• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Carisma GTB - 1/16th belt drive offroad micro thread

c0sie

How needed is the weight kit? I've only had mine on the track for 1 night so far and that was just a shakedown for the esc to get that programmed correctly. I'm guessing the weight kit would help a fair bit, my batteries are pretty light.

Mine is the 60amp version and it fits in JUST lol. I think a lot of people get away with the 35 amp but the 60amp had the same footprint so i got that one, was only 10 quid more.

I think i'm running a 15 tooth with the standard spur and it has plenty of speed on our straight but for longer i think it will need gearing up a little more, i'm not sure what tooth the spur is though? I've ordered a 16 & 17 tooth pinion.

I can not believe how epic these cars are! Yeah we had one down last week that was only a lap down on the 2wd KF's. This is my new love for RC :)

I think it will give the car more predictable handling as mine seems to be pretty light footed.

I'm running a 17t pinion at the moment and I've ordered both 15 & 16.

What tires you running? I'm on the rally blocks which seem pretty sweet

• Like 1

I will have a look at the weights, it does make sense to add some to give it more bite on the carpet. Nothings cheap when trying to buy extras and hop ups lol!!

I'm running the same as you in the Yellow compound but ive been reading that the top guys are running the softer White compound for even more grip. Tbh the Yellows do give a lot of grip.

Have you upgraded anything else on yours? I don't want to go too over the top lol, ive never been a fan of bunging every named product on a car just for it to look good but i'm well up for upgrading if it offers a durability advantage or a better performance gain :)

Edited by MattyV6

20140808_212242-1_zpsqgmmxzrn.jpg

I am running a leopard 4 pole 2435 5800kv, very nice motor and gives good range of power, swapped to alloy chassis this has stiffened it up alot which is the only down side I have found so far, I run 18t pinion on 70t spur ok for long straights. I have geared diffs that I have found great although there have been some problems with them carisma are doimg a fix kit to any one that has had any problems.

Si

I am running a leopard 4 pole 2435 5800kv, very nice motor and gives good range of power, swapped to alloy chassis this has stiffened it up alot which is the only down side I have found so far, I run 18t pinion on 70t spur ok for long straights. I have geared diffs that I have found great although there have been some problems with them carisma are doimg a fix kit to any one that has had any problems.

Si

Which chassis is that mate? Dime one?

Yes it is from Dime, I got intouch with a couple of others that made them but only Dime had any left but unsure if they have any now either?

S

To be honest I will upgrade what breaks. I am assuming you have the ally motor mount already? I'm using the Nano-tech lipo in mine. 2200mah and plenty of power

I'm trying to find some RPM arms but i don't think they do them, i cant find them anywhere?

I bought the Blue ally motor mount from Trackside spares yesterday so might have it here today :). I guess this is more for heat dissipation then strength?? 

I think i have the same lipo's as you, i'm using the ones below and they are epiccccccc!

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29023__Turnigy_nano_tech_2200mah_2S_40_80C_Lipo_Pack_TRA2820_Traxxas_1_16_models_UK_Warehouse_.html

Yes mate, same ones. We run 5min heats and 8min finals. I think I only put about 800mah back in after a race!

Motor mount is a must, especially with the heat. I got mine from PBM racing along with the kit.

Will possibly be next on the list. Went for the hobbyking 35a esc, will report on performance Sunday as I'm racing it sat night!

Thats a sweet esc! Depending on what servo you have fitted you might need to trim the heat sink to make it fit under the top plate but if you have a smaller servo fitted you can spin it round the other way so you dont need to chop it up.

How many people run fans on their ESC's? I've got one on mine but dont really know if its worth keeping on?

Yes mate, same ones. We run 5min heats and 8min finals. I think I only put about 800mah back in after a race!

Motor mount is a must, especially with the heat. I got mine from PBM racing along with the kit.

Ahh sweet! Yeah i've only managed to get the car onto the track twice so far but the lipo's seem brilliant! I reckon they could 2 5 min heats without needing a charge (although you would), they seem to be packed with power!!

Yeah i noticed my motor got pretty hot but its not over geared or anything. Fingers crossed the mount will turn up today then :)

I'm using the standard servo mount?

I will get a picture of mine later, i trimmed/cut off the side post of the standard mount. Your servo is the same size as mine so its a bit thinner, it lets you use that extra space for the esc.

If you pack the servo out with a sticky pad on the top and one on the bottom it fixes it in place with the standard bracket.

Si

They have fix kit out now i think for the gear diff, i'm not sure how much it is?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.714896108588113.1073741839.234838243260571&type=3&uploaded=3

What do you think of the alloy chassis? My mini 8 has one as standard and never really thought much about changing it, although ecotek does do a banging carbon one for the Mini 8! Whats it like compared to the standard one for the Carisma?

The kits for the diffs have been announced but no one has told anyone how to claim them, the last time it was cvd's that where too long for the wider geared diffs and I got replacement shafts from cml free of charge.

The alloy chassis adds weight but also makes it abit too stiff over the stock one, it does however help alot with heat dispersion through the alloy motor mount, running a castle micro pro esc that is 35a and the 4 pole motor it gets no where near as hot as with stock chassis or the carisma 5700kv motor that I had previously with hobbywing 60a esc, the reason for changing esc was just size options I had the cooling fins cut down to fit under the top deck but the miceo pro is a perfect fit and copes great.

Si

• Like 1

Was a tight fit but new esc and motor are in!

9d4823ea3d2184cf949ac1de250e2439.jpg

This is how i have mine fitted, yeah its pretty tight in there isn't it lol!! But having it this way you can run a fan and also there's no need to trim the heat sink to make it fit in.

Did you trim the servo mount off a little, thats the only way i could wedge mine in?

I'll get a picture up of mine.

Edited by MattyV6

The kits for the diffs have been announced but no one has told anyone how to claim them, the last time it was cvd's that where too long for the wider geared diffs and I got replacement shafts from cml free of charge.

The alloy chassis adds weight but also makes it abit too stiff over the stock one, it does however help alot with heat dispersion through the alloy motor mount, running a castle micro pro esc that is 35a and the 4 pole motor it gets no where near as hot as with stock chassis or the carisma 5700kv motor that I had previously with hobbywing 60a esc, the reason for changing esc was just size options I had the cooling fins cut down to fit under the top deck but the miceo pro is a perfect fit and copes great.

Si

Ive been offered a brand new geared diff for a good price but i'm wondering if i should just give it a miss?? Is it worth fitting as it is WITHOUT the fix kit or am i just wasting time? I've read the don't work too well?

DMS racing do a carbon fibre chassis, this might have a little more flex than the ali one? My mini 8 has the factory ali one and after driving the Carisma you can tell the difference. I guess the Carisma is a little more forgiving?

http://www.dms-racing.com/index.php?keyword=carisma+gtb&limitstart=0&option=com_virtuemart&view=category&25e30d8d655d2190638af68748dafc86=

This is how i have mine fitted, yeah its pretty tight in there isn't it lol!! But having it this way you can run a fan and also there's no need to trim the heat sink to make it fit in.

Did you trim the servo mount off a little, thats the only way i could wedge mine in?

I'll get a picture up of mine.

Yes mate then used tape to secure servo. It certainly ain't going anywhere! Ordered programming card today. Got 4batteries now too and a parallel board on its way. That way I can keep battery's storage charged till race day then charge them all together!
  • Like 1

Ive been offered a brand new geared diff for a good price but i'm wondering if i should just give it a miss?? Is it worth fitting as it is WITHOUT the fix kit or am i just wasting time? I've read the don't work too well?

DMS racing do a carbon fibre chassis, this might have a little more flex than the ali one? My mini 8 has the factory ali one and after driving the Carisma you can tell the difference. I guess the Carisma is a little more forgiving?

http://www.dms-racing.com/index.php?keyword=carisma+gtb&limitstart=0&option=com_virtuemart&view=category&25e30d8d655d2190638af68748dafc86=

I would get the geared diffs to be honest they are better than the ball raced stock diffs and if you have any problems get the kit it should be free, carisma are really good at customer care and if they feel they are to blame they admit it and rectify it.

Si

• Like 1

Ok finally, here's a pic of our 2 Carisma GTB team cars for South West Indoor RC. We are going to the Micro Nationals this Sunday :)

I'll get some inside pics up tomorrow with the shells off.

We only got the shells back today (KifoPaint) so ive not had a chance to sticker mine up yet (Green shell is mine) and the Orange shell is Josh Hardwicks :)

We ran these for the first time tonight at Torbay Micro track where Josh Qualified 2nd in the A final and ended up taking the win and i qualified 1st in the B and ended up with 3rd after getting stuck on a tyre just after the start and being lapped on the very first lap :/

One of my tires is on the wrong way, that has now been sorted lol.

1376642_1494680477463804_200376440345342

10698700_1493973054218766_46558923254276

Ok finally, here's a pic of our 2 Carisma GTB team cars for South West Indoor RC. We are going to the Micro Nationals this Sunday :)

I'll get some inside pics up tomorrow with the shells off.

We only got the shells back today (KifoPaint) so ive not had a chance to sticker mine up yet (Green shell is mine) and the Orange shell is Josh Hardwicks :)

We ran these for the first time tonight at Torbay Micro track where Josh Qualified 2nd in the A final and ended up taking the win and i qualified 1st in the B and ended up with 3rd after getting stuck on a tyre just after the start and being lapped on the very first lap :/

One of my tires is on the wrong way, that has now been sorted lol.

1376642_1494680477463804_200376440345342

10698700_1493973054218766_46558923254276

Must admit I chuckled at the tyre! Paint looks spot on. How much did that set you back?