• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Toxic Monster, savvy flux xl, alza racing center diff conversion, castle 1717, mamba xl2.

Toxic Basher

She runs sweet mate nicely planted and quite balanced through the air. Just need to give her a good testing on 6s now with the smaller pinion :D

:) just got to build mine up now/finish it :D

Edited by Corbs10

• 1 month later...

ok folks, been out twice with the toxic beast since my last update, you've probably seen it flying around in outlaw graphics last couple of videos if you've watched them :thumbsup:  a few changes have been made.

Ive got rid of the losi receiver box and replaced it with one i had from my old vorza short course build, pinions been dropped to a 15t, all diffs and shocks have been serviced again  :yes:

heres a couple of pics

gallery_18745_2401_880735.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_833470.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_621189.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_188806.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_1079624.jpg

Im working on a small video of it now and ill be taking her out tomorrow for a good bashing  :030:

My latest vids just uploaded to youtube now  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'm not a savage fan Pat, but I love the look of yours!

Weigh it for me when you get a chance, would be really interesting to know?

Harvey I'm sorry I took so long :( with 2 battery's fitted and the badlands on its just shy of 7kg, about 15lb although the scales are not digital so it's not 100% accurate.

• Like 1

Harvey I'm sorry I took so long :( with 2 battery's fitted and the badlands on its just shy of 7kg, about 15lb although the scales are not digital so it's not 100% accurate.

Wow, a proper time warped response there Pat!  :)

How are you keeping fella?

H

Ha ha I know sorry it took so long. I'm good though mate, chocker with work and kids but squeezing in my Rc playtime when I can :D

How's you ?

And yer dok 15lb so not light, I ran her with the 16t pinion last week and she got quite hot so knocked it down to 15t and put smaller wheels back on :)

Ha ha I know sorry it took so long. I'm good though mate, chocker with work and kids but squeezing in my Rc playtime when I can :D

How's you ?

And yer dok 15lb so not light, I ran her with the 16t pinion last week and she got quite hot so knocked it down to 15t and put smaller wheels back on :)

All good here fella!

15lb is a fair old lump of weight to haul!  Smaller wheels, less unsprung weight, MUCH better handling!  :)

All good here fella!

15lb is a fair old lump of weight to haul! Smaller wheels, less unsprung weight, MUCH better handling! :)

Truggy footwear, less rubber, more rim. Don't look as good, but definitely improve handling.

How's you? Still going to Watford?

Truggy footwear, less rubber, more rim. Don't look as good, but definitely improve handling.

How's you? Still going to Watford?

Not bad mate and yourself?

We've commissioned the track up in Bedfordshire.  You'll have to come up for a bash with us.  I'll ping you when we are there next and see if you can both come up?

Not bad mate and yourself?

We've commissioned the track up in Bedfordshire. You'll have to come up for a bash with us. I'll ping you when we are there next and see if you can both come up?

Sounds good, let us know and hopefully we can make it.

15/48 should be the sweet spot. But temps will always go up if you run on high voltage, even with the best gearing. I would put a cooling fan on the motor to keep it cool. Just for sure. Cant wait to see the vid on 6s and more !

I personally dont like when electric stuff is pushed to the limits, thats why I always choose as mild gearing as I can. The 1717 is one beast of a motor, but 7+ kg weighing truck + 6-8s voltage you plan to run might be too much even for the 1717, especially in the long run. Spare the best of its performance for special events and record-breakings, I am more than convinced it will be a blast to drive even on the mild gearing.

I'm not after the fastest of the fast the whole point of the truck is too have a perfect basher that will run all day on 4-6s I'm not planning on going for anything bigger as 6s lipo is crazy enough :)

Ill check the data log tomorrow but I suspect if I want to run 6s I'm going to have to drop another tooth or two :D

I am not a gearing guru, but my truck is geared for 60km/h on 4s and the 1520 does not break a sweat. I remember it being hot just twice, first when I ran the whole pack through a field with grass taller than the truck itself and then when I let my friend drive it. He had not driven any rc before, so the bashing looked like WOT and full brake all the time. The run was really insane, the motor was throwing my savage around like a mini revo with batteries puffed and emptied after just a half of my usual runtime, but the motor passed with flying colours. It was hot, but not too hot. Even the HK 150a ESC survived which was more than impressing :D gear her down even more, stick a fan on the motor and you will never ever see any overheating. My experience tell me the best fans are those with blades diameter of around 4cm. A big propeller does not usually cope well with the punishment the savage can take, they tend to break off the fan. The bigger the better does not hold true in this case

Thank you for all your advice dok :) it's greatly appreciated. I think a 14t was about the lowest I can go without grinding the underneath of the motor down as if I go any smaller if catches the diff output cup. Ill try the 14t for next run then get the data log up and see exact temps :D

What else can you see in the data logging? It would be very interesting to see not only the temps, but also current draw, voltage and speed in some graphs or even compare graphs from runs with different voltage. Like ECG of an rc truck :D I mean graphs of those parameters and their values on 4s vs 5s vs 6s or so to get an approximate idea what is going on in the truck in generally same circumstances with one variable changed to see its impact on the logged data. And then do the same with different tires, battery brands and c ratings, diff oils, on vs off road , different ESC settings etc :D I think you could write a book on your truck. I would call it : Understanding the Toxic Monster Physiology! I bet it would be worth reading lol :D

• Like 1

Savage bp diffs bud, I've had a lot of savages and still never killed a diff, I've snapped pins inside them but never bust any gears, just make sure the diffs are shimmed correctly and the slipper clutch is in good health and you'll be fine, in the centre diff conversion I'm running a stock Vorza diff, no probs with that either :)