two year warrenty anyway. So just keep getting free replacements until the warranty runs out.

My mods consist of a Savox 1256 servo and a power cap.

I paid 750 for mine before the price drop. Considering my wr8 cost near on 500 I think 600 for a 5th scale is a bargain and worth every penny.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what the problem is here.

I've had mine a good few months. I've run many 6s packs through it. I've not fried my esc, that runs very cool even when giving it hell.

I think these trucks are very durable. I've had some silly jumps and terrible landings. I've broken a few axles. Mainly due to not thread locking the nuts and them coming loose then jumping it. That's when they break. Since I've used red thread lock on them nuts they're staying tight and I've had no issues since touch wood.

I've not had any problems other than a wheel bearing, a diff bearing (both are normal wear and tear items), a few axles and my motor popped. Other than that it runs sweet.

Why is everyone panicking about the motor when they come with a two year warrenty anyway. So just keep getting free replacements until the warranty runs out.

My mods consist of a Savox 1256 servo and a power cap.

I paid 750 for mine before the price drop. Considering my wr8 cost near on 500 I think 600 for a 5th scale is a bargain and worth every penny.

I agree, mines been a huge "smile inducer"! I run a 1256, a uBEC and ramp harder than a 1/5 should be. However, the motors too small by quite some margin, so I'm ditching it for something more torquey. Once it's rebuilt, I'll get some pics up of what I've done.

Can we see how yours is looking?

I agree, mines been a huge "smile inducer"! I run a 1256, a uBEC and ramp harder than a 1/5 should be. However, the motors too small by quite some margin, so I'm ditching it for something more torquey. Once it's rebuilt, I'll get some pics up of what I've done.

Can we see how yours is looking?

You want to see how my Super 5 is looking? I can get some pics next time I use it lol. Its pretty good, the shell has taken a bit of a beating. Does need a bit of a clean up. Mainly where my shocks keep leaking.

You want to see how my Super 5 is looking? I can get some pics next time I use it lol. Its pretty good, the shell has taken a bit of a beating. Does need a bit of a clean up. Mainly where my shocks keep leaking.

That's why I no longer use the shell, too expensive and too heavy. Mine's coming together, pics to follow.

Here's the CD mount.

null_zps7f276b0c.jpg

• Like 2