• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

hubsan quad to hard for my lad to control.

martin

Bought my lad a hubsan, put the settings right down but co ordination and him being 8 he is a bit trigger happy and is struggling with it as the living room isnt massive and bieng windy at the mo he cant get a decent hover outside it blows off course, im getting ok with it can do the flips etc but struggle with the controls when its coming back to me but im ok with rc car weird hey lol, what i want to know guys before i spend my cash will a twister quad be better for him for outdoor use only as i have had a quick go with one and it seems more stable ie when you go forward then hover it doesnt carry on like the hubsan where you have to give it a little bit of opposite control, whats your thoughts guys he really wants to learn but unable with the hubsan without a large indoor area.

that is a shame martin. 

for a young pilot the hubsan is like an angry wasp, same goes even for us older pilots to.

as for a little twister quad, i own one myself and can say personaly, those little fingers will enjoy it more.

the twister has a set of four rate settings. when you turn on transmitter it always boots with

newbie mode engaged, this bumps the sensitivity down to around 20%.

you press left and the quad goes left but at a very gentle but sluggish pace.

for a younger set of fingers, its more a restriction mode, as he gets better you click up the rate setting to 40%.

after a few months your young lad is out doing you at 60% rate and some minor 100% rate flips.

be warned if you purchase for son, let it be know you will want it for yourself lol.

the twister is really a wold hiding in a sheeps jacket. it is know in the hobby world as a

WLtoys V949 . this company WLtoys does a selection in the quad range.

V929: beatle ladybug its usualy called is a nippy little direct drive quad.

V949 : is a UFO body styled quad it also has better software for a more autolevel feel.

V949 is the top dog in the range, it has a holten styled canopy and comes with module add ons.

it ships with a camera, but can also fit a bubble machine - hookandbasket - missile launcher with real fire missiles - water pistol.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Your telling me its an angry wasp mate lol, its a right little bugger, i have put the setting down to 50 on normal and all the way to 100 on expert, jesus this thing can shift by looking at it must be doing about 25mph, before i modded the bottom with padded foam and modded the motor spindle with soray can tube i have gone through one prop and siezed a motor up but freed it iff with long nosed pliers, lessoned learned do the mods 1st lol.i must admit i am struggling with it when its flying towards me especially indoors because i am under constant pressure of trying not to make a mistake but give it a few months and i shoukd be ok, i have mastered the stunts but its that bloody rudder on the throttle i seem to turn and knock the throttle up, it might be my sausage fingers but i will get there, as for my son twister quad it is out on the field where errors can be made, must admit i havent had thus much fun with rc for years cars just seem to bore me a bit now im 36 and air has solved this problem as it is a challenge, cheers for the advice :)

well martin. i can honestly say the guys that chose the v949 - v959 have not uttered a word.

i think the only words was praise and the ease the adjustable rates made learning.

as for the young lad, the twister is going to be like a kitten.

fun to play with and very crashable. as he grows with more confidence

so the quad can be adjusted and tweeked. 

for a longer runtime / better punch on throttle, upgrade to nanotech 600mah 1S batterys

for a more crisp like control and added power thrust, use GWS EP 5443 CW - CCW props.

just those two mods and 60-100% rate the quad becomes an agile learner that will take whatever he throws at it.

simple to fix as they us the same parts as the Blade MQX quadcopter.

Cheers for that mate, will the standard charger be ok with that better lipo or is a better charger needed.Also is the v949 of same quality as the twister or vice versa as they are all about

Edited by martin

Cheers for that mate, will the standard charger be ok with that better lipo or is a better charger needed.Also is the v949 of same quality as the twister or vice versa as they are all about

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Going to take him out on the field for 10 mins today so he can have a go and feel for the controls, what sort of uprated battery for the hubsan do i need to be looking at for a few minutes better flight time ?

not to sure on the hubsan my friend, am more a bigger scale quad builder. 

have a read through this thread, i know the guys had a chat about uprated batterys

and what was best around. 

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/156586-hubsan-x4-has-landed/

yes that is a good idea, get him to keep low'ish ( head hight) 

and fly some figure 8's . 

maybe before battery fizzles out of power, show him a couple flips

explain how you do it. 

charge battery take him out again and teach him a flip. that will keep young minds active and wanting even more.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Just been out on the field with my lad, big open area he is getting the feel for it but said to me why you have to pull back to stop it flying forwards and vice versa i told him the twister doesnt do that and if yoy master this one the twister will be a doddle, i took it up as high to the point of barely seeing it, i showed him all the tricks and he loved it and me lol, i am way better outside at controlling it, mind over matter i think knowing that i have room for correction.i will look at that thread cheers bud.

twister is just that bit bigger, its auto stable is code based.

but there is a new twister on the way, that will have a 3x gyro and a 3x accel all in one chip.

this will have a autostable mode via accel and gyro not just code. 

i think you when indoors just have to think a few second ahead when indoor flying.

outdoors your more free and yes it is more easy in a way. 

with the lad he is asking the right questions, if you can keep him on the hubsan more

its gonna be better in long run ( big quads, big batterys, huge power) , him learning that counter stick to stop quad is good.

its something you learn with helis to. and he can carry over to say an acro set up big quad.

next time show him a trick, give him handset and talk him through what to do.

this will build his confidence 100 fold when flying.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Yes the controls are finally sinking in my little brain of mine and now can fly it around the house and control it when facing me, had it for a week now and had half an hr each day so say about 3 and half hours of flight time and one broken prop on the 1st flight, its wierd how it suddenly all clicked together one minute im rubbish and now im ok but darent do pirroets in the house yet only outside the stunts arw easy to do though cant wait fir my sons birthday and get him the twister quad now, gonna take him out on the hubsan again today.

thats it martin

good to see father and son enjoying a hobby, is a good way to bond with the young chap,

we told you it all sinks in after the first month, looks like you grabbed it a bit early ,

nows the time to teach the son the same, make sure he gets a much flight time as you buddy.

have a good days buzzing the skys  :thumbsup:

Yep tamiya i have had a 4 channel helicopter about 3 years ago just a co axial one, had it for 3 months and flogged it, but i suppise its like anything if you dont keep ontop you loose your ability, dont really know why i got rid of it to be honest lol but must say quads are the future deffo more fun than a heli, i cant believe how good the hubsan is once the mods have been done and very fast and agile in exoert mode with the rates at 100%, i think these are very under estimated quads and once you get over the crashing and the wife moaning about marks on the walls it is a joy to fly.

wait till that twister get here and the lad shows you up

with his awesome skills, then it becomes a little father son fight.

who can make the best quad. 

be nice for you and him to sit down and build a big quad.

then take him out and you both learn to fly the big boys multirotor toys.

thats when the misses tells you the quad is not sleeping in the bed with you !! lol.

and all models are banned from house and only used in the man shed / garage

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Lol i know he will whip my butt, in the winter i use the kitchen and get crap all over her fresh table cloth oh if looks could kill, i would love to build a quad but its having time to do it and also im saving up for my 2 week family holiday but maybe one day i will do it.